Should I buy a 2011 E350 cabriolet

tokoloshi

Hi guys. There is a good deal going for a Merc that has been my dream car forever - a 2011 E350 Cabriolet.

I currently have an old Corolla and it doesn't cost much to maintain.

What are the things I should worry about when buying this E350? Could my dream car quick become a nightmare? Who would service it in Cape Town?

Colin62

Executive Member
Depending on how much mileage you do, just the fuel and tyres could be crippling on that Merc. The wider low profile tyres are usually a softer compound and you’re unlikely to get the same mileage off them, and they’ll cost considerably more each as well.

You’d probably be able to find a decent independent workshop who’ll work on it, although the ones who’re really good don’t charge much less than the dealerships.

The unknowns that I would be doing research on that car would be how reliable is the roof mechanism and how hard to fix it it does go wrong, if the body is prone to sagging at all, what sort of suspension it’s got (the fancy hydraulic ones cost a bomb to fix).

thechamp

Honorary Master
YOLO, just buy the car of your dreams and live with the consequeces.

If something goes just take it like a man. A friend bought her wife the B class auto, as bad luck would have it months later a message about a transmission sensor on the dash, MB wanted R26k for the part, they don't sell sensor but the whole board, it still had to be fitted and progammed.

Moral of the story, things go wrong in cars, expensive cars, expensive fixes, simple as that.

Last edited:

op365

I agree with YOLO.
Check that the roof mechanism works fine and the windows (especially the rear one) seal properly.

epah

Expert Member
Don’t buy it. Rather get a newer corolla and be happy.

Mosgi

Would you be keeping the Corrola or dumping it.

The 350 engines are known for the solidness ( along with thirst ), the cars are bargains since they fall quite hard, as people shy away due to service and maintenance costs.

Include in your budget an annual buffet for maintenance and you should be fine, until something random breaks. Costs are usually not for things known to be pricey but become pricey because well, Merc.

epah

Expert Member
He already has a Corolla that makes him happy, I did not see a complaint about his Corolla. He wants more.
He has an old corolla, now it’s time to get a new one. Getting a 2011 Mercedes cabriolet would be a big mistake.

Colin62

Executive Member
He already has a Corolla that makes him happy, I did not see a complaint about his Corolla. He wants more.
Where did he say it makes him happy? If it made him happy he’d not be looking at a two ton climate change maintenance nightmare for kicks. And really, when you walk into a bar and drop your corolla keys on the bar counter while you order your pink gin, you’re not exactly fighting the babes off with a stick.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Where did he say it makes him happy? If it made him happy he’d not be looking at a two ton climate change maintenance nightmare for kicks. And really, when you walk into a bar and drop your corolla keys on the bar counter while you order your pink gin, you’re not exactly fighting the babes off with a stick.
Okay then he should get some better keys to drop on the bar counter, Merc E350 cabriolet's keys.