Nuke1

I have a 20Kl pool and had 4 solar panels that has worked very well for a year. The water coming into the pool is always warm, even on cloudy days.
I recently decided to add another 2 panels expecting it to be even better but to my surprise the water coming into the pool is now much cooler. I am totally baffled as to how this is possible. The pool guy thinks Im talking nonsense but it is genuine.
Sun is shining today and almost no heating taking place.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am very disappointed and might get the new panels taken off again.

upup

Executive Member
Must say years ago I had 3 solar panels on the roof, the company said more panels will be a waste. They told me to get a pool blanket. I made one from pvc pipe and black plastic. I worked well , pool got very hot. My family also build a pool, got solar, but build a wall 1 meter around the pool. except at the braai, there pool water were always hotter than mine , due to no wind over the water.

Nuke1

pic and drawing, is the water flowing thru it.
Can you feel a difference in inlet and outlet pipe.
Pool guy checked it out and water is flowing correctly so it is working but just not as well as with 4 panels. Maybe its just the change in weather as its a bit cooler but Im convinced it is less efficient.

spiff

Executive Member
I have a 20Kl pool and had 4 solar panels that has worked very well for a year. The water coming into the pool is always warm, even on cloudy days.
I recently decided to add another 2 panels expecting it to be even better but to my surprise the water coming into the pool is now much cooler. I am totally baffled as to how this is possible. The pool guy thinks Im talking nonsense but it is genuine.
Sun is shining today and almost no heating taking place.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am very disappointed and might get the new panels taken off again.
Can your pump handle 6 panels? If you are not circulating all the water then it won't work well.

My 30kl pool had 6 panels and got to 36°C in summer but if the wind was blowing it would cool down noticeably.