Slow Rain Speed

chakniks

I don’t think there is anything can be done ,today got XPol-6 and was getting good results Until 6pm came then got the worse results ever , I’m holding my tears rite now feel wasted my money .
Rain has congested Towers , lots of subscribers then on top of that they dump Vodacom ppl to their spectrum to make things worse.
B38/41 is not available in most towers, best solution is to dump them.
These two marked towers have B38 and B41.
Try to align your XPol antenna towards them and force band 38/41.
41 gives slightly better speeds for some reason.
Its unfortunate that its not showing your connected tower, It would have made alignment to the cell tower much easier
1593594787440.png

Kiemo

Its unfortunate that its not showing your connected tower, It would have made alignment to the cell tower much easier
View attachment 868133
Any news

ahf

On their website, check out the optimize option which will pinpoint the tower you are currently connecting to and with that information you can maybe get an antenna
Romito...where do I get that optimize option on their website?
Thanks.

jbroo

Welcome to rain. Crap when you need it. Great at 5am. This is just how it is.Screenshot_20200701_221927_org.speedspot.speedanalytics.jpg

Chuma1031

View attachment 868133
I did force it then pointed to that direction of these towers I got 2 network bars but I was getting horrible speeds of DL 1/2Mbps which doesn’t make any sense coz I believe XPol-6 can connect up to ~7km away but still was getting those speeds

I went back to 1800MHz then my speeds were fluctuating between 1-17Mbps every second I don’t knw why , maybe it’s the weather ‍♂.

signal strength table

RSRP -71 dBm
RSRQ -9 dB
SINR 8 dB
RSSI -51 dBm

any advice ?

chakniks

I did force it then pointed to that direction of these towers I got 2 network bars but I was getting horrible speeds of DL 1/2Mbps which doesn’t make any sense coz I believe XPol-6 can connect up to ~7km away but still was getting those speeds

I went back to 1800MHz then my speeds were fluctuating between 1-17Mbps every second I don’t knw why , maybe it’s the weather ‍♂.

signal strength table

RSRP -71 dBm
RSRQ -9 dB
SINR 8 dB
RSSI -51 dBm

any advice ?
Are you able to see the tower you are connected to from the optimizer now?
That should be the starting point. Just pointing in the direction of the towers is not enough in my humble option.
We need to be certain that you are connecting to those towers I had highlight.
The cell id for the Stockroad tower is 53086498.
If you still can not utilize the optimizer, please check the cell id you are connected to as you move your external antenna.

With regards to 1800, the fluctuating speeds might be because of constant cell tower hoping.
I imagine that with the extended range of the external antenna you will be able to pick up more tower and the chance of tower hoping might also increase. But this is just speculation, maybe its worth it to ask Rain to investigate.
You may check the cell id that you are connecting to and verify that the number is not constantly changing over a short period of time. A changing cell id will indicate a new connection with different speeds.
1593693011650.png

Chuma1031

Are you able to see the tower you are connected to from the optimizer now?
That should be the starting point. Just pointing in the direction of the towers is not enough in my humble option.
We need to be certain that you are connecting to those towers I had highlight.
The cell id for the Stockroad tower is 53086498.
If you still can not utilize the optimizer, please check the cell id you are connected to as you move your external antenna.

With regards to 1800, the fluctuating speeds might be because of constant cell tower hoping.
I imagine that with the extended range of the external antenna you will be able to pick up more tower and the chance of tower hoping might also increase. But this is just speculation, maybe its worth it to ask Rain to investigate.
You may check the cell id that you are connecting to and verify that the number is not constantly changing over a short period of time. A changing cell id will indicate a new connection with different speeds.
View attachment 868813
when I pointed the antenna that direction I managed to connect to the same tower you are connected to and thats wen i was getting bad speeds on both frequency bands B3 & B41, even on the optimiser it showed that i was connected to the cell Tower .I went back to the direction I was pointing at initially as showed on the attached pic.

I think I'm jumping between those two Tower hence its not showing which one I'm connected to, which explains the fluctuating of speed and I'm waiting on Rain's response.Capture.PNG

chakniks

when I pointed the antenna that direction I managed to connect to the same tower you are connected to and thats wen i was getting bad speeds on both frequency bands B3 & B41, even on the optimiser it showed that i was connected to the cell Tower .I went back to the direction I was pointing at initially as showed on the attached pic.

I think I'm jumping between those two Tower hence its not showing which one I'm connected to, which explains the fluctuating of speed and I'm waiting on Rain's response.
It's really unfortunate that it did not work out well when you connected to that tower.
For the most part my connection speed with that tower is always very decent.

Lets just cross fingers that something good will happen on your end as well.

1593699687410.png

Chuma1031

It's really unfortunate that it did not work out well when you connected to that tower.

View attachment 868873
Impressive ,maybe it’s all the tall trees that’s causing signal interruption , but thanx will try and get a longer pole in future .

OfentseIOP

I don’t think there is anything can be done ,today got XPol-6 and was getting good results Until 6pm came then got the worse results ever , I’m holding my tears rite now feel wasted my money .
Rain has congested Towers , lots of subscribers then on top of that they dump Vodacom ppl to their spectrum to make things worse.
B38/41 is not available in most towers, best solution is to dump them.
what kinda speeds were you getting since you got your external antenna??? Like from which numbers to which ones now? And do you regret buying it??? I’m looking to get one to boost my R250 Rain deal which speeds can go super high as 50Mbps(at least before lockdown) unlike the R489 throttled speeds deal.

OfentseIOP

View attachment 868873
Are you using an external antenna??? OMG your numbers look amazing for Rain, it must be the R250 deal since numbers are high. Which antenna are you using??? I swear you don’t know what buffeting is with those speeds. I want to relocate to your place. Which antenna are you using? I need to get one soon. And you come from which numbers??? From the usual under 1Mbps to 50Mbps???

ronald911

Expert Member
Hi.I'm new to the Rain LTE. I just got it a few days ago. But my internet speed is terrible when I do a Speed test. It gives me 0.5mbps and I'm using a Huawei B315s-936 Router. I went on Rain's website and logged a query but the do not respond to any of my emails. I only got a notification about payment (like really?? I know I have a debit order going off, but please respond to my mail) I have moved the router around in my house, but absolutely no results. Worst part, I actually get full 4G signal, but my speed is still slow. Please!!! Can anyone assist??
Welcome to Rain

chakniks

Are you using an external antenna??? OMG your numbers look amazing for Rain, it must be the R250 deal since numbers are high. Which antenna are you using??? I swear you don’t know what buffeting is with those speeds. I want to relocate to your place. Which antenna are you using? I need to get one soon. And you come from which numbers??? From the usual under 1Mbps to 50Mbps???
The numbers are good indeed.
I am not using an external antenna.
I have went to the tower locations and tested, max speed was 81mbps if I remember correctly.
Hence I do not foresee using an external antenna as it would just add about 20mbps to my current speed in the best case scenario.

In my humble opinion if possible you should go to your tower and check the max speeds you can get.
If the numbers are not much bigger than your current speeds then I would think an external antenna would not be needed.

The numbers are just from mostly 4x4 MIMO on band 41.
I have tested on a few devices and been very fortunate in terms of speeds.
The numbers and details are as follows:
Xiaomi Mi 8 30mbps-45mbps B41 4x4 MIMO, no CA
Samsung Galaxy S7 22-30mbps no 4X4 MIMO, CA B3+B38 assumed
TP-link MR6400 15-32mbps no 4x4 MIMO, no CA and band selection varies
TP-link MR600 25-40mbps no 4x4 MIMO, CA B3+B38
(Current device) Huawei B818 31-60mbps 4x4 MIMO B41/B38, no CA

Honestly with the B818, the speeds are very good. It only ever goes to the 30s range when other devices are connected as well.