Switching to Ubuntu

gamer16

Expert Member
My swap space file is about 2GB currently. I did try it with my second DIMM disabled and it still ran great with a 4GB Swap Space. I would not say that it ran as if it had 8GB of ram, but it did not feel like it had 8GB of RAM, but it was still pleasant and quite quick.

I should maybe keep System manager open to see if I am even using the Space.

Even with a lot of RAM browsers still consume quite a bit of resources. Websites these days run a lot of code client side.
True, I will, if I remember, run Mint in a virtual machine and run a couple of things with and without swap with 4gb of memory then I'll show you the usage tomorrow.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Your swap should be double your RAM. Swap file is ON the SATA drive. Anything that touches SATA will be your bottleneck.

If you have a SATA drive, perhaps you have the same problem I have.
I do have a SATA drive.

I am not sure on the exact technically with regards to swap file sizing, many people say it should be double if you have less 8GB or maybe just 25-50% of RAM size if you have more than 8GB.

The easiest "cure" to this problem will be a SSD which I will grab I December, and maybe 2 8GB 1333Mhz DIMMS.

With Linux, I should have future proofed myself for a while.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
True, I will, if I remember, run Mint in a virtual machine and run a couple of things with and without swap with 4gb of memory then I'll show you the usage tomorrow.
I'll do the same as well and see how it goes with 8GB.

Edit: this is an apples and oranges situation, but a good approximation of what you could expect if you choose to use Linux.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I do have a SATA drive.

I am not sure on the exact technically with regards to swap file sizing, many people say it should be double if you have less 8GB or maybe just 25-50% of RAM size if you have more than 8GB.

The easiest "cure" to this problem will be a SSD which I will grab I December, and maybe 2 8GB 1333Mhz DIMMS.

With Linux, I should have future proofed myself for a while.
Your swap should be double your RAM, this has been what I know since Linux was a thing. It may have changed, but thats the rule I keep to with SWAP and PAGEFILE.

SSD will change your computing experience, I was watching a SATA drive running windows 10. Oh my word.....100% usage 90% of the time. Those SATA drives suck for SWAP.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
SSD will change your computing experience, I was watching a SATA drive running windows 10. Oh my word.....100% usage 90% of the time. Those SATA drives suck for SWAP.
This is actually why I changed to Linux. even with a 16GB Page file memory allocation, I had 67% of my RAM in use while my laptop was Idling. Any load or usage would send the Drive usage up to 100% and my RAM usage would not move an inch.

I have actually never had this issue at all with Windows, until Windows 10

gamer16

Expert Member
This is actually why I changed to Linux. even with a 16GB Page file memory allocation, I had 67% of my RAM in use while my laptop was Idling. Any load or usage would send the Drive usage up to 100% and my RAM usage would not move an inch.

Windows 10 still gives me nightmares, it seems very fragile lately and also just scaly, watching what processes are running its always doing something for some reason.

I've installed W7 on a old WD 80gb just to run GTA V better. The performance difference is major.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma

The bottleneck is the drive. It was so bad on my system, the internet was faster than the read write speeds of chrome :/

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
Your swap should be double your RAM, this has been what I know since Linux was a thing. It may have changed, but thats the rule I keep to with SWAP and PAGEFILE.
Yeah, a lot has changed since Linux became a thing; 64-bit kernels, cheap RAM, etc.

I recall reading Ubuntu had to update their installer recently when a client ran into problems installing a bunch of machines with 1TB RAM and 128GB SSDs.

Red Hat's swap space recommendations (excluding hibernation) from:
https://access.redhat.com/documenta...-x86#sect-recommended-partitioning-scheme-x86
RAM < 2GB, SWAP = 2 * RAM
RAM 2GB to 8GB, SWAP = RAM
RAM 8GB to 64GB, SWAP = 4GB to 0.5 * RAM
RAM > 64GB, SWAP = 4GB minimum

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Yeah, a lot has changed since Linux became a thing; 64-bit kernels, cheap RAM, etc.

I recall reading Ubuntu had to update their installer recently when a client ran into problems installing a bunch of machines with 1TB RAM and 128GB SSDs.

Red Hat's swap space recommendations (excluding hibernation) from:
https://access.redhat.com/documenta...-x86#sect-recommended-partitioning-scheme-x86
RAM < 2GB, SWAP = 2 * RAM
RAM 2GB to 8GB, SWAP = RAM
RAM 8GB to 64GB, SWAP = 4GB to 0.5 * RAM
RAM > 64GB, SWAP = 4GB minimum
I guess it makes sense when you have a TB of RAM :p

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
My desktop has 16GB RAM and no swap, running Ubuntu 18.10.

My laptop has 4GB RAM and a 1GB swap file, running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
It's been on now for about 2.5 hours; browsing and checking email, I cloned a git repo and compiled a C project, and have Telegram and IRC clients running in the background. Not a single byte of swap has been used.

I'm using the Unity desktop on both.

It does dependa lot on your system though.

If you're using ZFS then you'll need more RAM, and you might find yourself using swap occasionally.

I almost always put a swap partition on my drive equal to my RAM, just out of habit. It very seldom gets used, but it does occasionally if I leave lots of things open for weeks and weeks of uptime.