Shadow Cloud Gaming Question

Would you use Shadow if it works in South Africa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ahh..yes good point.

Ya..I thought about it using via vpn. but ya there's lag added in there too.

well lets see how it goes.

it's still a nice holiday experiment.

stefan9

Executive Member
No, one of the mayor parts of pc gaming is the customization. This takes all of that away.

So for me no wouldn't use it even if latency wasn't an issue.

Hey everyone,

I've just taken the step to order from Shadow today.

I will definitely point out that I do not expect to use this for competitive gaming at all.
I am really trying to see if the service is useful (and usable) from South Africa for casual gaming, working and some more.

I will however attempt competitive gaming on: CSGO [Europe servers and SA for the sake of testing], PUBG [In Europe servers, which, will likely result in similar latency as we play with here BUT in better quality [Or just FPS]], GTAV online [SA and Europe by joining friends].

I do however have to wait a while for activation, I will video some results if I get the time.
Thanks for reading!
anything yet?

Mystic_ZA

Hey Everyone,

Shadow finally became available to login to today!

Unfortunately I am out today for new years, so I will not be able to start tests today.
I have signed into to check it works, noticed some settings need immediate adjustment such as mouse and bitrate.

Will have a video and forum reply with more details likely from 1st or 2nd Jan 2019.

Have a good new year, hope to get back to you all soon!

dagelf

I live in a tiny flat and am quite desperate to have a really clean living space.

Having lived in tiny little flats in several building complexes, I've been researching and testing thin clients and KVM solutions and MDC's and off for almost a decade.

Even a computer screen and keyboard feels like a desecration of my living space... adding a noise-polluting, power sucking computer box makes the place unlivable. That, coupled with the hours it takes setting up most games, really ruins the experience for me... My best month of the last three years was when I took all the computers to the garage and only had a tiny little laptop that I can hide out of sight when work is over...

I can't begin to explain to you how wonderful it feels to have a clean, minimalist home, that's neat as a pin... and if you work with computers, just the sight of a computer reminds you of work and makes it harder for you to relax or switch off.

Of course this is SA, and I am a unique individual and hardly representative of the market, so my suspicion is that until the technology to do this is commoditized, this will be a niche market, and a company like Shadow will not deploy any infrastructure here, so it will fall to someone like you, or me, who wants to build this for ourselves - and maybe some friends.

My thinking has been - if I could just run an ethernet cable to my computer, and get all the performance, I'm sold. For great quality VR, shrinking the end-user device enough to make this possible might take another few years, and the ability to have bigger devices hidden in a data room or data center somewhere, we should always be able to offer more performance than an "edge" device.

Well, I'm finally there, I've got 10GbE sub 10ms latency to most fiber ISPs, and have a proof of concept that works on Nvidia - haven't managed to get Radeon down to the low latency needed for remote display.

If you're willing or able to help setting up something like this, any part of it - creating a website or marketing it to test the demand, help with Linux configuration, embedded systems, software development or you can help finance the operation, or negotiate a great deal with Shadow so we don't have to do our own R&D (or if you've tried) - (not holding my breath, they will almost certainly give us unmeetable targets)... so whichever way, I'd love to put the tech on the table to enable any ISP to offer this - if you're keen to help solve the problem, get in touch!

ok, I just got access to my shadow....and I'm impressed.

I'm in a hotel right now with 60Mbps/30Mbps connection according to Speedtest app, and I decided to try to login on my MacBook...with little expectation of it working ..or well.

but it loaded up fine, I'm able to stream the win10 machine just fine. it has about 1-2 second delay when moving the mouse quickly but so far for browsing etc.. it works great.

when I get back home I'll try it on my home network and see if the performance is any better.

See the machine specs below.
I'll have to see how it is for a game and if its better than windows installed on my MacBook in bootcamp.

but as far as being able to access anywhere without it being a resource hog on my machine... I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 9.19.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 12.19.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Shadow finally became available to login to today!

Unfortunately I am out today for new years, so I will not be able to start tests today.
I have signed into to check it works, noticed some settings need immediate adjustment such as mouse and bitrate.

Will have a video and forum reply with more details likely from 1st or 2nd Jan 2019.

Have a good new year, hope to get back to you all soon!
hey bro reallyinterested..pls could u update howit went with shadow

ok, I just got access to my shadow....and I'm impressed.

I'm in a hotel right now with 60Mbps/30Mbps connection according to Speedtest app, and I decided to try to login on my MacBook...with little expectation of it working ..or well.

but it loaded up fine, I'm able to stream the win10 machine just fine. it has about 1-2 second delay when moving the mouse quickly but so far for browsing etc.. it works great.

when I get back home I'll try it on my home network and see if the performance is any better.

See the machine specs below.
I'll have to see how it is for a game and if its better than windows installed on my MacBook in bootcamp.

but as far as being able to access anywhere without it being a resource hog on my machine... I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

View attachment 598522 View attachment 599100
hey man super interested and was wondering how it works with gaming

Ha I totally forgot to check on that. hmm know any games I should try? last thing Iv'e ever really played is Starcraft!!!

drop me a few links and I'll see if I can spin a few up and try them out.
Ha I totally forgot to check on that. hmm know any games I should try? last thing Iv'e ever really played is Starcraft!!!

drop me a few links and I'll see if I can spin a few up and try them out.
msybr fortnite i am interested to see wat ping u get in the gsme snd is the speed really 1gig persecond

repsonse time is too long for useful reaction time for any form of real time gaming... but should be fine for turn based stuff (like chess heh heh heh) and of course non game activities that can use a high powered machine.

yup...but that was never part of my criteria as I never considered it for gaming period.

I use it for statistical analysis and data visualizations. so it works pretty great for me. :)