sharing a fiber connection

joker08

Expert Member
I have a fiber connection and my neighbors dont. What I was thinking of is getting a 1GBPS connection and then sharing it with my neighbors on my left and right. Lets say they both agree and they are completely trustworthy in terms of payment and everything. Also setup cost doesnt matter as long as its few hundred rands or a thousand excluding the new router. What is the best way forward for this kind of setup?
My house is in the middle and there is boundary walls on both sides. My Idea was running a ethernet cable from my router to the roof and then over the boundary wall to their roof. Install two routers in their house and voila 1GBPS for R500 each house instead of 20mbps for R800.
what do u think ?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You should have just done it and kept it all to yourself!
Using a cabled solution is a very good idea, rather than Wi-Fi.
Investigate a possible fibre solution iso Ethernet cabling.
Of course completely illegal in terms of current telco legislation hence why you should have just done it and sworn your neighbours to total secrecy on pain of death.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
yup cable all the way is the best
just dont let your ISP find out, very frowned upon

Speedster

Honorary Master
If you can get within decent WiFi range you can set a router up that picks up your WiFi and creates a new network on their side. Obviously cabled will be first prize, if you can make that happen.

joker08

Expert Member
I am not worried about it being illegal, there are worse things happening around me than this. But thanks for the heads up, I will be mentally ready for any law suites.
But what I am really worried about is how reliable this setup will be. I already have ethernet running from my router(in the kitchen) to my study and lounge(TV box) but running a cable to the neighbor will be more than 20 meter of ethernet cable and I havent done something like this before.
Also I cant go in the roof so possibly I will hire some electrician to run the cable from my roof and their roof and put conduits where needed.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
In Dar es Salaam, years ago, I saw and ethernet cable strung between two building across a street!. More than 600 m!
And that was Cat 5. Cat 6 will handle the distance even better. The quality of the routers and the cable connections are more likely to be an issue than the cable distance.

Reactions: Yuu

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
What about splitting the bandwidth? One neighbour could max the line out then its slow for the rest of you.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
In Dar es Salaam, years ago, I saw and ethernet cable strung between two building across a street!. More than 600 m!
And that was Cat 5. Cat 6 will handle the distance even better. The quality of the routers and the cable connections are more likely to be an issue than the cable distance.

Not possible without repeaters as Ethernet have a max length of 100M without repeaters.

djiceman

If you want to isolate the networks(cable), apply bandwidth limiting, etc. You can use a mikrotik router. My own preference is the RB750UPr2, but Ive used this on a 200mb connection.

Regarding the 1gbps connection, its most likely only 1gbps local traffic while international is ~100mb.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That will be about configuration management and is certainly possible.

joker08

Expert Member
I am from Mumbai and that is normal there too. A mesh of ethernet cables from one building to another. They use repeaters for long distances.
Its fun to watch them install the cables. they take a tennis ball and tie it to a string and throw it across and then tie the ethernet cable to the string to haul the cable.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Not possible without repeaters as Ethernet have a max length of 100M without repeaters.

There were no repeaters! It certainly did not work at optimum performance but it worked! Our project was to "improve throughput", not to install a system to replace a non-working system! We were as incredulous as you are but there is nothing like need to inspire creativity.

joker08

Expert Member
What about splitting the bandwidth? One neighbour could max the line out then its slow for the rest of you.
one works for a law firm and the other is an automobile engineer with a laptop. We have fiber here for over a year but they haven't signed up yet, dont think bandwidth will be an issue as of now.

joker08

Expert Member
If you want to isolate the networks(cable), apply bandwidth limiting, etc. You can use a mikrotik router. My own preference is the RB750UPr2, but Ive used this on a 200mb connection.

Regarding the 1gbps connection, its most likely only 1gbps local traffic while international is ~100mb.
u are right its 200mb internationl, but still beats my 20/2 connection.
but now that u mentioned it, I think bandwidth management will be required.

Speedster

Honorary Master
U are right, from my router to their router shouldn't be more than 50 meters with all the twists and turns. .
What would be the closest you'd be able to get routers to each other? WiFi will definitely be the easiest solution, even if cable is perhaps more optimal.

Last edited:

chewiesw

Expert Member
one works for a law firm and the other is an automobile engineer with a laptop. We have fiber here for over a year but they haven't signed up yet, dont think bandwidth will be an issue as of now.
Just because they haven't doesn't mean they won't. I didn't have Netflix till I had fiber, I only sailed the high seas
during the free 12 am 6 am slot. Now I sail and watch Netflix and a lot more YouTube anytime the mood strikes.

mister

Executive Member
Use fibre between the houses so you are not electrically connected.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
My Idea was running a ethernet cable from my router to the roof and then over the boundary wall to their roof. Install two routers in their house and voila 1GBPS for R500 each house instead of 20mbps for R800.
what do u think ?

You have the correct license? Otherwise what you are suggesting is illegal.

Also, I'm tagging this thread for reference the next time people start complaining about the high cost for FNO's to install FTTH infrastructure. That just goes up when people do what you're suggesting.