self-mutilation

superB

Do you know anybody who does this? Have you ever seen anybodies scars? I hear that some people burn, others cut themselves, some pull out their hair... there's a myriad of possibilities...

Just wondering if anybody has dealt with anything like it? What was your reaction to seeing the scars or results of that mutilation?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Have dealt with it....

TBH its one of those attention seeking things, at least the incident I dealt with...

Surv0

Executive Member
Attention seekers and people with serious issues...
guess it only happens to kids because as you grow up you learn how to deal with these issues on a mature level.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Staff member
Recently met a girl that used to slash herself with razor blades. I asked her about it and she was quite open about this peculiar disorder. She used to cover the wounds up so nobody would notice so she reckons it wasn't for attention. She also said she would do it when people were disappointed with something she had done or if she had been reprimanded. Probably some form of self hatred. Glad she stopped doing it.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Staff member
Datura : it is in a way a form of self hatred/loathing.... and it is incredibly difficult to stop from what I know...
She said it took her a long time to recover. She had relapses that became less and less frequent until they stopped completely. It does cross her mind from time to time but thankfully she has the power to get over the urge for now. I hope she always will. Not an easy thing for most people to comprehend or understand. I was self destructive for many years (but in more subtle ways) and only realised after about 6yrs of destroying myself what I was doing.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah, its pretty much the most visible form of self-destruction... thankfully I never went down that path and was also alot more subtle in my choice of ways of self-destruction...

Thankfully its also one of the hardest forms to hide from people close to you... BUT after being involved with someone who was this way once, I will never do it again... the emotional toll it took on me was immense and not something I'll ever repeat again.

Napalm

Expert Member
well i know for some people its actually Erotic, cutting, burning themself. I know Angelina Jolie was into those kinda stuffs *i read about it in People Mag i think*

But yeah, i think you get plenty of versions of Self-mutilation. Obviously the one you do yourself, and then obviously people who go out and basically want to get hurt. *Want to get beaten up, going out and basically trying to cause trouble and get beat to a pulp*

Also i think tattoo's is a type of Self-mutilation , its all about the pain. (some of you might disagree with me tho)

Cadavre777

Expert Member
Attention seekers and people with serious issues...
guess it only happens to kids because as you grow up you learn how to deal with these issues on a mature level.
Don't be too quick to brand others as having serious issues or seeking attention. Each to their own regarding their personal matters. What hasn't been mentioned is that some just do it for the sake of enjoyment. Who are we to judge?

EDIT: oops, Napalm beat me to it :D

The_Techie

Resident Techie
Also i think tattoo's is a type of Self-mutilation , its all about the pain. (some of you might disagree with me tho)
Tattoos and piercings are almost types of self-mutilation and personal disfigurement in my book. But if they want to do it, I won't stop them.

blunomore

Honorary Master
A friend of mine did/does it. She is 29 and it is definitely not for attention. She was sexually abused as a child. She also got divorced about 4 years ago.

I think the only way to explain it, is that people who do it, has so much emotional pain that they try to cause themselves physical pain as an outlet for what they feel.

Napalm

Expert Member
WKJ, yes i would say Tattoos and piercings is a type of Self-mutilation. But its one i could almost oversee. Since its also a type of Art, well some people think of it as Arts.

Also some tattoo's are quite nice, not that i would put on on myself. But i see why someone would maybe wanna get a tattoo or at least consider getting one.

Napalm

Expert Member
blunomore, some people have been abused as children or adults and that causes Psychological problems. Wich could be the obvious cause of that self mutilation.

I'm not a PRO to give advice, but my best guess would be that those persons that were abused feel degraded and worthless. I've heard of some saying they feel nothing anymore, and basically hurt themself just to feel alive, or hurt themself so that people can see the marks and people start asking or give attention.

But yes, its not always just to get attention. It could be all in the mind, since we all feel pain and pleasure in different ways. some people just like the pain. Its almost like a orgasm to them. *not that i want to start saying kinky stuff in this thread, cause the subject is quite sensitive*

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
For me personally, looking back it was a rebelling fad type of thing .... used to scratch words into my arm (hate, darkness, sin, etc) Grew up and out of it I guess.

Pixie22

Expert Member
cutting oneself is a good way to temporarily snap out of depression. The pain, the blood.. lets you know you are alive. When you are depressed you already feel like you are dead, almost like you have no emotion. Cutting yourself reminds you that you are alive, and therefore can start to feel good.

Ivan...

Expert Member
cutting oneself is a good way to temporarily snap out of depression. The pain, the blood.. lets you know you are alive. When you are depressed you already feel like you are dead, almost like you have no emotion. Cutting yourself reminds you that you are alive, and therefore can start to feel good.
Spoke to my shrink aboot it, apparently your body releases endorphins (sp?) after you get hurt or get cut, thats why it feels good. But it is very much a self hatred/self anger thing.

Havent cut myself in 3 years...but in the meantime I've found new, more subtler ways of self destruction :):(

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I know a dude who's entire forearms are just one web of scars. He didn't seem to bothered about hiding it.

Scary stuff.

ETA /damn. old-ish thread. sorry

Natas

Expert Member
I used to cut myself, for fun, I'm a well balanced individual, even if I do say so myself. Some people cut themselves cause they are f00ked in teh head... others cut themselves... just.. It used to piss my parents off no end... I htink I did cause in a way I have always ben into body modification. Tattoos, scarring, branding and piercing.. I have a piercing, but would love to get a tattoo, just one... I would like to ink my one WHOLE arm completely black...

I once got a ride with some chick I had never met before... she had herhands on her lap... her wrists were completely f__cked.. I mean COVERED in scars... she saw me looking at them.. I looked at her and said "cool"... they realy did look pretty cool.. a bunch of scars that tell a pretty hectic story