Some questions on Rain and stats...

adriaandj

Hi all,

Got my Rain today and i have some questions.

1. Mounted unit on a pole over my roof and get these stats.... On the optimiser site 115mbps.
On speed.rain i get 5.3mbps DL and 23mbps UL.

2. Moved the router on my window cill on the opposite side of the property and get these stats....
On the optimiser 230mbps. On speed.rain 7mbps DL and 33mbps UL.

Screenshots of each attached... dont know what is good and what is bad regarding dbm's. If someone could point me in the right direction as I know now i am 400m away from the tower line of sight.

Why would there be such a big difference in speed on the optimiser and speedtest. As speedtest with wireless gives me different results as well.

Attachments

powermzii

Expert Member
Those stats are pretty decent and should result in you getting higher speeds, especially the roof mount one.

You might want to try and lock the 5G to n78 and see if that helps.

under_sky

Expert Member
Hi all,

Got my Rain today and i have some questions.

1. Mounted unit on a pole over my roof and get these stats.... On the optimiser site 115mbps.
On speed.rain i get 5.3mbps DL and 23mbps UL.

2. Moved the router on my window cill on the opposite side of the property and get these stats....
On the optimiser 230mbps. On speed.rain 7mbps DL and 33mbps UL.

Screenshots of each attached... dont know what is good and what is bad regarding dbm's. If someone could point me in the right direction as I know now i am 400m away from the tower line of sight.

Why would there be such a big difference in speed on the optimiser and speedtest. As speedtest with wireless gives me different results as well.
Go into the router and set the thing to fixed 5G n78

FrikkieSwag

Trust me at this point in time with RAIN 5G it doesn't really matter if you have good dbm or not

Seen people with weaker dbm than my -70dbm and still getting better speeds

But if it helps the lower dbm you have the better for example -65dbm is better than -70dbm and -60dbm is better than -65dbm. You get the point

I think RAIN said if you have less than -90dbm you should be fine but have seen someone with like -100 something dbm and still had good speeds

With your dbm it shouldn't be that bad

adriaandj

And why would the optimiser show 115mbps but the speedtest only gets to 20mbps?

adriaandj

Trust me at this point in time with RAIN 5G it doesn't really matter if you have good dbm or not

Seen people with weaker dbm than my -70dbm and still getting better speeds

But if it helps the lower dbm you have the better for example -65dbm is better than -70dbm and -60dbm is better than -65dbm. You get the point

I think RAIN said if you have less than -90dbm you should be fine but have seen someone with like -100 something dbm and still had good speeds

With your dbm it shouldn't be that bad
Thats what I thought as well as i did a comparison to my mate's data and its basicly identical give or take 1 dbm and he gets 450mbps DL on speedtest.net

FrikkieSwag

And why would the optimiser show 115mbps but the speedtest only gets to 20mbps?

To put it in simple terms their optimizer is ******

You'll always get better speeds on the optimizer site than on a speed test website

I'm not a 100% certain but I think RAIN just uses the optimizer to test your speed between your router and the tower you connect to

adriaandj

At this stage i have full 5G signal with the light on the router going blue and green the whole time. 4G light is 3 out of 5 and is a yellow light.

FrikkieSwag

Thank you @FrikkieSwag Going out in the cold weather tonight on the roof to try and see if i can get better signal.

You're welcome :)

Just check that you point the lights towards the tower ( you'll see there is a little red mark on the bottom where the lights are, that needs to point towards the tower )

Also don't rely too much on where the optimizer shows where the tower is. Point your router in the general direction and see where you get the best speeds

You might wanna take a Saturday off because it might take you awhile, because you need to check if you can get the 5G light green ( or yellow at least ), then check your dbm ( get it as low as you can )

This part you don't have to do if you get good speeds and latency otherwise do the steps below as well

You might have to change some settings on the router itself like lock your router to 5G ( n78 ) and also change your antenna to fixed and change it all the way from 1-10 to see which one gives you the best results

If you're going to do gaming then I would suggest also to check your latency ( the lower the better )

At this point if you can get above 80Mbps and your latency to below 20ms then you're good to go

Like I changed my settings last night to lock my router to 5G (n78) and my antenna setting is fixed ( 5 )

Currently getting about 130Mbps down and 60Mbps up with 10ms ping from speedtest.net

adriaandj

Thanks. I'll check tonight as this cold weather is not great to run around on a roof. My friend that stays 5km away from me has a direct line of sight to his tower as the tower is up the hill. He told me both 5G and 4G lights need to be blue. With both blue, he gets 485mbps and 68mbps. I'll aim for green and blue then as the 5G is blue/green and signal still shows 5/5 bars on both colours.

FrikkieSwag

You're welcome. Good luck XD

5km is a bit far for 5G but he has clear LOS so that helps

Even if you get full bars doesn't mean you'll get a reliable connection ( check out some of the other posts where users complain about having full bars but no connection or poor speeds )

No light = Bad
Blue = Okay
Yellow = Better
Green = Better than Okay

I'm certain you'll manage and get a reliable connection that you're happy with atleast until RAIN truly sorts out the network

adriaandj

You're welcome. Good luck XD

5km is a bit far for 5G but he has clear LOS so that helps

Even if you get full bars doesn't mean you'll get a reliable connection ( check out some of the other posts where users complain about having full bars but no connection or poor speeds )

No light = Bad
Blue = Okay
Yellow = Better
Green = Better than Okay

I'm certain you'll manage and get a reliable connection that you're happy with atleast until RAIN truly sorts out the network
I'll go for green then I know I'm in the clear. WOuld just like to get 200mbps as that is what I'm paying for.