Shooting at Brooklyn Mall

konfab

Honorary Master
A civilian saw the robbers fleeing, said the police, after which he took out his gun to apprehend them.

That was brave, but stupid. If those robbers were not directly threatening someone's life he should have just laid low.

DanDango

Honorary Master
A civilian saw the robbers fleeing, said the police, after which he took out his gun to apprehend them.

The robbers then shot the civilian, took his gun, and fled the scene, said the SAPS.

:wtf:

bokdrol

Executive Member
I have just come from there. Everyone was trapped for two hours. I always felt safe there. No more.
I heard 3 gunshots.

bokdrol

Executive Member
O no!:crying: Was it a civilian that was killed? I thought it was a robber.

bokdrol

Executive Member
Oh I see the injured man may survive. The paramedics didn't seem in much of a hurry, so I assumed he was dead. Well some good news.

The robbers then shot the civilian, took his gun, and fled the scene, said the SAPS

I ARE RAMBO!

Glad no-one but this idiot got injured... Another responsible gun owner.

j4ck455

Executive Member
The news article suggests that the civilian started the gunfire as the three robbers were already "fleeing", and implies that there had been no exchange of gunfire up to that point in time.

If that is accurate, the civilian basically put the lives of everyone else at risk and is not a hero, more like a moron with a firearm, and ironically he no longer has his firearm as the robbers stole that from him to use in another robbery.

It would be slightly different if the robbers were already firing, or if the civilian was actually an off duty cop, however the lives of innocent civilians would still be at risk from stray bullets even if this happened in a parking lot instead of inside the crowded shopping mall.

That said, I would expect the same reckless response if shopping mall security were armed.

_TrXtR_

The news article suggests that the civilian started the gunfire as the three robbers were already "fleeing", and implies that there had been no exchange of gunfire up to that point in time.

If that is accurate, the civilian basically put the lives of everyone else at risk and is not a hero, more like a moron with a firearm, and ironically he no longer has his firearm as the robbers stole that from him to use in another robbery.

It would be slightly different if the robbers were already firing, or if the civilian was actually an off duty cop, however the lives of innocent civilians would still be at risk from stray bullets even if this happened in a parking lot instead of inside the crowded shopping mall.

That said, I would expect the same reckless response if shopping mall security were armed.

From how I understand it, your 'moron' had a gun on him, they saw it, took it off him, and killed him.
Apparently he has died.
I only heard one shot, so I'm not sure about this shoot out talk... but maybe I didnt hear all the shots.

tcofran

Expert Member
I have just come from there. Everyone was trapped for two hours. I always felt safe there. No more.
I heard 3 gunshots.

i tried to get to parking at SARS side, blocked by Police then used other entrance, never knew this had happened....

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Well looks like whenever it's school holidays Malls need to be avoided. Just another fact of life in SA

j4ck455

Executive Member
From how I understand it, your 'moron' had a gun on him, they saw it, took it off him, and killed him.
Apparently he has died.
I only heard one shot, so I'm not sure about this shoot out talk... but maybe I didnt hear all the shots.

I qualified my post with "If that is accurate", I'm sure there is a lot more to the story as you suggest.

However I still question why the civilian was carrying a firearm in a shopping mall: do people take firearms into public places thinking they can go full Rambo at a moment's notice without any regard for the safety of bystanders that will undoubtedly be caught in the crossfire?

As for the only "one shot", there was mention of three shots having been heard.

The end result is that there is now one more firearm in the hands of criminals, and if the civilian had not been carrying a firearm, the robbers probably would have left without firing any shots.

If the civilian has since died as you suggest, my sympathy is with his family and friends.