SIII rooting - does it void warranty

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Hi guys

I need to know... If you were to root a Samsung Galaxy SIII... Would it void the warranty in any way ? It happens to be Vodacom... and no... its not mine. :crying:

werny

Expert Member
I asked someone if I can do it with my HTC desire S and they said I will void my warranty.

So it will be the same in your case, first ask Vodacom.

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Yes it does void the warranty, but its not an issue because you can always unroot if you need to take the phone back to the provider :)

Friggs

I rooted my SII, the custom binary counter was at 7 when it developed a charging/battery issue. I took it to MTN's HVRC in Midrand, booked it in and they called me 3hrs later to collect. Updated/wiped and reloaded the OS and replaced the microusb port on the bottom of the phone. Never said anything about the fact that I rooted it or loaded custom ROMs.

Cant say if VC is the same or not but thought I'd share.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Hi guys

I need to know... If you were to root a Samsung Galaxy SIII... Would it void the warranty in any way ? It happens to be Vodacom... and no... its not mine. :crying:

Yes.

Rooting any phone voids the warranty. However, since rooting just means you get superuser access, it's a software process so you can always just unroot if you need to take it in for warranty purposes. As has been said.

Dylan_G

Expert Member
I asked someone if I can do it with my HTC desire S and they said I will void my warranty.

So it will be the same in your case, first ask Vodacom.

I actually have a Desire S... :whistling: Its rooted and I've played around with some ROMs. The SIII is my friend's(who now joined myBB)

RECer

Thank you everyone for your comments in to the matter.The sIII my friend is talking about is mine and I didn't wish to damage or put it into any unnecessary risk.Thus the thread created by one of my friends.Please continue to leave your views and facts regarding the matter it will be much appreciated.

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Thank you everyone for your comments in to the matter.The sIII my friend is talking about is mine and I didn't wish to damage or put it into any unnecessary risk.Thus the thread created by one of my friends.Please continue to leave your views and facts regarding the matter it will be much appreciated.

*Facepalm*

Necropolis

Executive Member
Yes you will void your warranty.

The positive outweigh the negatives - just do it.

CoolBug

Expert Member
Funny, I rooted the kuk out my old HTC Desire.

Something then went wrong not sure what but I think it was hardware related.

Took it to lab88 and they replaced my mainboard for free in just a few days.

Now if only I can find a shop like lab88 to take my Motorola RAZR...

Any suggestions?

Basically the screen cracked and I don't know how.

I did some research and it appears that a few people are having the same problem, they leave it to charge and they come back with a cracked screen.

Sometimes batteries swell and the RAZR is extremely compact so if the battery swells the screen could crack. The back of my phone has a lil bump where the battery is.

Vodacom says haha phuck you go home. (The manufacturer warranty doesn't cover ANY physical damage)

There is also no damage to the phone that could justify a crack from from one side to the other