So I went to Capitec

I'm considering the Capitec credit card. On their estimate/offer I saw a reference of credit insurance at R3 per R1000 owed. Is that compulsory or can you opt out?

It would be a deal breaker for me considering what I intend using the card for.
 
I'm considering the Capitec credit card. On their estimate/offer I saw a reference of credit insurance at R3 per R1000 owed. Is that compulsory or can you opt out?

It would be a deal breaker for me considering what I intend using the card for.

I don't have the insurance on my Capitec credit card.
 
Applied for the CCard. Documents sent.

Does their credit card play nice with Google Wallet?
 
They do authorise it through the app, with the QR code login compulsory....
Got a hardware token, the current app crashes on startup, but at least I can get into internet banking now... (If Bank Zero's app ran on my phone, I might have switched...)

(Tyme might be an option, but their app refuses to run on rooted phones...)
 
Credit card process becoming painful!

Applied on Friday. Emailed me requesting a payslip. Sent

Emailed requesting 3 months bank statements showing salary. Sent June, July August from FNB.

Sent me 4 emails over the weekend saying still waiting for my bank statements. Tsek.

I was phoned today to ask why I haven't sent them. I said I did. I was then told lots of clients having that issue. I sent them again. They said they will check. End of call.

Had another call from someone else. After 20min verifying my info and answering questions, she tells me they need a newer bank statement because the August one did not show August salary. I said my next statement will only be available on the 13th of September as FNB does it every month on the 13th. Call ended with her telling me to email it through then.

Now I have another email requesting employment confirmation from HR.

What a clown show. My Woolworths credit card was honestly click click, done and dusted.

About to just walk away from the process.....
 
Credit card process becoming painful!

Applied on Friday. Emailed me requesting a payslip. Sent

Emailed requesting 3 months bank statements showing salary. Sent June, July August from FNB.

Sent me 4 emails over the weekend saying still waiting for my bank statements. Tsek.

I was phoned today to ask why I haven't sent them. I said I did. I was then told lots of clients having that issue. I sent them again. They said they will check. End of call.

Had another call from someone else. After 20min verifying my info and answering questions, she tells me they need a newer bank statement because the August one did not show August salary. I said my next statement will only be available on the 13th of September as FNB does it every month on the 13th. Call ended with her telling me to email it through then.

Now I have another email requesting employment confirmation from HR.

What a clown show. My Woolworths credit card was honestly click click, done and dusted.

About to just walk away from the process.....
I just went into a branch to apply for my credit card. Was not sure if I could do it on the app at that time, but anyway, went into a branch. Took my ID, 3 month bank statement (even though I bank with Capitec and they could just pull it on their system directly), latest payslip and letter from my work confirming I am employed full time. 30 minutes and I had my card. I know it is a schlep, but perhaps just go into a branch? Also, why dont you just pull your bank statement yourself on your FNB app?
 
Oke's here struggling to get credit cards....

Here I am trying to get rid of mine.
Same here. I am slowly but surely getting to pay mine off. A credit card can be a blessing and a curse. Blessing for when life throws you those damn lemons. Curse to pay it off. I always pay more than my minimum due. Whatever I have to spare goes into the credit card. In a few months I should be back to R0.00 balance the gods willing. :D
 
Same here. I am slowly but surely getting to pay mine off. A credit card can be a blessing and a curse. Blessing for when life throws you those damn lemons. Curse to pay it off. I always pay more than my minimum due. Whatever I have to spare goes into the credit card. In a few months I should be back to R0.00 balance the gods willing. :D
Same here.

I paid off and reduced mine by 51% from Nov last year till now.

Hoping to be R0.00 by June 2025.
 
Last weekend I took the wife to Capitec in WillowBridge to get a CC. We going on holiday overseas and we needed a second CC just in case.

The whole process took ~30 minutes and we walked out with a CC ready to be used. Being a ABSA client I was very impressed by Capitec.
 
I just went into a branch to apply for my credit card. Was not sure if I could do it on the app at that time, but anyway, went into a branch. Took my ID, 3 month bank statement (even though I bank with Capitec and they could just pull it on their system directly), latest payslip and letter from my work confirming I am employed full time. 30 minutes and I had my card. I know it is a schlep, but perhaps just go into a branch? Also, why dont you just pull your bank statement yourself on your FNB app?
They initially wouldn't accept a PDF transaction history from FNB but now it looks like they have. Process is moving again.

Thanks for the in branch tip. I'll consider it but I'm not really keen to put any effort into getting this credit card as I don't need the actual credit as I only ever spend what can be covered by actual Rands in the bank.
 
Oke's here struggling to get credit cards....

Here I am trying to get rid of mine.
credit cards are useful for one thing only: managing your cashflow, NOT as a form of credit
never ever leave the outstanding balance long enough to pay interest

if one can stick with those rules then have a credit card, if not, better be without one

I always played by those rules, but Virgin Money vanished and with it the only credit card in South Africa that did not have monthly admin fees ... so I've been without a credit card ever since and get by just fine
 
credit cards are useful for one thing only: managing your cashflow, NOT as a form of credit
never ever leave the outstanding balance long enough to pay interest

if one can stick with those rules then have a credit card, if not, better be without one

I always played by those rules, but Virgin Money vanished and with it the only credit card in South Africa that did not have monthly admin fees ... so I've been without a credit card ever since and get by just fine
Virgin Money was great (internet banking was terrible though lol). That is how I ended up with my Capitec credit card. Virgin was closing down so I applied with Capitec for theirs seeing that they were already my main bank. I did not want to be taken over by Absa.
 
Virgin Money was great (internet banking was terrible though lol). That is how I ended up with my Capitec credit card. Virgin was closing down so I applied with Capitec for theirs seeing that they were already my main bank. I did not want to be taken over by Absa.
Capitec is my main bank as well, but the R40/month or whatever it is irritated me after not having any such fee with Virgin Money and even compared to Capitec's own savings account of ~R7/month it seems high for what you get

from what I researched one's best bet is something like Woolworths' credit card IF you shop there often ... the benefits should be more than the fees, but I couldn't be bothered, really miss the no frills no fee setup that was Virgin Money
 
Capitec is my main bank as well, but the R40/month or whatever it is irritated me after not having any such fee with Virgin Money and even compared to Capitec's own savings account of ~R7/month it seems high for what you get

from what I researched one's best bet is something like Woolworths' credit card IF you shop there often ... the benefits should be more than the fees, but I couldn't be bothered, really miss the no frills no fee setup that was Virgin Money
The live better benefits essentially make the Capitec CC free. Just need to spend R3500 odd.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X