Scott's Shipping Services - FORMERLY UNDER "POSSIBLE LIQUIDATION"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott's isn't the first perpetrator of this type of scam, and won't be the last either!

I was about to place a big order with iWarehouse about 10 years ago. I was with ABSA at the time and the OTP just wouldn't arrive. They called me the next day about the order and the fact that I did not make the payment. I was on board a plane about to take off and had to switch off my phone. When we arrived in Zanzibar I forgot all about it. When we arrived back home I had a number of voice messages and emails about the payment. I decided to wait as I wanted to order something for my then boyfriend. A few days later I called them to ask about adding two things to the order - the phone just rang.... Close shave!!
 
Last edited:
Scott's isn't the first perpetrator of this type of scam, and won't be the last either!

I was about the place a big order with iWarehouse about 10 years ago. I was with ABSA at the time and the OTP just wouldn't arrive. They called me the next day about the order and the fact that I did not make the payment. I was on board a plane about to take off and had to switch off my phone. When we arrived in Zanzibar I forgot all about it. When we arrived back home I had a number of voice messages and emails about the payment. I decided to wait as I wanted to order something for my then boyfriend. A few days later I called them to ask about adding two things to the order - the phone just rang.... Close shave!!

Ok. Not even remotely related but ok
 
Nobody wanted to get the ball rolling. Just like you report a stolen cellphone to the police not with the intention of getting the phone back but rather to get a case number that can be used to blacklist the phone/claim from insurance, someone needed to do SOMETHING to get the ball rolling to take action.

It took until last week for someone to do that, everybody else was of the opinion that it was too much effort. There are procedures in place to prevent premature/incorrect action from being taken and all we asked was SOMEONE do SOMETHING, but until the thread started on Thursday last week, everybody possibly affected chose to rather remain silent. He was given the 24 hours we allow (and a bit more - weekends don't count), but a satisfactory response was not given in time.

Also I was on a well deserved holiday, so the ban was late in coming. Just like @Priapus most Sunday nights.

I also don’t understand why nobody would even list a finger to report it to their bank.

Sure if you paid by EFT it’s much harder to get it back…but start the process with the bank and there are systems in place that will at least work towards stopping this happening to others.
 
I’m surprised how long it took, it looked like some of the mods were bros with SSS, being a bit more lenient than they would be towards other users, which quite a few people picked up on in the Carbonite thread someone linked to earlier.
It might look like that, but it's simply not true. I defended him in public, and it's purely because he was a long-standing member who did a lot of good for Carbonite and the community.

Until he didn't.

I also told him in PMs that he must give something. Him claiming to hide behind lawyers who has to approve everything is not working. Creditors have rights during the process, and they were left in the dark. Just "****'s gone sideways, yo" and that's it. I urged him for this info, for any damn info, and he just said "nope, not allowed".

Eventually we decided to stop trying, and removed his access from Carbonite. I was the one who defended him, and I'm also the one who initiated the conversation to get him removed in the end.
 
It might look like that, but it's simply not true. I defended him in public, and it's purely because he was a long-standing member who did a lot of good for Carbonite and the community.

Until he didn't.

I also told him in PMs that he must give something. Him claiming to hide behind lawyers who has to approve everything is not working. Creditors have rights during the process, and they were left in the dark. Just "****'s gone sideways, yo" and that's it. I urged him for this info, for any damn info, and he just said "nope, not allowed".

Eventually we decided to stop trying, and removed his access from Carbonite. I was the one who defended him, and I'm also the one who initiated the conversation to get him removed in the end.

Crazy argument on his side: "Nope, not allowed"

So basically he is locked in a hamster wheel, supposedly slaving away and sworn to secrecy by his overlords.

They are in control, and no one is allowed any updates. Boss' orders.
 
Crazy argument on his side: "Nope, not allowed"

So basically he is locked in a hamster wheel, supposedly slaving away and sworn to secrecy by his overlords.

They are in control, and no one is allowed any updates. Boss' orders.
Legally if he is legitimately in business rescue he is obligated to publish the details of the business rescue practitioners and the rescue plan and send it to all creditors and affected parties likewise the CIPC needs to be notified.

Seems this is just another "sorry guys I’m in liquidation" rouse to buy time/fend off creditors/mislead people while still trading and potentially netting more "customers" that may sadly turn out to be more victims.

If a company claims to be in liquidation or to be in business rescue but it turns out that was not the case and they were misrepresenting their trading position then there's a very good probability that that would be seen as fraudulent.

"4. What preliminary actions are required of a company that commences voluntary business rescue?
In terms of section 129(3) & (4), once a company has commenced business rescue proceedings, pursuant to the passing of a board resolution in terms of section 129, the company must within five business days of filing the Form CoR 123.1, resolution and statement, with CIPC,
  • publish notice of the resolution, together with a sworn statement as to the reasons why the company is financially distressed, detailing the prospects of rescuing the company, to all affected persons; and
  • appoint a business rescue practitioner;
  • after appointing a business rescue practitioner,
  • file a notice of the appointment of the business rescue practitioner within two business days with CIPC; and
  • publish a notice of the appointment of the business rescue practitioner within five business days after the notice is filed."
 
I think his company rep status got revoked. Which means he isn't allowed,to advertise nor promote SSS. If he was to do so, one way ticket to banville....

A bit of useless action, honestly it is better than nothing......I prefer what carb did it would be ideal....
 
Crazy argument on his side: "Nope, not allowed"

So basically he is locked in a hamster wheel, supposedly slaving away and sworn to secrecy by his overlords.

They are in control, and no one is allowed any updates. Boss' orders.
If that was the case. He would give you the lawyers info to contact. In fact if it were me that would be the first thing I would have done was to post contact info of the lawyer.

If it was all true and some one contacted the lawyer and explained what was going on, any information provided would be in the public domain. In fact the cover story reeks..... Whether business rescue or under legal supervision I would provide the practitioners details let them deal with it.

If there was indeed business rescue in place as he says....there is nothing that prohibits him from speaking about business related aspects not related to the business rescue/supervision or whatever he wants to call it....
As pointed our here it would be part of his core duties to do so, as a "director" of the company

Could clear up anything and everything by just providing the alleged lawyers info with a reference number.....
 
If I have to take a guess;

1. Business was slow / failing and that led to a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" situation, until that imploded.
2. Initially liquidation was used as a smokescreen "oh sorry, money gone, speak to lawyers"
3. Until he realised he lost his source of income.
4. Next step is to scrap debt book, scrub social media, start over with new clients
5. (we are here now) eventually respond with a revised version of events, something like: "I was actually working with one of my creditors lawyers that make me sign a NDA until I paid him, I couldn't liquidate because I have a duty to my customers, here I can pay you off R3,50 for the next 99 years".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X