johncgalloway

Lol, ok, so I bought a Philips Blender yesterday on Takealot. Quite a nifty little machine, with a two year worldwide guarantee. http://www.takealot.com/philips-daily-collection-blender-white/PLID27952925

Still trying to figure out if it can do ice.

Anyhoo, last night I did a quick smoothie, consisting of two bananas, a dollop of peanut butter and a squirt or two of milk.

What an interesting combo. Quite thick and nice. Only thing is, afterwards I picked up the Bananas were still a little bit green around the tips, and the combo had a kind of banana-ish chemical after taste. Dunno if you guys get what I mean.
Anyway, I thought perhaps adding a squirt of honey or a bit of sugar might take the edge off.

What do you guys think?

Any other recipes and suggestions?

Batista

Executive Member
You should have added a dollop of peanut butter and use ripe bananas not greenish ones.

My favorite is 2 apples and a chunk of ginger Mmmmmm.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Yeah the best smoothies come from just about to turn overripe fruit, in my experience. It's a great way of disposing of fruit that's sat outa bit too long. You shouldn't really eat unripe bananas in any case.

Vanhimself

My morning smoothie is dependant on which fruit are in season but for the past month or so I have been using:
-handful of muesli
-two big table spoons of yoghurt (mixed fruit or vanilla)
-Breakfast seed mix (pumpkin seeds, etc)
-Apple
-Pear
-Grapes
-Orange
-a bit of fruit juice

I like adding Melon every now and again. I am not fond of banana as the flavour can be overpowering.
I add some honey and pronutro at times to add some extra nutritional value.

saor

Honorary Master
Another tip re. the bananas is to freeze them for a more milkshake-like consistency. It's nearly indistinguishable from using icecream :). Try a bit of vanilla powder perhaps. I've never really noticed an unpleasant taste from the bananas, but I have found that they don't pair so well with certain things. Banana & cinnamon in the same smoothie makes a weird taste.

Try frozen bananas + milk + mango, maybe a bit of vanilla powder. Real nice combo.

Why? It's a great source of resistant starch for your gut microflora.
Yep. I make a point of buying green and eating a few a week too. Or just a piece into a smoothie.

Last edited:
P

Picard

To me there is a difference between a milkshake and a smoothie.

Smoothies consist of (mainly) juices, yoghurt and solid fruits and other ingredients like nuts and ... peanut butter.

Milkshakes consist of milk/cream/ice-cream and whatever flavourings you want, whatever it may be.

Yoghurt is the only dairy that is added to a smoothie.

If you add milk it becomes a milkshake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roxi_B4b3

My favourite smoothie is strawberries, banana, greek yoghurt and honey. But strawberries are out of season now (i.o.w ridiculously expensive) A lot of nice suggestions here - will definitely try some

P

Picard

Two babies are sitting next to the tennis court, in their prams, watching their mothers play.

The one baby says; "It seems like we'll be having milkshake tonight".

Last edited by a moderator: