Suicide Pact:- Your views-

Waaib

Executive Member
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...5326700C425843

So sad. On the radio they've been discussing it. Apparently in Bleed it's being reported that the wife was gassed before being burnt.

I'm still formulating my view but keen to hear others.

Euthanasia vs. Suicide vs. Murder .....

(posted in PD but the thread went all religious so trying here to get a less religious or society at large view)

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
W. T. F !!!

:mad:

You'd think that at that age, some wisdom would have been gained...

:mad:

DDV TECH

Expert Member
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...5326700C425843

So sad. On the radio they've been discussing it. Apparently in Bleed it's being reported that the wife was gassed before being burnt.

I'm still formulating my view but keen to hear others.

Euthanasia vs. Suicide vs. Murder .....

(posted in PD but the thread went all religious so trying here to get a less religious or society at large view)
The link won’t open for me, but in short it’s wrong. You are not to take a life, even your own. :(

Waaib

Executive Member
"It was love. They loved each other for 62 years in life and now in death."

These were the words of a Pretoria family as they described how their father's love for his ill wife drove him to kill her in an apparent mercy killing before he committed suicide.

The charred remains of Bettie Herbst, 79, a chronically ill diabetic, were found on Friday in the Pretoria North family's gutted Toyota Conquest on the banks of the Bon Accord Dam.

A frantic search throughout the weekend led police on Monday to the body of Herbst's husband, Hans, 87, who was found floating in the dam where he had drowned himself.

It is believed that instead of taking his wheelchair-bound wife to her doctor's appointment at Montana Hospital on Friday, Herbst drove her to her death.

Driving along a gravel road for about 50m, Herbst allegedly parked their car in an open spot before locking his wife in the car and setting it alight.

Apparent blisters on his hands indicated where the flames had scorched his flesh as the car burnt. It is not known whether he had had a change of heart and may have burnt himself while trying to free Bettie from the inferno.

With his wife burning to death, the frail Hans walked to the bank and into the water, his body surfacing three days later.

In a four-line suicide note addressed to his eldest son, Dries, which was found in the couple's flat on Friday, Herbst asked his family and God for forgiveness.

His horrified sons, Dries and Johan, on Monday helped police to identify his body after it was pulled from the water.

Dries Herbst, fighting back tears, said he did not expect it.

"Mom was so sick and had been slipping in and out of a coma. She was on a dialysis machine every second day and had been severely ill for more than a month, going into intensive care in hospital for two weeks.

"My father was under a lot of pressure and was battling. It was really difficult for him to watch the love of his life, his wife of 62 years, die like this.

"It was love. They loved each other for 62 years in life and now in death."

Herbst said the family had begged, pleaded and threatened his parents in an effort to persuade them to move into a frail-care home.

"Dad said the only way we would get him out of the house was if we carried him out feet first.

"We believe that dad did this because of mom's illness.

"I cannot believe that it has happened. I never thought that they would do this. It is tragedy, a nightmare that I can't wake up from," he said.

Herbst's daughter, Elise Bloem, said her father had been tired.

"It was killing him. He was slowly losing the fight in trying to help mom and it got too much for him," she said.

Murder and inquest dockets have been opened. - Graeme Hosken
September 02 2008 at 07:01AM - www.iol.co.za

DDV TECH

Expert Member
Agreed.

People; stop being so f*cking self-righteous and *try* to understand why he did what he did.
Nothing to do with self righteous. It depends on your faith, if you believe in nothing, then yes, feel the way you feel, if you believe that there is a hereafter, then no you would not feel the way you feel. But think what you want of me, I will not respond to any remarks you make on this post concerning religion, so go for it, enjoy.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
No ways. I think people who commit suicide are completely selfish and stupid. There is nothing to understand.

Jewelbox

Expert Member
This is very sad, but a 87 year old should not be looking after a 79 year old who is chronically ill. If the sons could not take care of their parents, they should have been placed in an old age home, where others could have taken care.

Many old people are neglected by their children!

Kaiser

Well did it help either one?
Yes it did! She was suffering physically and he was suffering emotionally... The level of stupidity with some of you really grinds me.

'selfish and stupid', you say Pooky?

Can you even begin to imagine what they went through in 'life'? No? Then just stfu please.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Yes it did! She was suffering physically and he was suffering emotionally... The level of stupidity with some of you really grinds me.

Can you even begin to imagine what they went through in 'life'? No? Then just stfu please.
Nothing anyone goes through in life is reason enough to kill yourself.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member

Honestly Kaiser, it doesn't take a genius to get to your reasoning...

What about the hurt it causes the family and friends? Go tell them that!

:rolleyes:

Kaiser

'Nothing is worth killing yourself for'?

As bluenomore says: ACCORDING TO YOU!

Obviously none of you have ever witnessed parents/grandperents suffer in old age. You haven't been there, you don't understand, now please just stop talking.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
'Nothing is worth killing yourself for'?

As bluenomore says: ACCORDING TO YOU!

Obviously none of you have ever witnessed parents/grandperents suffer in old age. You haven't been there, you don't understand, now please just stop talking.
I have, been there, saw it and felt it.
I have also seen someone kill themselves. The anguish displayed by the family and friends is enough to sicken a person.

They had options. They chose, instead, to end their lives.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
At some point modern medicine can't take away the pain without make a complete zombie out of the person. At that point, I feel it is right to give the person a choice to escape the suffering.

Same with an animal that gets trapped in a poacher's snare and can't be saved. Its better to kill it with a shotgun than to allow it to "live" the rest of its life (say 5 hours) in pain & suffering. (Slightly crude analogy there with the animal, but you get the point)

Whether the man's suicide was "justified" is difficult to say from an outside perspective....so no comment on that.

Imo it is a problem that assisted suicide is illegal in SA. Now the doctors must just sit & watch helplessly how their patient suffers. Doctors should have a choice in *exceptional* cases.

TheHiveMind

Banned

Agreed, is it not selfish to expect someone you love to continue to live a tortured life just so you don't have to feel sorry for yourself?

The only reason we view suicide as a terrible thing is because we view death as bad. I don't.
We will all die. It is not such a bad thing to be able to choose where and when you go. What song you listen to, what/who you think about before you die. To get yourself prepared for death. To say goodbye.

Last edited:

Waaib

Executive Member
Imo it is a problem that assisted suicide is illegal in SA. Now the doctors must just sit & watch helplessly how their patient suffers. Doctors should have a choice in *exceptional* cases.
I reckon it could get very tricky if assisted suicide was legal though. There would immediately be a whole string of issues/cases where murderers claim to be helping people kill themselves and therefore not guilty etc...