Slow Speed Rain LTE-A

Hi there

I just got Rain LTE-A today and my download speeds are super slow, anyone knows if that's just because I got it today or something ? (Kinda disappointed with the speed so hoping for the best ) download speed is about 4mbps when running speed test :/

JimboJambo

Hi there

I just got Rain LTE-A today and my download speeds are super slow, anyone knows if that's just because I got it today or something ? (Kinda disappointed with the speed so hoping for the best ) download speed is about 4mbps when running speed test :/
What is your connection quality like? (how many bars out of 5, what is your RSRP value?)

Are you using the LAN port or wifi?

LOTR

Noted some slower than usual speeds last night as well - some buffering noted on YouTube, but did not bother with a speed test.
Was also on wi-fi, but had 4 bar signal (which is standard for me).

Napalm

Expert Member
Nininha. move your LTE modem around. (it has wifi)

Move the modem closer to a window (Signal is better going through windows than Solid rock) - If you can make it not go through even one 5 or 6cm wall. It will increase the speed by 5 maybe 10mbit.

Always try to get higher elevation (tower signal reaches your device from top, less objects to go through at a angle)

Try the other areas of your house (download the speedtest app on your cellphone - connect your cellphone to your LTE wifi). Then run speed tests in different area of your house.

Middle of house or Kitchen.
TV room
Study room
Braai Area - Under roof preferred.
PC room or Bedroom.

Def gonna try that , I sent an email to Rain and the reply was
"This speed test does not reflect good network service. You need to contact your ISP with this information so that they can trouble shoot and assist.

However, before you do call them, we would like to suggest that you re-set your modem by taking out the SIM card and leaving it off for a few minutes and then re connect. Redo your speed tests, this may improve connection. If not, go ahead and escalate with your ISP."

I'm gonna try evrything because unfortunately an antena is not an option here :/

Nininha. move your LTE modem around. (it has wifi)

Move the modem closer to a window (Signal is better going through windows than Solid rock) - If you can make it not go through even one 5 or 6cm wall. It will increase the speed by 5 maybe 10mbit.

Always try to get higher elevation (tower signal reaches your device from top, less objects to go through at a angle)

Try the other areas of your house (download the speedtest app on your cellphone - connect your cellphone to your LTE wifi). Then run speed tests in different area of your house.

Middle of house or Kitchen.
TV room
Study room
Braai Area - Under roof preferred.
PC room or Bedroom.

JimboJambo

getting an antenna regardless of mounting will improve the signal 10 fold, my friend went from 3 to 5 bars with a 9db poynting antenna without even mounting it. and obviously with the improved signal strength, his speeds naturally picked up

Napalm

Expert Member
Ye , positioning is the key. you can bump it up by 5mbit or 10mbit just by finding the sweet spot (5cm to left or right can make a heavy difference)

You can also try turning the modem 10 degree's to the right or left.

If you really can't get it right, ask your ISP for a refund. WebAfrica offered me one in the event that I couldn't get good speeds / signal. Don't know which ISP you're with?

envo

Expert Member
Def gonna try that , I sent an email to Rain and the reply was
"This speed test does not reflect good network service. You need to contact your ISP with this information so that they can trouble shoot and assist.

However, before you do call them, we would like to suggest that you re-set your modem by taking out the SIM card and leaving it off for a few minutes and then re connect. Redo your speed tests, this may improve connection. If not, go ahead and escalate with your ISP."

I'm gonna try evrything because unfortunately an antena is not an option here :/
An antenna doesn't need to be mounted externally. The same way the bunny-ears TV antenna's didn't need to be mounted externally. It boosts signal, not as optimally as an external antenna can, but it should give you better signal, which in turn would translate into better speeds.

It's also spelled "allowed" not "aloud". The one is a sound. The other is a form of permission.

Salt

Expert Member
getting an antenna regardless of mounting will improve the signal 10 fold, my friend went from 3 to 5 bars with a 9db poynting antenna without even mounting it. and obviously with the improved signal strength, his speeds naturally picked up
Do you know what he paid for the antenna? I am thinking of getting this Afrihost LTE-A business cause I am sick of ADSL and gatvol of waiting for FTTH. But I fall in the patchy coverage areas so I am preempting I'll need one.

Capture.PNG

Nameite

Expert Member
Do you know what he paid for the antenna? I am thinking of getting this Afrihost LTE-A business cause I am sick of ADSL and gatvol of waiting for FTTH. But I fall in the patchy coverage areas so I am preempting I'll need one.

View attachment 467529
Haha you're in the same boat as me...I took a leap of faith and had really kuk speeds, with one bar of signal, I had on/off 4mbps connection with packet drops 80/100

So I ordered an antenna from China for R150...and its still on its way after 3 weeks :eek:

But yeah, eventually found a spot where the signal was 3 bars (had to look at the coverage map and guesstimate the tower direction), now I get constant 4mbps, sometimes up to 16mbps...hopefully the antenna (apparently 49dbi but chinese products are always exaggerating) will bring me up to 4-5bars

Best to check if you got any friends with Rain already, and get him to bring the router to your house?

Last edited:

Salt

Expert Member
Haha you're in the same boat as me...I took a leap of faith and had really kuk speeds, with one bar of signal, I had on/off 4mbps connection with packet drops 80/100

So I ordered an antenna from China for R150...and its still on its way after 3 weeks :eek:

But yeah, eventually found a spot where the signal was 3 bars (had to look at the coverage map and guesstimate the tower direction), now I get constant 4mbps, sometimes up to 16mbps...hopefully the antenna (apparently 49dbi but chinese products are always exaggerating) will bring me up to 4-5bars

Best to check if you got any friends with Rain already, and get him to bring the router to your house?
Don't laugh hahaha :) Don't know of anyone with a rain LTE router...but I think that will be best to do!