Super Rugby 2018

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Taking race completely out of it this is not unique to SA rugby. You push young guns in with all the fanfair and they do fail from time to time.

The fallout though is amplified in our context when it comes to a player of color.
I actually think it is even more stressful in our country for players of color, because they are excellent and play an exceptional game, then get pushed due to political and other reasons to early into the prime spots and then fail, ending or limiting their careers.

Elton tried hard but did not do well on his first stab, he is a very different player now. Bok quality, maybe, but there are a lot of others out there that also shine brightly.

Yes, but that also applies to ‘excellent’ white players who are alienated by the change who applies their merit elsewhere.

disperse the tech

Fact- Naas & Nick played in the ''apartheid/segregrated era''. They represented a small part of the population when playing for the discredited Springbok team of that era. They are apartheid players, as much as others say Ashwin was a quota player. We won't tolerate this crap anymore.

SA-UK

Banned
In the video clip one of them says to Willemse ""obviously you're a quota" or something to that effect, prompting some sort of meltdown from Willemse.

Link?...which video? a few clips have been posted in here...

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Fact- Naas & Nick played in the ''apartheid/segregrated era''. They represented a small part of the population when playing for the discredited Springbok team of that era. They are apartheid players, as much as others say Ashwin was a quota player. We won't tolerate this crap anymore.

We?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
In the video clip one of them says to Willemse ""obviously you're a quota" or something to that effect, prompting some sort of meltdown from Willemse.

Willemse did not claim to have been a better player than Nas Botha. That Naas was a better player is not in question but is not the issue.

I didn’t hear that anywhere, in neither clip, but I see it being hurled around on Twitter.

The Citizen reports it as such,

https://citizen.co.za/sport/south-a...dio-as-ashwin-willemse-walks-out-live-on-air/

“It’s important for me because I’ve played this game for a long time, like all of us here,” said Willemse.

“As a player, I was labelled a quota player for a long time. I’ve worked hard to earn my respect in this game. I’m not going to be patronised by two individuals who played in the Apartheid era, in the era of segregation. I won’t be undermined.”

He then proceeded to put down his notes while continuing: “I’m not going to work with people who undermine other people. You can sit and laugh about it. It’s fine, I don’t mind being ridiculous. I’m happy people can see this.”

While there was no concrete indication of what truly had set Willemse off, there was distinct tension between him and Botha moments earlier.

Asked to give his thoughts on the two Brumbies cards and the effect it had on the outcome of the match, Willemse immediately “sacrificed” his platform.

“Naas … I think. What did you think of the game? Did you think it was a good game,” he said.

Botha replied, laughing: “I’ve used all the time before the game. It’s your time now.”

The rest of the panel laughs but Willemse clearly remains irritated.

“Please, I think don’t let us patronise each other here. Please, let’s have your view.”

Botha is dumbstruck by it all, leading Mallett to give his views.

This seemed to prompt Willemse to finally lose his patience and just give up on it all.

I know that Nick said something hardly audible, but it wasn't close to 'quota'.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Yes, but that also applies to ‘excellent’ white players who are alienated by the change who applies their merit elsewhere.

Pretty much why I said take the race out of it, it happens to everyone, all individuals. I do think though that because of our political pressure though, when players of color fail its a much bigger deal locally than and average whito from stoksielaleenfontein for arguments sake.

SA-UK

Banned
OK guys lets get back on track here,

I'm sure we would all like to know where "exactly" in the broadcast did Botha or Mallet supposedly insinuate or say anything about colour, race, quota, etc that could have caused an issue with Willemse.

Video evidence...?

Sneeky

Honorary Master
I know that Nick said something hardly audible, but it wasn't close to 'quota'.

Not sure if anyone recorded the full game, but earlier on there were some critical comments of Elton and his past Bok performance. Its the only thing I can think of that may have triggered Ashwen.

Sad man, Ashwen is a good dude. comes from a hard background and did well for himself. This seems like a bit of a pinball machine 'tilt'

Sneeky

Honorary Master
If anyone has the game recorded, there was some chit chat about Elton much earlier on regarding Bok, inclusion.
It was not very complementary. I was not watching at the time but listening from one ear. Maybe I misheard but I would love to see/hear that again.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Not sure if anyone recorded the full game, but earlier on there were some critical comments of Elton and his past Bok performance. Its the only thing I can think of that may have triggered Ashwen.

Sad man, Ashwen is a good dude. comes from a hard background and did well for himself. This seems like a bit of a pinball machine 'tilt'

Yes, that is also what I believe and it has been previously mentioned in this thread.

Remember this,

https://www.colouredkleurling.co.za...-off-between-nick-mallett-and-ashwin-willemse

though that is an opinion article, it has happened many times.

This ought to be discussed here -> https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/954907-Ashwin-Willemse-meltdown-on-Supersport/page3

Sneeky

Honorary Master

Sneeky

Honorary Master
No clue tbh, but will wager Eltons name is in their somewhere, safe bet in Vegas.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
42 10 right now, hard yards but coming back from that is a pipe dream