ShowMax is streaming in Full HD on the DStv Explora

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
While this is good, I feel 5.1 Audio is more important for a home theatre.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I bit convenient I'd say since DSTV owns Showmax.
Should've started with other devices to show credibility.

TwilightWalker

I bit convenient I'd say since DSTV owns Showmax.
Should've started with other devices to show credibility.
Nothing wrong with getting it working on "your own hardware" first, less obstacles and red tape.

And hopefully this can be a step in the right direction with Showmax replacing DSTV, combining it with a sports streaming service down the raod at a R300 price point and it would be close to perfect.

Okay, I'm done with my fantasy world of an affordable, quality, content rich streaming service, back to the real world.

Insint

Expert Member
Create a Windows 10 App please. The browser experience is not what is should be.

Thor

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with getting it working on "your own hardware" first, less obstacles and red tape.

And hopefully this can be a step in the right direction with Showmax replacing DSTV, combining it with a sports streaming service down the raod at a R300 price point and it would be close to perfect.

Okay, I'm done with my fantasy world of an affordable, quality, content rich streaming service, back to the real world.
Have some reps

Vegeta

Executive Member
Huh? So you stream using the decoder? I didn't know this, do you have to use adsl data for this or does it go through the dish?

McT

The Humble Scot!
Streaming HD content on a DSTV Explora is a little pointless if you are wanting to watch it later. It would be particularly painful if it is the new Explora, whose HDD can hold less content than first generation (?) Explora.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Huh? So you stream using the decoder? I didn't know this, do you have to use adsl data for this or does it go through the dish?
To access ShowMax on an Explora, the decoder needs to be connected to the Internet.
DSL or Fibre only.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Streaming HD content on a DSTV Explora is a little pointless if you are wanting to watch it later. It would be particularly painful if it is the new Explora, whose HDD can hold less content than first generation (?) Explora.
I don't follow.

You're streaming it not saving it on the HDD to watch later.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
While this is good, I feel 5.1 Audio is more important for a home theatre.
That and subtitles!

It's also a bit dof to have this on the DSTV based devices when I'm sure most Showmax customers are using everything else.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I completely forgot I had a Showmax voucher until just now and it expired the 31st of January, I'm really curious to see their version of 1080P.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
I bet the file sizes will be huuuuuuuge (if you chose to download 1st and not stream). DSTV's 1080i movie file sizes are much bigger than their pirate counterparts...