Stolen iPhone

oliverwww

Expert Member
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help. My brothers phone was stolen on Friday. We did all the iCloud actions, play a sound, lost mode etc etc. After hearing nothing we blocked the sim card today. I recently got a notification from Apple:

Your lost iPhone 7 Plus Silver has been located today at 01:30 PM.
View its current location:

Apple Support.

I went into Find my iPhone and no location was found although it was on. I then received an sms from the following number: 0820072381 which said “f*** you dont open any links.”
Now I am confused. The SIM card has been stopped so it must be connected to WiFi, however the phone is locked so I don’t see how they can crack the code and access the settings menu.

Should I kiss the phone goodbye or try and get hold of the number that sent the message above?

Not sure what to do... is it possible they have access to personal information?

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help. My brothers phone was stolen on Friday. We did all the iCloud actions, play a sound, lost mode etc etc. After hearing nothing we blocked the sim card today. I recently got a notification from Apple:

Your lost iPhone 7 Plus Silver has been located today at 01:30 PM.
View its current location:

Apple Support.

I went into Find my iPhone and no location was found although it was on. I then received an sms from the following number: 0820072381 which said “f*** you dont open any links.”
Now I am confused. The SIM card has been stopped so it must be connected to WiFi, however the phone is locked so I don’t see how they can crack the code and access the settings menu.

Should I kiss the phone goodbye or try and get hold of the number that sent the message above?

Not sure what to do... is it possible they have access to personal information?
That number belongs to Clickatell directly so somebody might have routed a message through their SMS platform,they should have the details of which company/person the message originated from but you'd have to lay a complaint to likely get that retrieved

oliverwww

Expert Member
That number belongs to Clickatell directly so somebody might have routed a message through their SMS platform,they should have the details of which company/person the message originated from but you'd have to lay a complaint to likely get that retrieved
Is it worth a shot? I tried phoning it now and it says it doesn’t exist, which makes sense. We have insurance which isn’t a problem, but my brother is worried about his personal information.

oliverwww

Expert Member
I just received this too. Is this legitimate?
Looks pretty fake to me.

Apple istore Information,
Find my iPhone case no: 100459992810

Dear ****,

This is Julian Otto from Apple iStore Senior Manager iOS Services we have received Your lost device 7 Plus 128GB Silver IMEI: 354●●●●●●●●9419 Provide us a valid Ownership so we can assist your further and dispatch your device to the Registered address:

https://locationioshelp.com/apple_support/117-u6U5x

Sincerely
Julian Otto from Apple iStore (find my iPhone Services Department)
( senior manager care ios Services ) 

TheJman

Expert Member
Looks pretty fake to me.

Dear ****,

This is Julian Otto from Apple iStore Senior Manager iOS Services we have received Your lost device 7 Plus 128GB Silver IMEI: 354●●●●●●●●9419 Provide us a valid Ownership so we can assist your further and dispatch your device to the Registered address:

Sincerely
Call iStore, best way to check - but call on their number you find online

Recallza

Looks pretty fake to me.

Dear ****,

Sincerely
Looks like a serious phishing attempt.. Don't fall for it :) The sad truth is, the phone is gone, and I highly doubt you'll manage to track it down as it's probably been wiped and in a different country..

My suggestion is to ignore all the scam emails/messages coming in and move on :)

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Is it worth a shot? I tried phoning it now and it says it doesn’t exist, which makes sense. We have insurance which isn’t a problem, but my brother is worried about his personal information.
Unless his phone was on swipe to unlock, what is he worred about?

oliverwww

Expert Member
Looks like a serious phishing attempt.. Don't fall for it :) The sad truth is, the phone is gone, and I highly doubt you'll manage to track it down as it's probably been wiped and in a different country..

My suggestion is to ignore all the scam emails/messages coming in and move on :)
Seems like the best idea. I’ve left it alone. Scary how these things have become so sosphisticated.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
You could pursue this route to have the police find whatever syndicate is running this Phishing operation to try unlock stolen iPhones,but in your personal capacity you are unlikely to benefit much over that

You are getting all of these fake notifications because you did the right thing remote blocking the device,and they can't do jack with it now,so they are trying to get a way in or something to make money out of it

I've used a cheapie prepaid data sim number as a contact number for locked phones,every now and then get a call with some sob story or another "just want my money back I bought this from someone" or "I bought this a present for my kid",I tell them to get shafted and stop trying nonsense stories buying stolen goods

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Seems that domain was created specially for you,or at least for today

Domain Name LOCATIONIOSHELP.COM
Registry Domain ID 2302694769_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date 2018-08-27T09:38:20Z
Creation Date 2018-08-27T07:42:56Z
Registry Expiry Date 2019-08-27T07:42:56Z