Starcraft II - Freezing / Hanging

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Anyone else having freezing / hanging problems in SCII? :(

Happens most often when reloading a game, loading a saved game or when finishing a mission.

Game freezes for 10-20 seconds, then drops to desktop and the Blizzard Error Reporting Tool pops up.

Love the game - but the freezing is really irritating!

Riot2

have not had a single crash or freeze
either ur playing the reloaded/razer/loader release or read what the error says and see if its driver/hardware based

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
have not had a single crash or freeze
either ur playing the reloaded/razer/loader release or read what the error says and see if its driver/hardware based
Wot's the reloaded/razer/loader release? I bought mine at CNA on St Georges Mall.

@kuga, thanks for the link - I've already tried that fix (in addition to another parameter that is added to shortcut) and still no luck.

Anyway, Bleh! - sometimes (but much more infrequently) it hangs midgame - so, save early save often for me until a more permanent fix shows up...

Game still rocks though.

(on the bright side, it ensures that I take regular breaks!)

Hmm, only been playing the single player campaign - hope I don't have this problem with multi-player.

Last edited:

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Righto - more research on Goodgle - in the logs "ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) occurred at 001B:00D8F596. The memory at '0x00000000' could not be read."

Not so uncommon I see - more investigation needed....

freeek

Expert Member
there are loads of ATI issues, check the official SC2 forums for some updates and work arounds

I am Penguin

Executive Member
Righto - more research on Goodgle - in the logs "ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) occurred at 001B:00D8F596. The memory at '0x00000000' could not be read."

Not so uncommon I see - more investigation needed....
Sounds more like an Xp problem to me.

alchamy

Expert Member
Looks like H/W or OS at a glance,

Make sure all your drivers are updated including Chipset, LAN, sound card etc

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Update:

After much googling, I remembered having a similar problem with Assassins Creed II. Much googling on that topic had led to the suggestion that I up the RAM Voltage slightly.

So.......I thought, "what if I upped the voltage just a little bit more again...and...

Wahey!!! Nor more freezing - problem solved - (well, one glitch last night at end of the Giant Laser Campaign) but only 1 glitch in 4 hours of play - that I can live with.

Awesome, awesome.

redheadfan

“Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt file and add these lines:

frameratecapglue=30

frameratecap=60
Works perfectly now!

saffakanera

Expert Member
If you are using a Win 7 / 2 gig DDR3 build like me, and stack the ever so awesome and mighty SC2 on top of that, it seems to ride it to the max, I think an extra 2 gig ram expansion would pretty much guarentee a smooth game with High texture / ultra (minor) config.

My specs:

Q6600 (OCed to high heaven + Coolermaster V8 )
Expensive Gigabyte mobo (DD3 775 board?!) :)
XFX 5850
22 inch screen
DDR3 2 gig 1333 mhz.

Hey question, could a bad OC config screw up syncing between CPU and RAM? But naw, its probably the RAM, minimizing takes AGES when the game + Itunes is open / anything else, theres DEF a RAM cap going on here. Otherwise the game is >>>>>>>