Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Smartphone trade-ins in South Africa — up to R17,835 discount for old phones

Samsung launched a trade-in promotion with its Galaxy S22 range, offering a flat R10,000 off on its new flagships, but we found you could get greater discounts if you use a third-party service — depending on what you traded in.

The best deals on iPhones and Galaxy S devices were not always offered by their respective manufacturer's stores. Third-party services like WeBuyPhones and Phonetradr offer substantial amounts more than Apple and Samsung for their top of the range devices.

Dan C

Honorary Master
If I had a Samsung or iPhone I would also trade it in... no wait.. probably just drive over it.

• Haha
Reactions: Yuu

Budza

Executive Member
So phones are the new cars? Can I do a balloon payment too?
For the money these things go for, you're better off getting a laptop.

My <R3k Mi Note 8 matches my mates iPhone (new model, not sure which) in some basic tests:

Unlock, open WhatsApp & send a message.
Unlock, take photo & forward via xyz.
etc..

What are people doing on their phones that they need such specs/performance?

Wouldn't they be better served doing the same on a laptop?

You can't even argue for conspicuous consumption: these things all look the same now...

• Haha
Reactions: Oil

hj007

Expert Member

My <R3k Mi Note 8 matches my mates iPhone (new model, not sure which) in some basic tests:

etc..

You can't even argue for conspicuous consumption: these things all look the same now...

Utility over branding. The same plays out across vehicles, phones, electronics.

Engineers have shaken their heads at marketers for eons :p and vice versa.

RaptorSA

Executive Member

Agreed, overkill is a thing on the processors in these things.
As an example, my Oculus Quest 1 standalone VR headset uses the Snapdragon 835, the same processor as in my old 2018 OnePlus 5T phone.

Now granted, the old phone does feel slow these days but I suspect that has more to do with memory upgrades , storage speed improvements and 120Hz displays.

Budza

Executive Member
Utility over branding. The same plays out across vehicles, phones, electronics.

Engineers have shaken their heads at marketers for eons :p and vice versa.

Yup- form follows function for me...

I'm not complaining really- someone needs to drive the development of this stuff. I end up benefitting in the end.

Same with my bicycles.

G.A.S

I'd love to see the original cost of the phones required for the advertised "discount"/"repurchase value" in the same table.

Dan C

Honorary Master

etc..

j4ck455

Executive Member
Smartphone trade-ins in South Africa — up to R17,835 discount for old phones

Samsung launched a trade-in promotion with its Galaxy S22 range, offering a flat R10,000 off on its new flagships, but we found you could get greater discounts if you use a third-party service — depending on what you traded in.

The best deals on iPhones and Galaxy S devices were not always offered by their respective manufacturer's stores. Third-party services like WeBuyPhones and Phonetradr offer substantial amounts more than Apple and Samsung for their top of the range devices.

Notably, Samsung and Cellucity offer the best trade-in deals when buying an S22 — and by some margin — on Huawei devices at R10,000 for the P30, P40, and P40 Pro.
I don't know about Cellucity (because they want all my personal info before telling me their trade-in offer) but Samsung is only prepared to offer R3888 for the P40 Pro+:

1648307045620.png

Yet Samsung offers R10000 for the P40 Pro.

Seems like a mistake on Samsung site but I don't think it would be worth it.