Street lights power consumption

jphegers

Oh FFS! Eskom is the cause for the crisis, not street lights.
FFS your missing the point, the more electricity unnecessarily wasted the higher the risk of load shedding hence the question i posed to configure how much power is wasted through a few hundred streetlights burning 24/7.

Gordon_R

Expert Member
A few years ago Eskom came around and replaced many millions of incandescent light bulbs with energy efficient ones. We still had load shedding in 2018, so clearly that didn't fix the problem, and there are limits to what demand-management can achieve. A few hundered street lights on 24/7 is the least of our problems.

RedViking

Honorary Master
A few years ago Eskom came around and replaced many millions of incandescent light bulbs with energy efficient ones. We still had load shedding in 2018, so clearly that didn't fix the problem, and there are limits to what demand-management can achieve. A few hundered street lights on 24/7 is the least of our problems.
Still a waste of resources......

OP did you report it to the municipality?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
FFS your missing the point, the more electricity unnecessarily wasted the higher the risk of load shedding hence the question i posed to configure how much power is wasted through a few hundred streetlights burning 24/7.
The 24/7 doesn’t matter as electricity cannot be stored.

It’s rather whether they remain on during load shedding heavy periods.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
The 24/7 doesn’t matter as electricity cannot be stored.

It’s rather whether they remain on during load shedding heavy periods.
Well I think it does as producing electricity is damaging to the environment and costs money and Eskom is a SEO.

If Eskom need money, who do you think they'll need to bail them out? Us the taxpayers. :|

Also Eskom have "issues" managing their coal supplies and maintenance of their infrastructure. So the more power you generate from the infrastructure (distribution and generation side), the more frequently you need to do maintenance.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
The street lights are kept on to try and prevent cable theft. Live wires are more difficult and dangerous to steal than passive wires

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Well I think it does as producing electricity is damaging to the environment and costs money and Eskom is a SEO.

If Eskom need money, who do you think they'll need to bail them out? Us the taxpayers. :|

Also Eskom have "issues" managing their coal supplies and maintenance of their infrastructure. So the more power you generate from the infrastructure (distribution and generation side), the more frequently you need to do maintenance.
They will produce the same amount of capacity regardless...

So it will have no effect.

genetic

Honorary Master
Street lights are there for safety. They solution lies in Eskom sorting out their generation capacity - not in them switching off street lights.