State capture inquiry begins

TysonRoux

Executive Member

R13...

Honorary Master
Does anyone remember this inquiry:
They'd do nothing because they were collecting tributes.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Scathing indictment from both the NPA and Zondo:
I always wondered how the ANC can overtly ask for R1m in donations, as well as R250k for flights for the ANCWL from people like Regiment capital and then turn around and have them 'prosecuted'

Lupus

Honorary Master
So when is the big cheeses going to face the music? When are we going to actually get to the root of all of this, the Big Zs?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
So when is the big cheeses going to face the music? When are we going to actually get to the root of all of this, the Big Zs?
The issues are systemic, and cannot be dealt with by existing institutions. Zondo needs to recommend significant changes to parliamentary and independent oversight bodies.

It may take a generation to sort out the mess. In some countries corruption has been endemic for decades. Democracy is not a magic formula, it needs strong buy-in from citizens.

Reform of the Electoral Act should tackle the issue from the other direction, with increased accountability of directly elected parliamentary representatives.

R13...

Honorary Master
The issues are systemic, and cannot be dealt with by existing institutions. Zondo needs to recommend significant changes to parliamentary and independent oversight bodies.

It may take a generation to sort out the mess. In some countries corruption has been endemic for decades. Democracy is not a magic formula, it needs strong buy-in from citizens.

Reform of the Electoral Act should tackle the issue from the other direction, with increased accountability of directly elected parliamentary representatives.
I'm not sure a US style election system would work any better here. The ANC would still field the most candidates and "support" their election. So, you'd end up right where you started with elected officials still beholden to the party because they need that same party to carry them. The only difference may be that the recalcitrant would have legal standing to refuse to be "recalled" when they become corrupt or just fall out politically.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I also wonder why its taking so long. What could the reason be?

I anyway believe that the prosecution and the court are too lax, whatever their reasons, maybe the case is too delicate to call in urgency. At this stage, it doesn't seem that the state will get anywhere with Thales. To wait on Thales is like waiting on the world to end.