Surprising South African browser stats

F

Fudzy

How do these compare to your effective measure results for the same period?

I O U

On tablets, Opera was neck-and-neck with Chrome, generating 6.43% of page views, but is dwarfed by the likes of Safari (57.49%) and Android (28.14%).
The bold part doesn't make sense - Android's an OS, so how can they give it a % to compare, against the 3 others mentioned that are browsers (and what this article's about). Furthermore, Chrome is Androids browser so then by deduction you could add the 6.43% + 28.14% to = 34.57% for Chrome/Android ; unless I'm misguided, but that statement may need revision.

Personally, I recently tried out Chrome on a new smartphone, but it was terribly slow in loading pages; when prompted to update to the next version, I first read the comments on Google Play and not one was positive, so continue to use Opera Mini, which is also fantastic for downloads ; at least when switching between the Mini browser, file manager & mp3/mp4 player, the pages don't reload everytime like that ridiculous IE or generic browser they put on the phones, so Opera Mini's my # 1 choice on a phone.

Chrome's the best, I find, on a PC / laptop.

Jan

Drifting in the black
The bold part doesn't make sense - Android's an OS, so how can they give it a % to compare, against the 3 others mentioned that are browsers (and what this article's about)
As I understand it, the default Android browser is another version of Chrome. StatCounter has just decided to track it separately from Chrome for Android.

Of the Android smartphones I've used, only Nexus devices ship with the actual Chrome as its default browser.

I O U

@Jan - thanks for the additional info.
I didn't think of that - on this new phone, a Huawei Y300, it came pre-installed with the ''Google search'' browser which I presume is the Android one, plus Chrome which can't be moved/deleted unless one roots, I'd imagine.

Messugga

Honorary Master
As I understand it, the default Android browser is another version of Chrome. StatCounter has just decided to track it separately from Chrome for Android.

Of the Android smartphones I've used, only Nexus devices ship with the actual Chrome as its default browser.
HTC also runs Chrome out of the box, it seems.

rogerwe

Very interesting stats, especially the last one of platforms.

Another interesting graph would be the browser engines: If you consider that Opera, Safari, Android and Chrome all use the same engine (viz. WebKit), its more of a race between WebKit, Gecko (Firefox) and Trident (IE).

When/if IE switches to WebKit, then its not really a comparison anymore of IE vs the rest of the world, because then IE will l actually become a pleasure to use for end user and developers alike :p

I mean if Opera canned their engine to adopt WebKit, maybe M$ will follow suite...NOT!

Jan

Drifting in the black
HTC also runs Chrome out of the box, it seems.
You have the HTC One? My HTC One X didn't...

Another interesting graph would be the browser engines: If you consider that Opera, Safari, Android and Chrome all use the same engine (viz. WebKit), its more of a race between WebKit, Gecko (Firefox) and Trident (IE).
Indeed! Very sad that StatCounter doesn't seem to differentiate between Opera versions... at least not in their public stats.

While I'd love to get excited about Webkit becoming a de facto standard for rendering HTML, there are sadly still some differences between the browsers that developers will have to account for.

For example, the web video fight is far from over (though the MPAA being allowed into the W3C and Tim Berners-Lee advocating DRM in the HTML spec does not bode well for software freedom on the web).

jax_maxit

I'm not surprised that Opera Mini has gained such momentum. It is simply the best mobile browser I have ever used. Its compression is the best. In our country, where data is not that cheap, that alone puts it ahead of the competition. Uc Browser is nearly as good, but not as popular I guess.
On my desktop and notebook, it's Firefox all the way. Sure Opera contains all my bookmarks (synced from Mini), but there's something bout that fox.