Sorting 101Gb of music?

sitnet

Well After a year of collecting I have exactly 101Gb (28928 songs, 2200 folders) of music :) Why so much, I bring the music to out parties and I have to cater for everyone's needs...

Now my problem is that it is pretty much a mess. There are hundreds if not thousands of duplicates, and drive space is becoming a problem. So I have searched everywhere, but I can't find a good software solution to sort my music for me. I am really not going to try and find all those duplicates myself...

I believe that most of the music is tagged, not sure though. The most most of it (like 95%) is MP3, the other is WMV and OGG. The software I have found looks like a scam to me because the same company makes "sort MP3.exe" "Automatically organize music.exe" "Sort music.exe" etc. Now why would one company make all these software with exactly the same purpose, SCAM written all over it.

So I need a software that will: Sort my music via Artist (in separate folders), Rename the files according to the tag info and delete duplicates (many may not have the same tag or name info so it will have to be smart like in looking at the actual file data and size).

That's all. Thanx for any help! :D

killadoob

Honorary Master
Hdd space is becoming a problem?

Go take 800 bucks and buy a 1tb drive, no problems.

sitnet

@Killadoob

HAHA yeah that's the prob I have 1.6 TB of space, but the rest is movies, series etc. 1Tb external and 2x 320GB Sata internals, and 1x 160GB for my operating system...

@PCsToGo

I use Media Monkey but can it put music in folders? Like not just in its playlist but also in actual folders on the HDD? I will try the duplicate finder.

Thanx :)

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Send me your hard drive. Wait 2 weeks. Get it back sorted.

sitnet

Send me your hard drive. Wait 2 weeks. Get it back sorted.

HAHA :D Serious? Well come to think of it, I would also do this, think of all the free stuff you'd get! Beats paying for unlimited cap any day.

But I'll pass, thanx a lot for the offer though:)

luketang56

ahhh yes please im in the same boat as you got way too much music thats in ONE BIG MESS with loads of duplicates lets hope we find a solution...

Last edited:

CellBel

Expert Member
HAHA :D Serious? Well come to think of it, I would also do this, think of all the free stuff you'd get! Beats paying for unlimited cap any day.

But I'll pass, thanx a lot for the offer though:)

I think it's a good offer, cos you can "sitnet en wag" for the results.:D

Last edited:

sitnet

I think it's a good offer, cos you can "sitnet en wag" for the results.:D

I think you are the first person that actually understands the meaning of my username, because that's really all I do most of the time:D

@ALL

OK my collection has shrunk to 90Gb, a whopping 11Gb were duplicates. So now my final goal is to place each artist in it's own folder. So I don't want any mixed folders anymore, I want a folder for each artist.

So Do any of you know of software that will do that? I know media monkey will sort it like that in its playlist but it seems like it can't physically put it in separate folders on that Harddrive.

Any suggestions?

AnomalyNexus

Picard works, but it'll take long & can be a bit hit&miss for compilations from different artists.

Didn't like mediamonkey personally.

For manual tag editing you can try the godfather. ReplayGain for adjusting volume.

Rosaudio

First Officer
I only have 3gb of music(on my 250gb portable HDD dedicated to music) and it feels like too much :D

Last edited:

MrMikey

So I don't want any mixed folders anymore, I want a folder for each artist.

So Do any of you know of software that will do that? I know media monkey will sort it like that in its playlist but it seems like it can't physically put it in separate folders on that Harddrive.

Any suggestions?

http://software.filestube.com/f/file2folder

Ignore the bit about karaoke files, it works with all music and video files. ;)

PS. Test it on 1 or 2 files to be sure it's what you want.

pmbellis

MediaMonkey

I know media monkey will sort it like that in its playlist but it seems like it can't physically put it in separate folders on that Harddrive.

Any suggestions?

:confused::confused::confused:

But I use MediaMonkey to do exactly that ...
1.) Get your tags right ... that's the hard part
2.) Select the songs you want to reorganize, Right-Click, Auto-organize Files, ... select the options ("configure" button on the right) ... Click "OK"

Tip: Create a "master" directory to be the root of your music tree, and then "auto-organize" in batches as you clear up tags ... you'll be amazed at how many non-identical (CRC) duplicates you actually have (i.e. same song at 192 and 64 bitrate ...)

I first moved all my files to a "Music1" masterfolder, and then started processing them from the "Location" section, so that as I "auto-organized" them to my "Music" folder they dissappeared from the "Music1" folder.

Took a while, but my 40Gb of music (was 60Gb) is now sorted exactly as I want it. :D