"Spot" fine.

redarrow

Expert Member
So this morning, driving towards Mthatha for work (I'm there now), as I enter the "Kei River pass" I failed to notice the two pigs :)p) with their little camera... oh dear :(

Consequently I got pulled over, apparently I was doing 114 in a 80 zone (my speedo was actually reading over 120 ;)) Anyway, the piggie shows me in his little book that the fine for this terrible crime is R1500.00 :eek:, however he assured me it would be much cheaper for me to just pay a "spot fine" of only R300.00.. :) So of course that's what I did.. :D

Most likely due to my optimistic nature and faith in my fellow human beings, it was only after I got back in my car that the questionable legality of the "spot fine" occurred to me.. :eek:

Anyway.. R300.00 is much better than R1500.00 I guess..
I really ought to have threatened to report him.. I may have got off for free then.. :D

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
You shouldn't have put this up on the forum. First off, it's not very nice to call Police 'pigs'. Secondly, how could you not ahve known that the 'spot' fine was a bribe? The corruption isn't going to stop if people keep feeding it.

thedutchman

Expert Member
hahahah, well done, a fifth of the price, well done mate. I once got pulled over doing 140 in a 100 zone, same story.... :D

Gunny

Expert Member
If an officer tells me pay a R300 spot fine I pay. Then ask for a reciept. I set my phone up so that on of the hard buttons launches voice recorder.....

flarkit

Executive Member
redarrow, without a receipt, what would stop the cop from issuing a fine anyway? You could wind up paying R1,800 in total...

Kokop

When travelling always only keep R200 "visible" in you wallet, oh bu officer, I only ahve x for spot fine.

Seriously, they are not pigs, just hungry.

redarrow

Expert Member
you are what is wrong with this country.

I vote you off the forum.
Gee :rolleyes: What bit you?

You shouldn't have put this up on the forum.
Sorry, I don't have your level of experience at posting "bad" threads. :p
I posted it, because I was interested to know if anyone else had any similar experiences.

First off, it's not very nice to call Police 'pigs'. Secondly, how could you not ahve known that the 'spot' fine was a bribe? The corruption isn't going to stop if people keep feeding it.
They're not Police, they're traffic officers and I call them pigs because they're greedy buggers only interested in making money off speed traps.

I still don't know if it was a illegal actually, I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know everything about traffic laws. This guy was a traffic officer, he told me that either I get issued a R1500.00 fine or I pay a "spot fine" of R300.00 right there, I acted in good faith, at the moment it never even occurred to me that he might be acting beyond his authority. There was no "wink wink" or "nudge nudge" or anything suspicious in his manner, he just told it to me straight like that.

redarrow, without a receipt, what would stop the cop from issuing a fine anyway? You could wind up paying R1,800 in total...
I don't know, I never thought about that.. :(
But then as far I recall he never took down my registration number or ID or anything.. He did ask for my license though.

If an officer tells me pay a R300 spot fine I pay. Then ask for a reciept. I set my phone up so that on of the hard buttons launches voice recorder.....
That's a good idea, thanks for that.. I'll make a note of it, in case it should ever happen again.. :)

scatlett

Gee :rolleyes: What bit you?

You were the Shabir Shaik in the corrupt relationship. There is no such thing as a 'spot fine'.

Because you paid a corrupt cop, you are part of the problem and I think you should be charged with corruption and be made to compensate society. So too should the cop be charged.

I am betting that you were well aware of the nature of the transaction and thought that it would make for interesting reading on the forum.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
You were the Shabir Shaik in the corrupt relationship. There is no such thing as a 'spot fine'.

Because you paid a corrupt cop, you are part of the problem and I think you should be charged with corruption and be made to compensate society. So too should the cop be charged.

I am betting that you were well aware of the nature of the transaction and thought that it would make for interesting reading on the forum.

I tend to agree with this post.

Niche

So this morning, driving towards Mthatha for work (I'm there now), as I enter the "Kei River pass" I failed to notice the two pigs :)p) with their little camera... oh dear :(

Consequently I got pulled over, apparently I was doing 114 in a 80 zone (my speedo was actually reading over 120 ;)) Anyway, the piggie shows me in his little book that the fine for this terrible crime is R1500.00 :eek:, however he assured me it would be much cheaper for me to just pay a "spot fine" of only R300.00.. :) So of course that's what I did.. :D

Most likely due to my optimistic nature and faith in my fellow human beings, it was only after I got back in my car that the questionable legality of the "spot fine" occurred to me.. :eek:

Anyway.. R300.00 is much better than R1500.00 I guess..
I really ought to have threatened to report him.. I may have got off for free then.. :D

R1500? That seems wrong. Keep up to date with the fine rates and stuff on the web. i think payfine.co.za has them up. Seems like you got scammed twice :p

redarrow

Expert Member

You know nothing about me and yet are quite happy to draw your own conclusions about me? You not only accused me of corruption, but now you are calling me a liar as well!

But hey, you are free to believe whatever you want, after all how can I possibly prove that I never suspected anything to you on an online forum? So if it makes you feel better about yourself to sit there throwing accusations at me then that's cool.

Just so you know, when I said, that it never occurred to me that there might be something less than legal in the officers behaviour, it was the truth and nothing less.
I'm not a genius like you or pooky though, I don't know everything about law, and so I generally tend to trust those who are supposed to be maintaining it (in this case the traffic officer).

And no, feel free to search through all my posts, you'll come to realise that I'm not someone who posts outrageous things in order to see what sort of reaction it gets or anything like that.

LottaFun

One day, that corrupt cop might be in a position to save your life, but because he is not receiving a bribe, or because he first phones the tow truck guy instead of the ambulance, you die. That cheap fine, could then cost you your life. What if it should happen to your wife, son or daugter. What goes around, comes around!

Let me put it in simple terms. You are a corrupt pig and no better than the guy that you paid the bribe to.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
You shouldn't have put this up on the forum. First off, it's not very nice to call Police 'pigs'. Secondly, how could you not ahve known that the 'spot' fine was a bribe? The corruption isn't going to stop if people keep feeding it.

Actually, I have a lot of respect for the SAPS. Overworked, underpaid and putting their life on the line every day.

Metro cops I have no qualms calling "pigs" especially after their little fiasco in Jo'burg last week. Opening fire with live rounds on Police doing their jobs. All they do is sit behind a camera with a bag full of doughnuts. Ever seen the JMPD (Johannesburg Meaningless Piggy Department) actually doing something beneficial for the community? Like directing traffic at an intersection during load shedding?

redarrow

Expert Member
Let me put it in simple terms. You are a corrupt pig and no better than the guy that you paid the bribe to.
That's right, join scatlett and pooky's "I don't read posts properly and then draw my own conclusions and ignore whatever was said" club..

It's a lot of fun to sit their self-righteously whilst throwing accusations at others isn't it? :)