Speed when upgrading

fruitbat

Expert Member
Hi,
Im on Octotel fibre (via RSAWEB) on 10/10...downgraded from 100/25 as my wife was potentially getting retrenched so this and a few other things i "optimised". Fantastically - she didn't get retrenched, but had to take a pay cut.

I'm current getting 11 to 13Mbps up and down, and was wondering... since i have us and 2x kids at home, what if i up the speed now to 20/20, will i get 20/20 or it be 22/22 or something similar? Trying to ascertain what benefit i'm going to get before i pull the trigger. i do know 20/5 would not work as the 5 "up" isn't enough - once upon a time i had 10/5 and that didn't work at all when everyone was busy...

Thanks

Reactions: Yuu

Budza

Executive Member
I'm on 10/5. Same providers as you. Get around 12/6.

I've just put in my upgrade request for 20/20- hopefully it's sorted on Monday.

I'll add speed test results here when it's done.

fruitbat

Expert Member
I'm on 10/5. Same providers as you. Get around 12/6.

I've just put in my upgrade request for 20/20- hopefully it's sorted on Monday.

I'll add speed test results here when it's done.
Any luck?

Napalm

Expert Member
They might be downgrading people again soon... as the levels of lockdown are dropping quick.
I'm guessing we'll be on level 2 in next 2 weeks. Level 1 by end of June when it's Peak time for Covid in CPT.

Budza

Executive Member
They might be downgrading people again soon... as the levels of lockdown are dropping quick.
I'm guessing we'll be on level 2 in next 2 weeks. Level 1 by end of June when it's Peak time for Covid in CPT.
Octotel don't have any speed increases for the lockdown AFAIK.

fruitbat

Expert Member
Octotel don't have any speed increases for the lockdown AFAIK.
Correct. What you pay is what you get. I’m just keen to know what the speed test is for 20/20.
before I test it and then if not happy I pay a down grade fee...

Budza

Executive Member
Correct. What you pay is what you get. I’m just keen to know what the speed test is for 20/20.
before I test it and then if not happy I pay a down grade fee...
@fruitbat My 20/20: [ LMK if you have any specific tests you'd like done :) ]
1591169323173.png

International Speedtest:

1591169417887.png

Local:

1591169475070.png

Netflix 4K: [I think this is a 4K title- I've got a few devices on the network, idle though. NF say 25MB required for 4K. I was hoping I'd get it with ~21MB]

1591170488060.png

Napalm

Expert Member
I've never seen a netflix video goto 4K. and i have plenty of bandwidth available.

1591208521321.png

fruitbat

Expert Member

Napalm

Expert Member
What browser are you using? My screenshot is from Edge, which should do 4K...
I do use Edge also. I tried initially with Chrome but then it was stuck at 1280x720. On edge it can do 1080p no problemo.

fruitbat

Expert Member
I've never seen a netflix video goto 4K. and i have plenty of bandwidth available.

View attachment 850633
Have logged for my upgrade now to 20/20....

The final straw was my son coming into my room while i was presenting on MS Teams at my manco to tell me "Dad - the internet is not working. my Xbox can't connect"... i can only think its my kids and wife hogging the rest of the line... Anyhow - we will all benefit!

Budza

Executive Member
Yup- next it'll be the wife's phone uploading the months pics/WhatsApp backup.

Upload gets maxed and line dies for a few minutes. Always during a call. Uncanny.

Even with the upgrade, I'm seeing such slow downs, they're just over quicker...

I'm now looking at a guest network for non-workers (IE, everything except my + wife's laptops). Phones, TV, guests get a lower speed network during business hours.

20/20 is perfect for a WFH couple.

As you add kids, I'd imagine you may need more unless you have a plan/schedule similar to the above.

My colleagues have a mix between faster lines for more kids or more planning/throttling to better manage slower lines.

@fruitbat - what's the sweet-spot for your families' needs? Coming from 100, to 10 then settling on 20? Update here in a month :)

Napalm

Expert Member
Have logged for my upgrade now to 20/20....

The final straw was my son coming into my room while i was presenting on MS Teams at my manco to tell me "Dad - the internet is not working. my Xbox can't connect"... i can only think its my kids and wife hogging the rest of the line... Anyhow - we will all benefit!
I suppose it depends on how many devices you guys have. If you have 4K screen in tv room, maybe doing live streams via teams in 1080p from laptop or tablet.. 4K streams can HOG it... but if it's only 1080p streams. i think 20mbit should be good for 2 or 3 1080p streams.

4K can HOG 140mbit if the bitrate is really high. Also remember it needs read ahead buffer of 8-10seconds otherwise you might get it where it plays and 5-10seconds later it stops to buffer if it cannot read ahead fast enaugh. On mine i get 29seconds to 30seconds buffer on my link.
1593723260400.png

fruitbat

Expert Member
I suppose it depends on how many devices you guys have. If you have 4K screen in tv room, maybe doing live streams via teams in 1080p from laptop or tablet.. 4K streams can HOG it... but if it's only 1080p streams. i think 20mbit should be good for 2 or 3 1080p streams.

4K can HOG 140mbit if the bitrate is really high.
View attachment 869067
Got my upgrade. I called to follow up. And they actioned it in 30mins. Really cool.
I think the secret for me is managing the line... have my ubiquiti unifi setup, and the kids Xbox / iPad / etc is limited so it doesn’t affect me.
I only have a single tv in the house, so that helps. And my kids watch on that it iPad or laptop.
I’m happy with the upgrade - my downloads went up to 2.5-3mb/s... felt more “normal” :) Will ride this for a bit and see if I go to the next tier. But for now just managing costs...

Napalm

Expert Member
Got my upgrade. I called to follow up. And they actioned it in 30mins. Really cool.
I think the secret for me is managing the line... have my ubiquiti unifi setup, and the kids Xbox / iPad / etc is limited so it doesn’t affect me.
I only have a single tv in the house, so that helps. And my kids watch on that it iPad or laptop.
I’m happy with the upgrade - my downloads went up to 2.5-3mb/s... felt more “normal” :) Will ride this for a bit and see if I go to the next tier. But for now just managing costs...
Yip.. have to figure out the sweetspot. Fast but not breaking the bank. Things are tuff out there too. Prices of everything going up... yet company's want to cut down on bonus/increases/and sometimes basic pay even.

It is pretty ruff.

fruitbat

Expert Member
Yip.. have to figure out the sweetspot. Fast but not breaking the bank. Things are tuff out there too. Prices of everything going up... yet company's want to cut down on bonus/increases/and sometimes basic pay even.

It is pretty ruff.
Funny story... i did a speed test yesterday from my phone. Got +/- 4mb up and down....

Thought it was cos i was on the other side of the house etc and family was busy.

Did it this morning again - and same thing. Saw i had put my phone on the kids Xbox limit :D Switched it back to my profile on unifi, and full speed :)

You don't know what you have until you done have it... the 20 up/down is amazing... for now!

In my previous years...
100/25 was perfect for me:
eg. Google photos / apple device syncing / media downloads / kids on youtube / me working / etc. all ran without fail.

The only issue i ever had was DSTV on DSTV Now. And i had these issues when i had a brief experience on 200/200 as well.

So for my household - the 20/20 will prob be OK, but the 100/25 will mean less throttling...

I can say - the up speed has proved more critical - and can't be less than 10. eg. Back when i had 10/5 in the beginning when i thought - why would i need faster. Google Photos / Apple app updates killed the line. I didn't get this when i was on 10+ upload speed. I mean - non-responsive internet is a killer...

Napalm

Expert Member
Funny story... i did a speed test yesterday from my phone. Got +/- 4mb up and down....

Thought it was cos i was on the other side of the house etc and family was busy.

Did it this morning again - and same thing. Saw i had put my phone on the kids Xbox limit :D Switched it back to my profile on unifi, and full speed :)

You don't know what you have until you done have it... the 20 up/down is amazing... for now!

In my previous years...
100/25 was perfect for me:
eg. Google photos / apple device syncing / media downloads / kids on youtube / me working / etc. all ran without fail.

The only issue i ever had was DSTV on DSTV Now. And i had these issues when i had a brief experience on 200/200 as well.

So for my household - the 20/20 will prob be OK, but the 100/25 will mean less throttling...

I can say - the up speed has proved more critical - and can't be less than 10. eg. Back when i had 10/5 in the beginning when i thought - why would i need faster. Google Photos / Apple app updates killed the line. I didn't get this when i was on 10+ upload speed. I mean - non-responsive internet is a killer...
Depends on howmuch you upload and what you upload. If it's just a few email attachments for a small file here and there 5mbit is cool. but if you doing major uploads (like i had to do for work. uploading ISO for co-worker.. 5.7gigs. Then u need the biglink)

I think for Youtube streamers or Twitch streamers for games etc. then you need that constant upload speed to push 1080p content etc. Unless its pre-recorded footage and you upload it after the fact.

20/20 is proper link. It should last a long time. Nowadays these Steam games are all downloads. You rarely see games coming with a DVD disk or on Flash. It's all Dload from net, install and updates via internet. Also a way to clamp down on Pirate gamers.. You don't get the newest updates and items in the game, or better textures or new characters or maps or story line as the game developers update their products.