SQL: Let your heart and SQL out here

Razer0

Expert Member
Hey guys,

Thinking of going into SQL for a full time hobby, possibly maturing into a healthy career.

Can I get your thoughts, opinions, favourite moments, expressions, etc etc here to help make an informed decision.

Thanks

Urist

Expert Member
Do it
Understanding SQL can be very useful for many companies.

Razer0

Expert Member
Do it
Understanding SQL can be very useful for many companies.
In its purest form?
I'm feeling like I'd be expected to know JavaScript on the burner to "be a worthwhile employee"

phil77

I use SQL a lot(mostly) since we work on the database. You will need to know the procedural side of it as well.

Urist

Expert Member
In its purest form?
I'm feeling like I'd be expected to know JavaScript on the burner to "be a worthwhile employee"
I'd recommend understanding how relational databases work and the concepts behind it, and then the actual syntax and scripting.
itzik ben-gan explains it quite well in his mcse exam prep books. Useful to learn sql alongside programming, can't go wrong.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Hey guys,

Thinking of going into SQL for a full time hobby, possibly maturing into a healthy career.

Can I get your thoughts, opinions, favourite moments, expressions, etc etc here to help make an informed decision.

Thanks
just linqpad it :ROFL:

phil77

Is

Is it fun? Exciting?
Details, details :) I need moar!
I find it fun, I have always worked with databases so I might say, I don't have experience in anything else different. There is more to it than just select * from table; it gets fun when you have to optimise slow queries and using complex functions.

You almost need to work in an environment where you use a lot of data to really appreciate SQL.

Razer0

Expert Member
I find it fun, I have always worked with databases so I might say, I don't have experience in anything else different. There is more to it than just select * from table; it gets fun when you have to optimise slow queries and using complex functions.

You almost need to work in an environment where you use a lot of data to really appreciate SQL.
That does sound like fun.

I imagine some turning around and walking out the door at this point :ROFL: *borriinnnnng

I'm keen to try. 30min a day?

Just need to keep my focus. I like Urist's recommendation:

"understanding how relational databases work and the concepts behind it"

Now I need to do some digging and find some jewels.. motivation..

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Hey bro what's happening?!? :ROFL:
Not much gaming these days unfortunately.

So on the SQL side, I work for a really big IT company and we have tons of SQL only guys. Some are DBA's but others are just SQL guys.
They pull out reports when requested and fix the odd small problem from time to time.
So really I think it comes down to the size of the company, the bigger the staff the more specialized people become.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
My favourite part is using Postgres to generate GUID IDs but for that to happen I need an extension enabled but for that to happen on Azure I need super user access which means code first deployments (EF) require super user credentials...

Whereas with MSSQL you don't. But you have to pay a lot for this basic luxury.

Razer0

Expert Member
My favourite part is using Postgres to generate GUID IDs but for that to happen I need an extension enabled but for that to happen on Azure I need super user access which means code first deployments (EF) require super user credentials...

Whereas with MSSQL you don't. But you have to pay a lot for this basic luxury.
That sounds exhaustive and complex.
What is a GUID ID?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
That sounds exhaustive and complex.
What is a GUID ID?
GUID = Global Unique Identifier. Looks like this: e65fa27d-c44a-4f1f-9a0f-cdee0fce3b36

So instead of using a numeric value for an ID (Primary Key) you use those. Why would you do this? Various reasons. Why wouldn't you do this? Various reasons.

Last edited:

Razer0

Expert Member
Not much gaming these days unfortunately.

So on the SQL side, I work for a really big IT company and we have tons of SQL only guys. Some are DBA's but others are just SQL guys.
They pull out reports when requested and fix the odd small problem from time to time.
So really I think it comes down to the size of the company, the bigger the staff the more specialized people become.
Oh no, that's not good :) Always make time to play :giggle: doesn't necessarily have to be gaming tho. Could also just be kicking a ball back at you off a wall.

Cool that's motivating. Thanks rocket boy. Good to see you again.

Razer0

Expert Member
GUID = Global Unique Identifier. Looks like this: e65fa27d-c44a-4f1f-9a0f-cdee0fce3b36

So instead of using a numeric value for an ID (Primary Key) you use those. Why would you do this? Various reasons. Why wouldn't you do this? Various reasons.
Why specifically would one use postgres to generate GUID's?