Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Cremated

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Ishould_BeWorking

With turbulent markets abound, share your thoughts on the darlings and dogs out there on the stock markets which we could discuss on a daily / weekly basis as the markets ebb and flow.

Let's help each other make a buck or save a buck with some tips and suggestions on local stocks, ETFs, funds, foreign stocks, investments, opportunities, new products etc

List your picks for buy and/or sell and tell us why you think so. Share some useful insights and information to keep the passive / occasional / armchair investor informed, and lets have some water cooler / coffee machine banter on the picks ! :D

Ishould_BeWorking

Made a few bucks on RDF - Redefine - seems to have made some ground in the last week - up about 30% for me

THS - Tongaat Hulett Sugar seems like one to watch - looks like they are moving beyond their dark cloud with some news of some positive numbers coming through, still down on the holding but hoping for a positive run.

COH - Curro - beaten badly :crying:

Holding on a beaten SHP - Shoprite, seems like the best of a bad basket at the moment.

handyman007

I'm betting on Clicks over the next 6 or so weeks. Got in at R 217.00, let's see how it goes.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Telkom is on the up again.
I'm not personally getting into it this time, but I did time last time almost perfectly.

L-Dog

Expert Member
Darlings:
Sasol @ R 50
MTN @ R 40
Nasdaq100 @ R72

Dogs

Redefine @ R 10 (Should be a good buy now)
Curro @ R 20 (Should be a good buy now)
Woolworth @ R 70
Murray & Roberts @ R 20 (stay away)

Things to avoid - Print media/news papers, Banks (at least short term, low fees, bad debts), commercial property (office space)
Things to invest in - Online gaming (prosus), Electric cars, Alternative energy, Video Conference (Zoom etc)

Listen to Micheal Jordan (https://whatsnext.mybroadband.co.za/series-1/episode/1

Ishould_BeWorking

Darlings:
Sasol @ R 50
MTN @ R 40
Nasdaq100 @ R72

Dogs

Woolworth @ R 70

Things to avoid - Print media/news papers, Banks (at least short term, low fees, bad debts), commercial property (office space)
Things to invest in - Online gaming (prosus), Electric cars, Alternative energy, Video Conference (Zoom etc)

Listen to Micheal Jordan (https://whatsnext.mybroadband.co.za/series-1/episode/1
Sasol has always been a money taker from me... just have never timed it right

Ishould_BeWorking

Darlings:
Sasol @ R 50
MTN @ R 40
Nasdaq100 @ R72

Dogs

Woolworth @ R 70

Wondering about India and China, India has banned certain chinese apps... wonder if this may have an effect on chinese tech

L-Dog

Expert Member
I think India banned tik tock.. Mobile gaming is massive in Asia (saw this first hand in Singapore and Hong Kong) and Naspers owns a 1/3 of Tencent so the future looks bright although this is a mid to long term investment

terencej

Expert Member
I wanted to say that's not too bad but then I remember that a 30c drop on R1.91 is a more than 15% fall. feelsbadman
Yeah, it really is not that bad. I only bought like R900 worth of shares so its not breaking the bank money. Just think I should have done a bit more research and waited a couple of days to see where the share price goes before buying.

I have about 4 stocks that I researched and kept my eye on. Bought 3 of them. The 4th might happen today.

But with RMH, I did not do any research and I am seeing it in the result.

Hindsight is a bitch.