Taking over a .co.za domain name.

rcktoo

Hi guys,

I've recently started redesigning a website for a family friend and have had to switch hosting accounts (away from Hetzner) and take ownership of the co.za domain so I can change the nameservers, manage the yearly fee, etc.
The original co.za domain was registered at Hetzner. I was told by the previous designer: "You can take over by signing up with .co.za and then becoming the admin for the site." That was the last thing I've heard... A little frustrating but hey.

I haven't really had to do this before and was hoping someone could lend a helping hand or give some advice?

Thanks so much guys,
rcktoo :]

House

Banned
Hi guys,

I've recently started redesigning a website for a family friend and have had to switch hosting accounts (away from Hetzner) and take ownership of the co.za domain so I can change the nameservers, manage the yearly fee, etc.
The original co.za domain was registered at Hetzner. I was told by the previous designer: "You can take over by signing up with .co.za and then becoming the admin for the site." That was the last thing I've heard... A little frustrating but hey.

I haven't really had to do this before and was hoping someone could lend a helping hand or give some advice?

Thanks so much guys,

No, there is no way you can simply sign up and take over any domain.

You need to contact Hetzener and inform them that you intend to move the domain and change all contact, technical and admin detail. Once they give you permission, you can do an update and they will approve the changes.

If you do attempt an update without contacting Hetzener, their systems will simply deny the change.

With the new EPP system I am not 100% sure how it works, but one of the many domain registrants here can give you more information.

Domains.co.za (Wayne)

Domains.co.za representative
Company Rep
Hi guys,

"You can take over by signing up with .co.za and then becoming the admin for the site."

rcktoo, you cant really sign up with co.za unless you become a Registrar but you can take over and manage your own domain directly via co.za (if you know how) or an ISP. Quite a few ISP's including ourselves offer that facility, with the right back-end CP it is actually quite easy.

If you need some assistance PM me.

Domains.co.za (Wayne)

Domains.co.za representative
Company Rep
With the new EPP system I am not 100% sure how it works, but one of the many domain registrants here can give you more information.

House, if you would like an overview on how the .co.za EPP system works, PM me your details and I'll call you in the morning to discuss.

gkm

Expert Member
Hi guys,

Thanks so much guys,

I would suggest that you stay with Hetzner. You can do all that stuff while the account is with Hetzner and they provide nice facilities to do it. Once you are more familiar with how all this stuff works, then you can maybe decide to change things if you really still want too. But do contact Hetzner or the previous designer to get the admin login for the account.

rcktoo

Thanks for the reply gkm. I asked him for the admin login for the domain, but he said he couldn't share it because "he wasn't giving out his webserver information". Which I totally understand, ecspecially if he has other clients who he manages?

That's what is making this a little frustrating/confusing.

:)

froot

Honorary Master
Thanks for the reply gkm. I asked him for the admin login for the domain, but he said he couldn't share it because "he wasn't giving out his webserver information". Which I totally understand, ecspecially if he has other clients who he manages?

That's what is making this a little frustrating/confusing.

:)

With Hetzner you've got two types of logins:

The login for a site, ie mail.domain.co.za
The global login for a profile user, ie the developer above, where all the domains he's created under his profile is listed.

Do you have the ftp details for the site? With Hetzner the default site login at Hetzner is the same as the ftp password.

rcktoo

Thanks for the reply froot.

Yes I do. I found that once I was logged in using the ftp details, I still had limited control over the domain settings. :(

rcktoo

Tried emailing Hetzner for help with maybe moving the domain to a new account. Haven't heard a reply yet. :/

froot

Honorary Master
Tried emailing Hetzner for help with maybe moving the domain to a new account. Haven't heard a reply yet. :/

If you're not listed as a technical contact or domain owner they won't reply.

rcktoo

Within 15 minutes of posting that last message, Hetzner sent an email with everything explained perfectly and have began the transfer process. Super impressed with their support so far. Wow.

gkm

Expert Member
Hence my suggestion that you stay with Hetzner (just with your own account obviously).

froot

Honorary Master
Within 15 minutes of posting that last message, Hetzner sent an email with everything explained perfectly and have began the transfer process. Super impressed with their support so far. Wow.

Cool man.

Yeah Hetzner has amazing support... if you have issues.... don't bother us.... bother them... they'll help :D