Seagate's RMA process really works!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
So a few weeks ago I sold a used 500GB Seagate HDD on BidOrBuy. I bought it back in February 2011 and it was not used too much. When the buyer got it it was not working so we did an exchange and I initially feared that the drive failed due to negligence. I often sell HDDs and I have never had an issue before.

Upon receiving the broken drive I tested it and indeed it seemed like it has been dropped or something because it just tries spinning up for a minute or so and then nothing. Out of curiosity I tried the RMA feature on Seagate's site and before I knew it I had an RMA issued.

The closest Seagate RMA center was identified as Amsterdam so I printed the shipping label and sent the drive there. It would have been R280 with airmail but I was stingy and thought I would take a chance on surface mail at R130. Past experience has shown that this could take a month to three months but I was in no hurry.

Only after sending it did I get an email saying that I only have 30 days to get the drive to them but 5 days after that I got a confirmation email saying they got my drive! Never had surface mail that fast and the very same day they gave me the DHL tracking details of the return drive. The ETA was the 19th but this morning I got my replacement drive.

So I have to give compliments to Seagate on this very smooth and super surprising RMA :)

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Hi what happens if I ship a drive and they receive after the warranty expires ?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You need to do the RMA before you ship it. Then you have 30 days to get it there.

heartbroken

Expert Member
Mine got lost somehow when I tried sending it. Luckily it was only a 500Gb as well. Now I know to rather sort out the issue locally. Glad you came right though!

kilobits

Executive Member
No, one of those boxes with the foam cutouts specially for hard drives.

Hey Roux... what did you send your drive in. Seagate Netherlands insisted I send them my drive in just such a box you received your replacement in... it was not negotiable according to them... and anything other than 1) a box 2) foam and 3) anti-static bag / plastic container would invalidate my RMA.

I was also instructed NOT to use any overland service... at the time it would have been around R380 per drive.

Lucky you and YAY!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I sent it back in a Seagate anti-static bag, inside bubble-wrap, inside a fairly big box filled with shredded paper. Guess I really was lucky.