Sonoff Devices / Sonoff with Tasmota

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The pows you need to short a contact to ground if I remember right, as the button isn't connected to the right gpio pin
R2 only needs the button.

Not sure about the original POW.

Actually same with the original it seems.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
So it must be software or cables. I am using the same cable setup as i used last year. Had it labelled well and using it this year , I do see the sonoff powering up , one blue led flashes if I don't press the button on it.
You're right.
My R2s I flashed with just the button.
So it must be software or cables. I am using the same cable setup as i used last year. Had it labelled well and using it this year , I do see the sonoff powering up , one blue led flashes if I don't press the button on it. Will try another computer. Thx guys

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Update. Pressing the button on the R2 for 8-10 seconds while powering on did the trick. I could then flash the POW R2s using the new Tasmota-PyFlasher. The dual doesn't work but I guess I need to short out GND+Button 1 or something. Will do so as soon as I find a nice piece of wire :)

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
@InternetLuddite @patrick123
A question on flashing. My soldering skills are non existent. I probably will only ever flash the Sonoff once. I have read about just slotting in male connectors into the board. Practical?

BTW from what I have read, once flashed with tasmota the Sonoff devices and work in local mode.

If all goes well I may need to start a new thread. Just waiting on a bunch of stuff to arrive from China, then I can get my hands dirty.

patrick123

Expert Member
A question on flashing. My soldering skills are non existent. I probably will only ever flash the Sonoff once. I have read about just slotting in male connectors into the board. Practical?

BTW from what I have read, once flashed with tasmota the Sonoff devices and work in local mode.

If all goes well I may need to start a new thread. Just waiting on a bunch of stuff to arrive from China, then I can get my hands dirty.
Depending which Sonoff units you get, you might be able to simply flash them Over The Air. Some people simple hold the wires in place with a bit of Prestik, as it is a once off flash, after that it is all OTA.

Yes, once they are flashed, they run on your local lan and communicate via MQTT with Home Assistant, and if you enable the Wemo or the Hue Bridge emulation, then Alexa and Google Home are also able to communicate directly with them.

Good luck!

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
@patrick123

I ordered a whole bunch of basic switches, the older version, for R65. The basic R3 are R100 and I'll probably order those next time round. Looks like after flashing them I can access them directly via HTTP. Helpful where there is no internet or wifi (well still use phone's wifi) access.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

I have never soldered a single one for flashing.

I have at least 10 different devices in my house.

patrick123

Expert Member
@patrick123

I ordered a whole bunch of basic switches, the older version, for R65. The basic R3 are R100 and I'll probably order those next time round. Looks like after flashing them I can access them directly via HTTP. Helpful where there is no internet or wifi (well still use phone's wifi) access.
The older basics are able to be flashed OTA, so there should not even be a need for you to open them up.
Once flashed, they start as a simple wifi access point, which you can then access via HTTP to configure onto your wifi network as well as manipulate them directly.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep

I have flashed about 500 devices, only the S26 requires soldering.

You can still use local with eWelink. Tasmota of the like will require your own server of sorts (Docker, Pi, dedicated, Dot, etc.)

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Update. Pressing the button on the R2 for 8-10 seconds while powering on did the trick. I could then flash the POW R2s using the new Tasmota-PyFlasher. The dual doesn't work but I guess I need to short out GND+Button 1 or something. Will do so as soon as I find a nice piece of wire :)
Ground to GPIO1, easy once you know where it is.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I have flashed about 500 devices, only the S26 requires soldering.

You can still use local with eWelink. Tasmota of the like will require your own server of sorts (Docker, Pi, dedicated, Dot, etc.)
Thanks. I can't get my Basic's (fw 3.3.0) to work on local lan. They always say offline.

From what I have read about Tasmota is that you can connect directly to them via wifi by selecting the device in your wifi list. I'm looking to do this for devices I want to deploy in remote areas.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Thanks. I can't get my Basic's (fw 3.3.0) to work on local lan. They always say offline.

From what I have read about Tasmota is that you can connect directly to them via wifi by selecting the device in your wifi list. I'm looking to do this for devices I want to deploy in remote areas.
Local LAN is definitely available on the Basics, so that's a bit odd.

Actually you can use Yeti for local linking to Tasmota.

BetaProject

Depending which Sonoff units you get, you might be able to simply flash them Over The Air. Some people simple hold the wires in place with a bit of Prestik, as it is a once off flash, after that it is all OTA.

Yes, once they are flashed, they run on your local lan and communicate via MQTT with Home Assistant, and if you enable the Wemo or the Hue Bridge emulation, then Alexa and Google Home are also able to communicate directly with them.

Good luck!
I flashed my devices with ESPhome, and don't need MQTT. After flashing over USB, subsequent flashing is Ota, and communication is via an Api, all handled by the ESPhome integration.

Integrating Google Assistant and HA exposes all HA devices, including the Sonoffs, for control via voice or Google Home.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
So thanks to the power hiccups (thanks Eskom) our power was literally turning on/off every 2 seconds. When it stabilised, everything in home was up , but three sonoffs did not deal with the power cycling. They are all connected to the expensive Ellies surge protected plugs. For the pow r2 that I could reach, the blue led just blinks. Does not do anything else. Is it borked, or is there anything I can do to recover it. Pressing the button to activate relay does nothing if that provides a clue. So sad, I had just got them last month from smartkit. Running tasmota.

Update: 8 hours later. :crying::crying:. Every Sonoff POW R2 that was under load, did not like the electricity power cycling, so the ones controlling my geysers and fridges are borked. Still hoping against hope that I can reflash them. But perhaps I should have just bought Shelleys ...

Last edited:

abudabi

Expert Member
Eish.. Dis 'n kakke.

Away on holiday but I'm assuming mine are still fine as I can control them from here. No pow units though.. Only lights, minis and duals running on stock.