Should I get a wall cabinet?

SAguy

Expert Member
I've got a bunch of things on my desk (routers, mini pc, raspberry pi, switch etc) that I'd like to get off it. None of it is rack mountable.
I was thinking though that the neatest would be to maybe get a 6u cabinet and put it up on the wall with a shelf or two. Then at least 90% of the cabling is inside the cabinet as well.

I'm wondering if the fan noise from the cabinet is going to make things unbearable as it's my study/home office as well. Or are there quieter fans I could use?

R4ziel

Expert Member
You could swap the fan out for a standard PC case fan, which is ALOT quiter than a standard wall box fan, so I would do that. We had one in an office with routers and switches, all closed up it was barely noticable once we swapped the fan. that one used a 120mm fan

SAguy

Expert Member
Anyone know if these two rectangular panels come out to allow wiring in? Or how do I then get wiring into the cabinet?
1561466518075.png

R4ziel

Expert Member
Anyone know if these two rectangular panels come out to allow wiring in? Or how do I then get wiring into the cabinet?
They punch out like those model air planes most of the time. If not then they have screws on the inside to take them out, but yes, they come out

R4ziel

Expert Member
Ah ok, cool.
Wonder if they make an accessory that goes into that gap - like a brush panel of sorts.
You do get one, we had to get one for a pedantic client a while ago, but it was half the price of the cabinet and he had to wait 3 weeks, by that time everything was installed and he had a very awkward and expensive brush panel story to tell. So yes you do get them, but not locally unless that has changed, and they are crap expensive

SAguy

Expert Member
You do get one, we had to get one for a pedantic client a while ago, but it was half the price of the cabinet and he had to wait 3 weeks, by that time everything was installed and he had a very awkward and expensive brush panel story to tell. So yes you do get them, but not locally unless that has changed, and they are crap expensive
What a pity - seems like a simple thing for them to make. Will help keep dust out too.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That's exactly what they are there for.

Usually same at the bottom.

R4ziel

Expert Member
What a pity - seems like a simple thing for them to make. Will help keep dust out too.
Im sure if you know someone that can cut sheet metal and you buy a broom you should be able to make one yourself, it does seem like something quite simple

SAguy

Expert Member
And I'm guessing I can use most 120mm pc fans in this cabinet instead? See there are some corsair fans that are much quieter. Would just need to see how to power them.