Seperating work and play

flashfire208

Hi all , while im waiting for my new PC to arrive i decided to ask you guys to help me finally ,truly seperate my work and play on my new machine . I want to have a "work " profile / hard drive /partition/ your idea that will let me do things such as MS OFFICE , netbeans , encarta , internet . and NOT be able to access my 'play' documents/hard drive (ie.Games , movies etc ) any idea how to do this ??

Thanks in advance

flashfire208

But in dual boot im sure you can Access all other files , would netbeans still be the same on linux ? would i need another copy of windows for a virtual machine ?

LFX

Expert Member
ok i just saw the emphasis on 'not'

what you can do is just hide the partition/drive with a reghack

ponder

Honorary Master
would i need another copy of windows for a virtual machine ?
Dunno, what does the license say? Does it not allow you to install on more than one home computer. Personally that is not something I would stress about..

In XP you can set folders/files so only the owner of the files can see them.

VM or Dualboot will do the job. I dont really like rebooting so prefer VMs. With a VM you can stil use a totally seperate partition.

flashfire208

i would like to dual boot , making it harder to be distracted by just minimizing vm . how do you do the reg hack ?

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
But in dual boot im sure you can Access all other files , would netbeans still be the same on linux ? would i need another copy of windows for a virtual machine ?
No, I don't think so. If the profile on the second boot is password protected, it won't allow you to access the files in say my documents etc. However I see that this does not entirely solve your problem.