Seacom obtains route through Mozambique

Species8472

and provides Zimbabwean customers with resiliency and redundancy.

I am sorry, I lol'd.

Does not help redundancy when the network mostly breaks on the other end.... :D

grok

Honorary Master
Strange how Seacom still forges ahead with deals like this while EASSy & WACS are .. nowhere to be seen?

mRsKu11

Nicework SC! moved up from 1/10 to 3/10 in my books. Still a long way to go

ambo

Expert Member
Strange how Seacom still forges ahead with deals like this while EASSy & WACS are .. nowhere to be seen?
WACS is still under construction and similar links are being built right now. EASSy is a consortium cable which works on a different business model to Seacom which is a stand-alone commercial venture.

Seacom desperately needs every bit of publicity it can get. The other two are fully sold before the go live.

ponder

Honorary Master
I don't see why (besides money) existing telcos can't build a terrestrial redundant ring around africa hooking up to the cable stations & their national networks. You don't need many fiber pairs (2-4) and should any cable leg suffer a failure there will be a redundant path. You can then take this a step further and mesh it for landlocked countries which will create a lot of path diversity.

ambo

Expert Member
I don't see why (besides money) existing telcos can't build a terrestrial redundant ring around africa hooking up to the cable stations & their national networks.
Terrestrial fibre can cost 10 to 100 times more per kilometer than undersea fibre. What would the business case for this be?