Switching to Ubuntu

gamer16

Executive Member
I believe they are, for the most part that is. The drivers worked well apart from the resolution issue, and the other apps making use of it having issues with it but I solved that.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I believe they are, for the most part that is. The drivers worked well apart from the resolution issue, and the other apps making use of it having issues with it but I solved that.
You running an old geforce where Nvidia dropped driver support?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You said you didn't have internet though? Was that a driver failure as well.

Wonder if the OS's own driver wouldn't sort you out if you had Internet.

gamer16

Executive Member
Yes it's old, support for Fermi ended in April this year but the last stable release drivers will still be fully functional for many years too come, especially on Linux.

The issues I'm having can be resolved somewhat easily, I just need to take the time to learn Linux and apply the solutions.

gamer16

Executive Member
You said you didn't have internet though? Was that a driver failure as well.

Wonder if the OS's own driver wouldn't sort you out if you had Internet.
I just used my phone's hotspot, gets expensive quickly though hence I say the PC isn't permanently connected.

newby_investor

Expert Member
@gamer16 is using old hardware, but with new-ish software it shouldn't be an issue. I remember having issues like this in 2011 or 2012 last? I'm not sure where to even start debugging anymore.

Granted I haven't used an Nvidia GFX card in about as long. Either onboard Intel or AMD discrete.

gamer16

Executive Member
Don’t you have DSL? Or why weren’t you just connected directly?
For reasons best know to somebody else no, they have laid fiber a couple of months ago but its not active for subscription yet.

gamer16

Executive Member
@gamer16 is using old hardware, but with new-ish software it shouldn't be an issue. I remember having issues like this in 2011 or 2012 last? I'm not sure where to even start debugging anymore.

Granted I haven't used an Nvidia GFX card in about as long. Either onboard Intel or AMD discrete.
Linux is much better at supporting older hardware than windows would be, I'm sure the issues I'm having have solutions, just need to take the time to scour Google a bit.

inanabhay

Can you backup to the working 1TB external?

Did you format your old HDD after you put it in the enclosure? If not, all the old stuff will still be there and will be owned by "root" which means your non-admin user won't be able to write to anywhere on the drive.
No, didn't format the old drive

Kindly advise:
Old HDD is 750GB plus i have the external 1TB drive.
My SSD is 240GB, i have 148GB available.
How best to use the 2 external drives?

Thanks

ponder

Honorary Master
No, didn't format the old drive

Kindly advise:
Old HDD is 750GB plus i have the external 1TB drive.
My SSD is 240GB, i have 148GB available.
How best to use the 2 external drives?

Thanks
What do you want to do?

inanabhay

I don't know, I don't play games and don't download movies, seems like i have excess space and drives - one of which i can use for backup of personal and work related stuff - suggestions?

newby_investor

Expert Member
Really doesn't matter what you do. If you don't need the extra space, back up to both and keep one off site, at a relative's home for example.

gamer16

Executive Member
I don't know, I don't play games and don't download movies, seems like i have excess space and drives - one of which i can use for backup of personal and work related stuff - suggestions?
Use it as a backup drive, you can set linux up in such a way so that if your SSD fails the backup will serve as a exact mirror, so you wont lose anything.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Use it as a backup drive, you can set linux up in such a way so that if your SSD fails the backup will serve as a exact mirror, so you wont lose anything.
This is a good idea. The program you'll want to look up is called rsync.

gamer16

Executive Member
This is a good idea. The program you'll want to look up is called rsync.
More so if you want to have some fun playing with electronics. You can build a Rasberry Pi to control your extra storage via usb through a external drive adapter. Then you essentially have a custom built NAS. Then have the NAS initiate backups from devices connected on the network every day or so.

In essence provided you can set it up correctly when you or your family come home and all their devices connect to your local network, they can all be backed up locally and automatically.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Update:

Thanks to Newby_Investor for pointing out that the file system is different between Windows and Linux.

I am happily enjoying Mint at the moment. After getting used to the OS for almost a month, I am going to back up my data and install a more complete Debian package.

I will not be using a Windows system at home again and the learning experience is actually fun.

Edit: when did Firefox get so good?