Super Rugby 2019

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
With the exception of the Bulls, every away team won this weekend. Predictions must be up the pole!

rietrot

Honorary Master
I thought the superhero stuff was once off?

The bulls look good lets hope they can carry this form going foward and continue to play good running rugby. Last year it lasted for 3 games and then everything when to shît

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Well as a Stormers supporter that was just plain embarrassing.

Luckily I knew they were going to be out-classed and picked the Bulls as the winners, who have a seriously impressive squad this year (no thanks for stealing Duane :p)

Sl8er

Executive Member
Wow, the Bulls are looking good!
The Stormers were totally and utterly outplayed.

Well done, Bulls.
Stormers...you disappoint! (-_-)
Let's just hope that this was a once-off...but yeah, as was mentioned, they're in a bad place -behind the scenes- and I'm pretty sure this has affected them at least a little.
Still no excuse for that poor of a performance, though.

DWPTA

Expert Member
An impressive win by Lions against the Jaguares. Sadie has written future Bok all over him and hopefully the Lions sign him permanently.

Lions defense also 110% better.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Watched a bit of the lions game, really don't understand the point of the 1) flat kicks or 2) up-and-unders without any forward distance but that's just me, really don't see the point of all the kicking.

Happy with the win though, all that was missing in the previous 3 seasons to get the home final. Lion for champs this year :p

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
The Rebels were really strong against the Brumbies, who, to their credit, were already much better than last year.

Rebels only missed out on the play-offs last year due to points differential. I reckon they're going to be a force this year. Playing with a lot of confidence, and Cooper seems to have settled into a good space, much less erratic.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Seems Vodacom aren't happy that the stormers decided not to wear their thor kits.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/5-talking-points-super-rugby-week-1-20190218-4
The deal with Marvel was not only made by Vodacom, but also by SA Rugby and Multichoice. Monies will be allocated to CHOC (Childhood Cancer Foundation) and the plan is to raise R1 million, through local derbies, throughout this Super Rugby season. A ticket purchaser can add R5 when purchasing their attendance and that R5 will be donated to CHOC. For every tackle in a local derby, the three sponsors will donate an additional R100 to CHOC. Marvel usually sponsors SuperHero Sunday(s) internationally and they, Disney SA, extended the agreement throughout the Super Rugby season iirc, but have no say in the deal other than their brands being used.

http://choc.org.za/vodacom-super-rugby/

DHL do have their name rather largely printed on the SuperHero strip so I don’t know why they would argue a donation program otherwise where everyone involved agreed to. I wouldn’t be surprised that it was WPRU’s management who ultimately made the decision because DHL had no incentive to do so. I think Tank was given a quick excuse and he Tweeted how it was told to him.

Why would DHL burn a bridge with CHOC, Vodacom, SA Rugby, Multichoice and Disney SA, and children in need?

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Some sh*tty picks to have to make for this weekend:

Stormers/Lions: On current form, this shouldn't be that tough. But The Stormers always raise themselves at home and coupled to a Lions team travelling back from Argentina and it's suddenly not that clear. (Heart - Stormers, Head - Lions)

Jaguares/Bulls: Ditto the above game. Bulls travel bogey could rear its head and The Jaguares should've shaken off that rust from their first game. (Heart - Bulls, Head Jaguares).

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
I think the Bulls are still early enough in their season to pull of another solid win - heart and head going Bulls. Ditto for the Lions, cannot see them going down to that messy of a breezer team. Sharks can and have beaten the Blues so I'm hoping for more. It's the rest of the picks that could go any which way and throw me for a loop again.

Damn it's good to have ruggers back!

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I think the Bulls are still early enough in their season to pull of another solid win - heart and head going Bulls. Ditto for the Lions, cannot see them going down to that messy of a breezer team. Sharks can and have beaten the Blues so I'm hoping for more. It's the rest of the picks that could go any which way and throw me for a loop again.

Damn it's good to have ruggers back!
Sharks love playing NZ sides so I'll happily back them against the Blues.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I have no idea what to think of the sharks yet. I'm not sure if they were good or if the sunwolfs were just really shît.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The Blues played really well against the Crusaders, but then again, Leon MacDonald is a Crusader's man. The team will be in a better place, I believe Umaga did well, but the team lacked culture and MacDonald seems to understand that better as a coach. Glad they kept Umaga as assistant coach.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I have no idea what to think of the sharks yet. I'm not sure if they were good or if the sunwolfs were just really shît.
Bit of both. Singapore isn't the easiest place to play and the Sharks didn't just scrape through, they bossed the game. Think back at home in familiar conditions they should have too much for the Blues

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Rene Ranger is already out, ruptured ACL. No more games this season. Ranger is now positionally replaced with Gerhard van den Heever with Jason Emery coming in at the back. Nakamura is now being pushed up into the team at centre who would have been initially rested up and until round 6.

Again, only 6 ethnic Japanese players in this team like last week, but with 3 in the starting line-up.