So I'm resigning today!

marco79

Expert Member
I've only been permanent with this company 3 months today. I've been on contract with them for 24 months before I became permanent.

I am here in Port Elizabeth and I need to get back to Cape Town as soon as possible. I've been away from friends and family for more than 2 years already. Before my 3 months here in PE I was in Port Edward for 2 years.

My previous company (of 2.5 years back) wants me back and made me a reasonable offer back in Cape Town.

I just don't know how to tell my current manager that I'm leaving. He is out of the office today so I'll have to call him to come around by the office when he gets back into PE, or do I go to his house later this evening.

I need to hand in my resignation today because it is effectively the end of my probation period today. Otherwise I need to give a calender months notice.

akescpt

Honorary Master
hectic. good luck. ultimately u have to decide what makes you happy!

marco79

Expert Member
If I could leave today I would, but I need the rest of this months salary to get my furniture back to Cape Town.

seanyp00h

Expert Member
I think give him a call today. LEt him know that you would like to have a talk ASAP

syntax

Executive Member
Dude, you have made up your mind...just get it done.

There was a thread recently on how to resign...decent pointers in there!!

Slight thread hijack, does probation period automatically dictate notice period? IE if in contract it says termination of employment you need to give 2 months notice etc I gather this does not apply to probation?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Have you got a fax or email from the other company telling you that they will employ you?

blunomore

Honorary Master
Wish I can 'resign' too ... but I know my job is easier/cushier than most people, so I cannot complain too loudly.

marco79

Expert Member
Have you got a fax or email from the other company telling you that they will employ you?

I don't have the contract yet, but I do have an e-mail from one director stating I can resign and I will get the contract before the end of today. They need me to start 01 November 2010.

During my probation period I can give 24 hours notice. This ends today. Thereafter its a calender months notice.

roddyp

I have a number of employees and occasionally i get resignations and everyone always so bad about resigning. My answer to them is always the same.

"You need to look after yourself first. The company will not necessarily do whats best for you. only you can determine that. Never feel bad about resigning. All things come to a natural end. Look after yourself first and place your happiness above that of the companies. Otherwise you are screwed..."

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I don't have the contract yet, but I do have an e-mail from one director stating I can resign and I will get the contract before the end of today. They need me to start 01 November 2010.

During my probation period I can give 24 hours notice. This ends today. Thereafter its a calender months notice.

From experience, wait till you get the contract then resign. Be honest to your employer about the reasons for leaving. We are all human.

All the best.

Lounger

Expert Member
Just be aware that on your CV it may look like you didn't get through the probation period. I would advise you to wait until you are permanent and then give notice.

marco79

Expert Member
I have a number of employees and occasionally i get resignations and everyone always so bad about resigning. My answer to them is always the same.

"You need to look after yourself first. The company will not necessarily do whats best for you. only you can determine that. Never feel bad about resigning. All things come to a natural end. Look after yourself first and place your happiness above that of the companies. Otherwise you are screwed..."

Great advice! Thanks.

marco79

Expert Member
From experience, wait till you get the contract then resign. Be honest to your employer about the reasons for leaving. We are all human.

All the best.

Thats why I'm waiting for later this afternoon. I'm going to call him now and ask to meet me somewhere if he isn't coming to the office.

marco79

Expert Member
He just stepped into the office. Makes my job easier. Now I don't have to explain why I want to see him.

Now just to wait for the contract!

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
sorry, but this is poor advice!

Yes... you need to be professional about these things.

You might need them for a reference one day and then you will need to have kept a good relationship.