Software to watch 5.1

PurpleSnow

I need help with a program live VLC to watch movies that were ripped in surround.
I think the sounf is 6ch AAC.

Is there software available to do this. i have a 7.2 home theater surround system connected by optical. watching blu ray movies from disk the system goes to dolby surround.

I want the system to to this with ripped movies as well if here is a way.

saor

Honorary Master
You don't need additional software.
VLC & other players will output the number of audio channels in the file.
Is you audio configured to 5.1 in Control Panel?

PurpleSnow

but im running optical it doesnt give me option to change to 5.1 in sound software. or should i change it in windows

saor

Honorary Master
A surround sound capable card or motherboard should allow you to specify your surround setup in windows Control Panel > Sounds / Audio. You can also do a sound test there which will send audio to various channels one at a time.

What soundcard you using?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
What surround system is it? You generally don't want to use optical unless it's a last resort. If you can pass through audio via HDMI that's what you should do.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
but im running optical it doesnt give me option to change to 5.1 in sound software. or should i change it in windows

If your running it via optical it will output the digital unchanged sound from the movie you are watching, if its only 2.0 on your amp(where the decoding is done) it could means there is a setting wrong on the amp itself, or your amp simply cant decode the audio stream in surround....

Or maybe VLC is doing some post processing, check to see in the options if you didnt accidentally enable down sampling ...

PurpleSnow

ok so I just downloaded a movie 4k mkv dts HDMA 6.1 ddr audio and it does not play all the audio on vlc.
Ive tried other programs as well like gom player.

If I play a dts music dvd that is ripped on the pc in original form then it enables the dts on the amp a option on the amp comes on automatically that turns on a blue light and display says dts enabled.

if I go to audio settings there is no option to change to 5.1 only says realtech audio (optical)

on my main pc with head phones it works for some reason.

agentrfr

Executive Member
What format are you outputting on the optical? Remember that if it is raw PCM then there is only enough bandwidth over SPDIF for 2.0 audio. You need to send the data stream as either Dolby Digital, DD+, Atmos, AAC or Opus over the connection to get surround sound.

Your audio output muxer and your audio input receiver must both support the format used.

PurpleSnow

OK i found the problem in sound settings I see now that it shows in the advanced tab only 2 channel and nothing else, Ive tried new driver and a unlockedone as well but no joy. has someone came accross a problem like this.

when i do a test in the suported formats tab it plays on all 5 channels and sctivated the dts light on the amp as well.

Now I am really confused.

PurpleSnow

This is the options I get in settings there is no option for 5.1 or dolby.
but when i do a test in the supported formats tab it plays audio on all speakers.
why do they make things so stupid.

Attachments

• audio 2 jpg.jpg
    audio 2 jpg.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 28

agentrfr

Executive Member
Try this:
Set your windows audio output to the maximum available (24bit 192kHz). Restart computer.

Open VLC and:
Tools ---> Preferences ---> Audio ---> Output Modules ---> MMDevice ---> "HDMI/SPDIF audio passthrough" to Enabled. Restart VLC.

You may also need to fiddle with the receiver to set it to "Direct", "Just Play", "Digital" or something like that

Now try play the file in VLC and see if the light comes on

-----------------------
It's so stupid because the rest of the planet has moved on from compressing audio to outputting raw audio data to the amp. You dont need a DAC if your PC can do all the decoding and ouput the analog audio signal.

In your setup, your amp is actually a DAC and amp combination. What you are trying to do is pass the compressed atmos/dolby/trueHD/insertAudioFormatHere as a bitsream down the digital link over SPDIF over an optical cable in the hopes your amp's DAC can decode it properly.

SPIDF is like 20 years old. It is just a protocol to send a single digital stream down a pair of wires / an optical cable.

Atmos/TrueHD/etc. are compressed audio formats, like mp3 or aac. The digital stream needs to be uncompressed by the DAC to make audio for the amp to play.

This is why HDMI is 1000x better and is the defacto standard for playing audio. You have a huge amount of bandwidth to send 32 raw adio chanels at up to 192 kHz at 24 bit - and that is just the audio, not the video. SPDIF is two 192 kHz channels at 24 bit.

It is 2020. We isolate power supplies for sensitive equipment. We dont need to decouple audio equipment from eachother like we used to be forced to. SPDIF will go on to be a niche protocol and the rest of us can use HDMI as was intended

Last edited:

PurpleSnow

erm..... ok so basically no one is helping actually.

I was sure there was a driver or some setting I can use to change the output in windows from 2.0 to 5.1 in the settings menu but using an optical output.

because the main reason is that not everybody has the money to upgrade an amp each time they change the style of output to something better or newer.

Ill keep searching thank you anyways.

jones123

this was said.

A surround sound capable card or motherboard should allow you to specify your surround setup in windows Control Panel > Sounds / Audio. You can also do a sound test there which will send audio to various channels one at a time.

which motherboard or sound card ? there should be settings in the sound drivers or software to do this
something like this

1580401211952.png

Last edited:

PurpleSnow

if I do a test in windows settings on dts it plays sound in all 6 channels but i only have a 2.0 option in the advanced tab.

and in the realtec software i cant specify channels everything is greyed out when using optical.

when I play a blu ray disc on the machine it works and switches to dts on the ampifier.
So it can only be a software problem or a player to play the 6 ch video file.

jones123

In VLC under your audio settings is the digital audio output set to pass through ?

Have you tried playing thorough another media player ?

ponder

Honorary Master
VLC -> Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback, and then paste the full log here.