Sentech scrambles SABC in Zimbabwe

booya30

I also got reports that it's affected Namibia, where they use Vivid decoders to access SABC and E-tv

MKFrost

Expert Member
The switching-off of the three SABC free-to-air channels meant Zimbabweans now could only view state broadcaster, the Zimbabwean Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC), the paper reported.

Tell me that I'm understanding this wrong.... for the past 20 odd years I had to pay the SABC for the 'privilege' of [not] watching the junk they show while the citizens in other countries could just watch this for free?

Griz

Expert Member
Tell me that I'm understanding this wrong.... for the past 20 odd years I had to pay the SABC for the 'privilege' of [not] watching the junk they show while the citizens in other countries could just watch this for free?

>yes

Marcan

So you belong to the minority of 30-35% that pay for their TV license in SA ?
Anyway SABC gets only 18% of their income from license fees , about 80% comes from advertising.
Read my comment under the original article on Business Day http://www.bdlive.co.za/business/media/2013/07/03/mugabe-the-big-winner-in-sentechs-zimbabwe-tv-cuts.

Last edited: