Slow Rain Speed

OfentseIOP

The numbers are good indeed.
I am not using an external antenna.
I have went to the tower locations and tested, max speed was 81mbps if I remember correctly.
Hence I do not foresee using an external antenna as it would just add about 20mbps to my current speed in the best case scenario.

In my humble opinion if possible you should go to your tower and check the max speeds you can get.
If the numbers are not much bigger than your current speeds then I would think an external antenna would not be needed.

The numbers are just from mostly 4x4 MIMO on band 41.
I have tested on a few devices and been very fortunate in terms of speeds.
The numbers and details are as follows:
Xiaomi Mi 8 30mbps-45mbps B41 4x4 MIMO, no CA
Samsung Galaxy S7 22-30mbps no 4X4 MIMO, CA B3+B38 assumed
TP-link MR6400 15-32mbps no 4x4 MIMO, no CA and band selection varies
TP-link MR600 25-40mbps no 4x4 MIMO, CA B3+B38
(Current device) Huawei B818 31-60mbps 4x4 MIMO B41/B38, no CA

Honestly with the B818, the speeds are very good. It only ever goes to the 30s range when other devices are connected as well.
Ohhh wow so you already have the latest B818 and MR600, I’m on the old one I have B618 and Archer MR400 AC1350 Wireless Dual-Band 4G LTE but I used to get 28Mbps on both of them, right now under 3.5Mbps. MR400 being CAT4 no longer picks up signal, but currently I get a signal from far away tower(2.4Km) though I have some nearby, so I think MR400 used to pick up from the nearby towers but now fails to. I even had to cancel my Simcard last month so I’m off this month but yesterday I ordered a new one because I really miss unlimited connection. I just wanted a booster to get at least 12Mbps, I’m certain one tower can give me that consistently. I cry for your speeds I don’t wanna lie, but if I may ask you said those are speeds from when you went to the location of the towers, in your home how are the speeds looking?

Chuma1031

The numbers are good indeed.
I am not using an external antenna.
I have went to the tower locations and tested, max speed was 81mbps if I remember correctly.
Hence I do not foresee using an external antenna as it would just add about 20mbps to my current speed in the best case scenario.

In my humble opinion if possible you should go to your tower and check the max speeds you can get.
If the numbers are not much bigger than your current speeds then I would think an external antenna would not be needed.

The numbers are just from mostly 4x4 MIMO on band 41.
I have tested on a few devices and been very fortunate in terms of speeds.
The numbers and details are as follows:
Xiaomi Mi 8 30mbps-45mbps B41 4x4 MIMO, no CA
Samsung Galaxy S7 22-30mbps no 4X4 MIMO, CA B3+B38 assumed
TP-link MR6400 15-32mbps no 4x4 MIMO, no CA and band selection varies
TP-link MR600 25-40mbps no 4x4 MIMO, CA B3+B38
(Current device) Huawei B818 31-60mbps 4x4 MIMO B41/B38, no CA

Honestly with the B818, the speeds are very good. It only ever goes to the 30s range when other devices are connected as well.
have u ever tried testing B3 speeds on that Tower you connected to coz im thinking of getting a longer pole then point in that direction . Then i know im done changing directions i will switch between the bands B3/B41 depending on the speeds they giving me , coz i believe B3 in any Tower comes 6pm becomes congested since everyone is back from work.

chakniks

Ohhh wow so you already have the latest B818 and MR600, I’m on the old one I have B618 and Archer MR400 AC1350 Wireless Dual-Band 4G LTE but I used to get 28Mbps on both of them, right now under 3.5Mbps. MR400 being CAT4 no longer picks up signal, but currently I get a signal from far away tower(2.4Km) though I have some nearby, so I think MR400 used to pick up from the nearby towers but now fails to. I even had to cancel my Simcard last month so I’m off this month but yesterday I ordered a new one because I really miss unlimited connection. I just wanted a booster to get at least 12Mbps, I’m certain one tower can give me that consistently. I cry for your speeds I don’t wanna lie, but if I may ask you said those are speeds from when you went to the location of the towers, in your home how are the speeds looking?
If the tower is far away, then getting an antenna might actually be a good idea in your case.
No, all those speeds in the last paragraph are from home. Only the 81mbps was when I went to the tower.
I attached a current speed test from inside my house.

I hope a day will soon come when every one can get +50mbps.
Lets cross our fingers that ICASA and the ISPs will behave well with the auctioning and assignment of spectrum
1593773499782.png

chakniks

have u ever tried testing B3 speeds on that Tower you connected to coz im thinking of getting a longer pole then point in that direction . Then i know im done changing directions i will switch between the bands B3/B41 depending on the speeds they giving me , coz i believe B3 in any Tower comes 6pm becomes congested since everyone is back from work.
I am afraid B3 is not any good.
1593774094657.png

jbroo

It's not you, it's rain. Do a test at 5am and see.

Chuma1031

what kinda speeds were you getting since you got your external antenna??? Like from which numbers to which ones now? And do you regret buying it??? I’m looking to get one to boost my R250 Rain deal which speeds can go super high as 50Mbps(at least before lockdown) unlike the R489 throttled speeds deal.
what kinda speeds were you getting since you got your external antenna??? Like from which numbers to which ones now? And do you regret buying it??? I’m looking to get one to boost my R250 Rain deal which speeds can go super high as 50Mbps(at least before lockdown) unlike the R489 throttled speeds deal.
no I don’t regret at all coz before XPol-6 I was getting 0.5Mbps and be lucky if I get 2Mbps.

but now only problem starts at 6pm they start throttling speed but check the results below and take note of the Time (on R479 package)681799D9-8845-42B8-A7D1-56BB0A1131F9.png

chakniks

no I don’t regret at all coz before XPol-6 I was getting 0.5Mbps and be lucky if I get 2Mbps.

but now only problem starts at 6pm they start throttling speed but check the results below and take note of the Time (on R479 package)View attachment 869335
This is very strange. I would have thought after 6pm would give better speeds as R250 people get disconnected

Chuma1031

This is very strange. I would have thought after 6pm would give better speeds as R250 people get disconnected
also thought that too but if its true that Rain dumps vodacom subscribers on their network then it makes a lot of sense, coz there very few ppl that know or use Rain where I stay so how are they getting congestion with few subscribers.

jbroo

There is very little drop in the network load between 6 and 11, trust me. Either most people have gone to full packages or the 250 rand bunch is staying online anyway.

OfentseIOP

If the tower is far away, then getting an antenna might actually be a good idea in your case.
No, all those speeds in the last paragraph are from home. Only the 81mbps was when I went to the tower.
I attached a current speed test from inside my house.

I hope a day will soon come when every one can get +50mbps.
Lets cross our fingers that ICASA and the ISPs will behave well with the auctioning and assignment of spectrum
View attachment 869313
big ups man, home speeds like these are what SA needs. I’m planning on getting a 5G router but maybe this time next year just so I can get your speeds. I saw B818 is priced not far from 5G ones so just to be on the future side I’ve been browsing since my last message to you... I see prices are falling so if only I can just get 12Mbps for now I’ll be able to survive for a year or even two until my 5G router. But I agree ICASA needs to sort the spectrum part out, we want to experience your speeds and even better ones. As for my 5G router I’m looking at this one from Oppo, the Oppo 5G CPE Omni, unfortunately not yet priced but specs are insane, hopefully it will be under HUAWEI and ZTE ones. https://www.router-switch.com/oppo-5g-cpe-omni.html

if I may ask one last thing, how far are you from your tower? The one that feeds you?

Attachments

Last edited:

OfentseIOP

but now only problem starts at 6pm they start throttling speed but check the results below and take note of the Time (on R479 package)View attachment 869335
Ok cool thanks... I’ll get my antenna too then, thanks for your feedback. At least I know they do work. I bet with R250 your speeds would be have too nice but I’d be happy with what your getting anytime, at least it’s better than the everyday under 1Mbps I used to get. I wonder if they’ll sort out your throttled speeds after 18:00, but knowing Rain they won’t. As long as you do enjoy it most of the time.

chakniks

big ups man, home speeds like these are what SA needs. I’m planning on getting a 5G router but maybe this time next year just so I can get your speeds. I saw B818 is priced not far from 5G ones so just to be on the future side I’ve been browsing since my last message to you... I see prices are falling so if only I can just get 12Mbps for now I’ll be able to survive for a year or even two until my 5G router. But I agree ICASA needs to sort the spectrum part out, we want to experience your speeds and even better ones. As for my 5G router I’m looking at this one from Oppo, the Oppo 5G CPE Omni, unfortunately not yet priced but specs are insane, hopefully it will be under HUAWEI and ZTE ones. https://www.router-switch.com/oppo-5g-cpe-omni.html

if I may ask one last thing, how far are you from your tower? The one that feeds you?
I am close to the tower, 0,77km.

That 5g router seems great, should be capable of LTE Cat22 if they don't skimp.
Did you see the CA combinations that are available with this router, I did not see anything with regards to this in the data sheet?

I am also interested in getting a 5G router. I just want to first see how the 5G roll out and expansion will be like from other ISPs. Also if any good month to month offers are going to pop up. So far 5G from MTN and Vodacom doesn't seem to offer good value for money and coverage is very limited too.
I have also hesitated to buy a 5G router because I don't foresee my township getting 5G coverage anytime soon, seems like these ISPs start with areas that already have fibre. I assume this is due to a need for a high-volume fibre backhaul for the 5G base station. It's bit of a catch 22 situation.

OfentseIOP

I am close to the tower, 0,77km.

That 5g router seems great, should be capable of LTE Cat22 if they don't skimp.
Did you see the CA combinations that are available with this router, I did not see anything with regards to this in the data sheet?

I am also interested in getting a 5G router. I just want to first see how the 5G roll out and expansion will be like from other ISPs. Also if any good month to month offers are going to pop up. So far 5G from MTN and Vodacom doesn't seem to offer good value for money and coverage is very limited too.
I have also hesitated to buy a 5G router because I don't foresee my township getting 5G coverage anytime soon, seems like these ISPs start with areas that already have fibre. I assume this is due to a need for a high-volume fibre backhaul for the 5G base station. It's bit of a catch 22 situation.
yes it’s CAT22, it uses X55 chip which comes with CAT22 on board. As for CA combinations I also didn’t see any even on Oppo’s site, maybe more will be said when it goes into production. But comparing with other top brands like HUAWEI this one just stands out for me, maybe because it comes with everything fancy that we currently have plus “future ones” and it’s not a refreshed product. I’ll most definitely get it in a year or two or maybe three.

As for 5G on my side I am hopeful it will come in my township since there’s fibre 2-3min walk away from home, at a complex.... that gives me hope. But for you I don’t think there’s a need for a change to 5G unless if your kind of work changes and requires more speeds.

And maybe your 818 router is able to pick up your nearest tower because both my routers fail. My closest is 0.64Km but I’m using the 2.4Km one and it’s a mess, at 5am it starts with the struggles. So I will try an antenna and hopefully I’ll get something stable... I’ll let you know when I do that.

Blapan

Look at these tests, will be doing MTN, Rain and other 5G tests soon!

Attachments