South African Software Agencies

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I think it's difficult to show ROI on junior devs to non software companies as there is a lot of work involved in training them up. And most normally stay with a company max 2-3 years. Businesses have expectations that senior dev level ability for juniors at their cost. Or the mentality that three junior devs should be able to provide the same output as a single senior dev.

Development should not be repetitive work, that should be automated or scripted. And the non repetitive work lies in that strange field of both creativity and logic that makes development such a rareish field. Sure , you could hire junior devs that are basic code monkeys , churning out boilerplate code but they won't learn and evolve if you just leave it at that.
Well, the ROI is that without hiring, a company is by definition dying. If you aren't growing, you are dying.

Personally I believe juniors are undervalued. You get some really bright college graduates who are eager to learn.

And if juniors leave as soon as they are good enough to get a better salary elsewhere, that is the company's fault, not the graduates. They should want to stick around because they are still growing and are earning decent salaries.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Well, the ROI is that without hiring, a company is by definition dying. If you aren't growing, you are dying.

Personally I believe juniors are undervalued. You get some really bright college graduates who are eager to learn.

And if juniors leave as soon as they are good enough to get a better salary elsewhere, that is the company's fault, not the graduates. They should want to stick around because they are still growing and are earning decent salaries.
You're giving up the prime of your life to spend 8+ hours a day working for someone, so they better reward accordingly from the start.

Otherwise get a dog if you want loyalty.

zippy

Executive Member
I have to agree. We also have an active graduate program and hire for attitude rather than skill. You can always up skill someone but getting them to buy into continuous learning, for instance, is much harder.
It’s actually cheaper to hire juniors and graduates. Spread them out in teams with more experienced developers. Out of 5 developers who joined us in the last 2 years only 1 was an experienced hire. The others where from uni and internally from non IT parts of the company. All doing pretty well afaik.

crackersa

Honorary Master
I actually think the not hiring juniors thing is mostly a South African thing. Most companies seem VERY reluctant to hire graduates or juniors.

I'm like, where do you think seniors come from?
Derivco hires juniors and interns regularly

Phavlik

our company Cyberpro Consulting specializes in providing teams to clients. We have around 180 consultants spanning the full SDLC. have a look at our website on www.cpconsulting.co.za and if you feel we can help give us a shout.