So my PC finally died..

Uraeus

Hey MyBB,

My workhorse of a laptop has given its last puff, and i'm starting my
search for a reliable 'n fast desktop and would really love some help on the
matter :)

Requirements:
1) I need the PC to last me a good 2-3 years
2) It needs to be fast since helps with the compiling, and cant stand windows going slow.
3) The last PC game I have played is Farcry 1 and it lagged like hoo hah, so am hoping for something
that can play newish games without lag. *Hides*
4) I don't need HDD's/screens/key board and mouse.
5) My budget is R11k

From this I figured this would be a good start:
CPU: Core i7 950 3.06Ghz 8MB L3 ~R2800
MB: MSI X85A-GD65 ~R2200
RAM: 4GB 1333 ~R1000
(Would there be much of a speed difference between 1333 and 1600?)
GFX Card: MSI GTX460 1GB OC ~2500
Case: ?? ~R1000
PSU: I have a 500W PSU, not sure if this is adequate. Willing to budget R800 for new one

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
Please feel free to give other builds.

-PC less guy

biltong

R800 won't be enough for a good PSU that'll power that. You're looking at at least R1k.

Other than that, I'd say good build :) Though I haven't heard of the 950 before so not too sure about that.

Uraeus

I was worried about the PSU :/ Darn. Annoying, bought 500W PSU for a friend, and he didnt use it,
so its brand new. Oh Well :) I thought id go for the 1366 socket (950) as i see this being more widely expanded in future.

Thanks biltong :)

ponder

Honorary Master
R800 won't be enough for a good PSU that'll power that. You're looking at at least R1k.

Other than that, I'd say good build :) Though I haven't heard of the 950 before so not too sure about that.

I dunno what PSU he has but I don't think he requires more than 500W. I know quality is a issue.

Uraeus, what PSU do you have?

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
CPU: Yes get the 950!! R2800
Mobo: your choice is adequate I'm assuming it's this one?58 not 85 :) I'd try get this one, but if you won't use the features then stick with the msi R2200
RAM: x58 uses triple channel so you wanna buy ram in sets of 3.. eg 3x2GB such as these: http://www.wootware.co.za/g-skill-f3-12800cl7t-6gbpi-3x2gb-ddr3-1600-desktop-memory-retail.html R1500
GPU: GTX 470 http://www.prophecy.co.za/evga-012p...-gtx470-1280mb-gddr5-320bit-pcie-p-83542.html R3133
Case: http://www.prophecy.co.za/coolermaster-rc692kwn2-cm692-advanced-with-window-p-68793.html R1100 <- looking at buying one :)

Now if you go with the 470 I'd recommend you get a better PSU, if you want to stay with the 460 then I'm sure a 500w is up to the job, but the one you linked looks dodgy so rather get a nice new one ;), just check that it has the required 2 x PCI-e power connectors (6pin) you can use adapters to turn molex into 6pin but meh not a fan of that..
Also it's quite good (imo) to get a PSU that has 2 rails, where 1 rail feeds the CPU and the other feeds the GPU, but thats just me..
Now I'd say get something like this: http://www.prophecy.co.za/modxstream-700w-continuous-wire-2024-p-44572.html R1100 Modular ftw:D
TOTAL: R11833 give or take a few rands :) well mostly take I think..

You should also think of getting a little CPU cooler like: http://www.wootware.co.za/cogage-true-spirit-1366-copper-base-aluminium-fin-with-4-heatpipes.html R360 Will keep things nice and cool an quiet, plus you can OC quite nicely as well ;)
So it's up to you.. You can always get a cheaper case/card/or less ram (3x1GB) but this is a really decent setup that will last you long time and look good!!

Plus it will play crysis :p

Now just shop around for the best prices/deals :)

Last edited:

Uraeus

Awesome :) Thanks for the feedback and recommendations nakedpeanut :)
Now I just need to way it all up and go shopping!

I didnt realise that about the RAM, thanks for that :) Was just thinking of getting 1 4GB stick, I guess 6GB shouldnt hurt.
I see from your sig that you have quite a mean machine too.

I think crysis will quite an upgrade from the first farcry. Not going to be able to sleep for a while, since most prob will catch up on the games which my friends played
years ago.lol

Edit: Uhm, I did make a typo on that MB btw, it is the X58A-GD65
OMW, that case!:crying::crying: It is just beautiful!

Last edited:

Re83L

Expert Member
From this I figured this would be a good start:
CPU: Core i7 950 3.06Ghz 8MB L3 ~R2800
MB: MSI X85A-GD65 ~R2200
RAM: 4GB 1333 ~R1000
(Would there be much of a speed difference between 1333 and 1600?)
GFX Card: MSI GTX460 1GB OC ~2500
Case: ?? ~R1000
PSU: I have a 500W PSU, not sure if this is adequate. Willing to budget R800 for new one

It seems to me like you're one of those guys that wants to go high-end without the real need to.

The 950 and X58 is great, but NOT at the expense of a very good PSU and GPU.

If I were you, I'd pick my components in the following order - I will also add what I'd have chosen for your budget:

1. PSU - Corsair TX 650 or 750 - overkill, but I'd go overkill here)
2. GPU - 5870
3. CPU - AMD 1075t OR i7 950 OR i5 750
4. RAM - Almost all kits have lifetime warranties, so depends whether you want to OC

You're in KZN, check out www.zones.co.za ,they have INSANE birthday specials coming up, maybe buy the CPU + Mobo + RAM combos

Then you just buy your PSU + Case + rest elsewhere.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Go i5 and spend the saving on VGA or SSD. Test that PSU before you blow 1k on something you may not need.

Chiller89

~1000 for a case?
Just wanted to poke in here, but if you wanted to save a bit on the case, you can get a good one for R500-700 and then have more money to spend on a bigger PSU or a upgrade some other parts?

Uraeus

Thanks for your reply and feedback Frag.

The last time I built PC was awhile ago, so I was unsure of the
Power requirements.It does make sense now to get at least a 600W.

As for the GPU, all I want is lag free games.I'm so used to having to sacrifice quality for no lag (on laptops), so hopefully I won't need to do to much of that.

The reason I want to go 'high end', is so the PC will last 2-3 years without the need for over clocking.

What is the advantage of running RAM at 2000MHz when PC runs at 1333MHz? Would it be recommended to get it for my setup?

I am aware of pc-zones specials,i don't think I can stomach waiting in a line for hours.as well as I have been sung by their customer service, or the lack thereof.They don't seem to like the fact that some of the parts they sell, just don't work, or break after some time. There prices are insane though...

Thanks again :)

killadoob

Honorary Master
Don't worry about memory speed, you don't plan on overclocking and there is barely any difference between 1333 and 2000 anyhow. Waste of money.

Uraeus

I intend on testing the PSU first as suggested, just I fear that it may not be enough. I don't want fate of whole system to depend on PSU :/

I agree with getting a cheaper case, I haven't been to a lan in years due to lack of time, and the case will most likely be out of view for it's lifetime.

Hmm,i really would like SSD in future, but as for now I intend on using old drives in few raid 0's.

I think I want to stick with the i7 range as I've only hard good things about it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys n gals (Just in case). :)

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
If he has the money and wants to buy an awesome rig let him! :)
Plus I would go for the 470 over a 5870 or 5850 as their current pricing is very good!! with the performance to match. Now you need new PSU regardless of what card you choose!
And I doubt you need more than 600w on a single card setup (exl 5970) but a good PSU and case can last through many upgrades! So it's always good to spend a fair amount here..
At the moment I wouldn't go for an AMD setup as although marginal, Intel i5 750, i7 8xx and i7 9xx basically beat every AMD out there in almost every game benchmark..
i5 is a really good performer but you need to give it a nice OC to make full use of the chip :D. But I would stay with the i7 9xx as it is in your price range and the socket is not getting canned like the 1156 socket (i3, i5, i7 8xx).

Uraeus

I think the major difference between the ram's, is one is a tad more pricey. :/ I don't think I will feel the difference.

XineoX

For the GPU I'd suggest going SLI with the GTX 460 packs a huge punch for more or less the same price as the 5870 :p

Uraeus

My view of it is that the setup is once off (for awhile at least), so I don't mind spending on it. I thought I would go for the new socket as I want as much upgradeability in future :)

Uraeus

I will plan on getting SLI / crossfire in future when the card prices come down in about a year :)

Would also like to get to see rig first before buying another card..surely the speed increase is marginal.?

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
For the GPU I'd suggest going SLI with the GTX 460 packs a huge punch for more or less the same price as the 5870 :p

That is also true about the performance but thats like 4.5k... Which is a little out the price range :)

XineoX

That is also true about the performance but thats like 4.5k... Which is a little out the price range :)

Unfortunately that is true lol but luckily he wants to only go SLI/Crossfire next year so I'd still suggest the GTX 460 seeing as it will play the latest games with ease for the next year at least. :D

Or maybe wait until October to see what AMD (formely ATI :() will release with their 6000 series. Plus prices on their 5000 series should hopefully come down.

Now just make sure you have a good PSU :p