Super budget 7 seater help please

flytek

I'm trying to help a long time employee find a nice car for himself.
The family is 6 persons inclyding a 1 year old.
He would like a 7 seater ideally and so far I've been looking at toyota avanzas and nissan grand livinas.
Lets call the budget R100k and cheap to maintain as most important while also looking for fuel consumption that won't be prohibitively expensive.
I looked at honda mobilio but hear that honda parts are expensive.
Does anyone have any other ideas of vehicles that might fit the task?
Thanks for any assistence.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Renault triber is the latest 7 seater out.. not sure on the safety side what it's packing, so that should be checked out..

Mazda also has a 7 seater, forget the name now..

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Executive Member

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Renault trainer is the latest 7 seater out.. not sure on the safety side what it's packing, so that should be checked out..

Did you mean Triber? Brand new they are 200k now, have had one since launch, apparently its got 4 stars.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Autocorrect..

Didn't mean a brand new one..
Doubt you'll find one for 100k,they've only been out for 18 months and they've not gone down in price, second hand with more mileage is still higher then what we paid for the prestige model in 2020.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
with that budget, I will blindly go for the Avanza.
It's going to be stolen, plus it's not much of a family car, it looks like it was designed to be a taxi from the start.

You were right on the money with.the Livina, same 1.6 engine as the Tiida, older Qashqai, Duster and Almera.

The Suzuki Ertiga is also an option, but in terms of quality the Livina is way ahead.

Tman*

Expert Member
Renault triber is the latest 7 seater out.. not sure on the safety side what it's packing, so that should be checked out..

I drove one for a month (rental) and I think its more catered for the Asian, or midget market.

Rear boot space with 7 seats up leaves you with enough room for a laptop bag in the boot. Here is the kicker, if you want to fold the 3rd row of seats up (to create more boot space) you have to push the 2nd row of seats all the way forward, rendering the 2nd row of seats useless as there is no legspace. Design fail.

Ive also driven Avanza rentals extensively and must say its much better. It also has a lot more oomph.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I drove one for a month (rental) and I think its more catered for the Asian, or midget market.

Rear boot space with 7 seats up leaves you with enough room for a laptop bag in the boot. Here is the kicker, if you want to fold the 3rd row of seats up (to create more boot space) you have to push the 2nd row of seats all the way forward, rendering the 2nd row of seats useless as there is no legspace. Design fail.

Ive also driven Avanza rentals extensively and must say its much better. It also has a lot more oomph.
You don't have to push the 2nd row, we've had the car for 18 months, sure we only use the 3rd row when my wife is taking a lot of kids to karate, so it's mostly in 5 seater mode and the back seats have had 2 adults in them.
The reason it's got a small boot in 7 seater mode is because the car is a little shorter then a Clio. My Clio is longer by 50cm yet can't get as much in, it's actually quite a marvel what the Triber can take.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

It's the Mazda 5, I heard that their parts are also not on the affordable side, not sure how true it is.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The Honda Mobilio is also an option, The Brio vibes are bad but it has a 1.5 engine and it is a Honda, he'll have plenty of time to save for parts before it breaks.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The 5 or Livina based on your budget.

Both are manual only trannies, dunno if that is an obstacle.

Tman*

Expert Member

found some archived pics:

The boot is 20cm deep when the 3rd row of seats are in use:
1.jpeg
Note leg space with seat folded down, vs folded up:
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
Front seats are pushed back to accommodate 6tf tall driver

Craig_

Honorary Master
I'd look for an old caddy at that price range. My current work vehicle is a 7 seater caddy, it's old and sitting on close to 280k km's, but it works and hasn't broken down yet. And this thing has a hard life. It's used as a bakkie and it has to carry loads. Sure you can get a 12 yo old one for that price.

It's diesel and gets around 10l/100 km driven 90% short distances, almost always loaded up heavily and driven hard. That's not too bad. If driven decently consumption improves. Caddy also has lots more space than the vehicles mentioned here.

Last edited:

flytek

So many good suggestions. Thanks.
Mazda 5 with 2.0 engine probably thirsty.
VW caddy seem expensive still.
Datsun Go+ could work too.