Students are more tech savvy, but does it really help them?

loc

Bit off topic but I've noticed even though the younger generation are more 'tech savvy', they still have no idea of how things work. They don't know what a router is or what it does, or a server

I've had coworkers ask me what internet to get at home. When I ask ADSL/3G/capped/uncapped? They say they just want wifi. One person thought you just get a wifi box, plug it in, and you're on the internet, no phone cables,SIM cards, or anything

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Bit off topic but I've noticed even though the younger generation are more 'tech savvy', they still have no idea of how things work. They don't know what a router is or what it does, or a server

I've had coworkers ask me what internet to get at home. When I ask ADSL/3G/capped/uncapped? They say they just want wifi. One person thought you just get a wifi box, plug it in, and you're on the internet, no phone cables,SIM cards, or anything

Talked to a first year in my ICT course. Did not know what a LAN port was.

shauntir

LOL! Seems like the "WIFI" buzzword did a bit of damage to how internet connectivity works.

loc

Talked to a first year in my ICT course. Did not know what a LAN port was.

heh..I was working at an IT company with someone who has some kind of IT degree and MCSE. They couldn't log onto a router. Just a home grade Netgear, not even a Cisco or anything

rrh

Expert Member
"Tech-savvy" - in today-speak - means that students are able to do more with their smart-phones.

But, beyond pressing buttons parrot-fashion ... :confused:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
It really shows the maturity and ubiquity of digital communication that people use it extensively, without knowing how it works.

More importantly: What on earth is with that stock image? In 10 years we will crack ourselves up about those shorts. Mind you, I already SMH when I see girls in them.

Malasius

+1 they have all the gadgets, smartphones, tablets etc but have absolutely no clue on any underlying technology or how it works...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Well, the ones who knew nothing of the last generation now know how to be a basic user. The "advanced" users are still advanced users (the ones who know the difference).
Note I am 18 and I know what you are talking about, so will the half of my uni class that actually has used electronics before. Even had people in ICT class that did not know what a motherboard was. I wonder what the drop-out rate is going to be.

Beachless

Executive Member
Yea working a device to browse your facebook is no more an technical indicator than driving a car is for mechanical knowledge.