Tamiflu-resistant H1N1 flu found

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.news24.com/Content/World...8-2009 07-08/Tamiflu-resistant_H1N1_flu_found

La Jolla - A strain of H1N flu that is resistant to treatment with the drug Tamiflu has been discovered near the US-Mexican border, the Pan-American Health Organisation (Paho) said on Monday.

"We have found resistance to Tamiflu on the border. We have observed some cases, few to be sure, in El Paso and close to McAllen, Texas," said Maria Teresa Cerqueira, head of the local PAHO office.

Cases of A(H1N1) that were resistant to the anti-viral medicine have now been found in the US, Canada, Denmark, Hong Kong and Japan.
Experts gathered in La Jolla, California on Monday to discuss the response to the outbreak, said the resistance was likely due to overuse of antivirals like Tamiflu.

"In the US Tamiflu is sold with a prescription, but in Mexico and Canada it is sold freely and taken at the first sneeze. Then, when it is really needed, it doesn't work," said Cerqueira.

Roche, the manufacturer of Tamiflu, has said it expects a 0.5% rate of case resistance based on clinical trials.

Cerquiera said one patient diagnosed with a Tamiflu-resistant strain had been treated with Zanamivir - an anti-viral made by GlaxoSmithKline - and another was given no alternative medication. Both survived.

Since the swine flu outbreak emerged earlier this year it has killed 353 people in the US and 146 in Mexico, according to authorities from each country.

Manufacturing capacity for vaccines woefully inadequate

A large proportion of nearly 1 000 recorded deaths around the world since the virus was first identified in Mexico in April have involved people with underlying medical conditions.

World Health Organisation chief Margaret Chan has urged countries to boost their drug stockpiles amid warnings of the virus's continued spread.

"Manufacturing capacity for influenza vaccines is finite and woefully inadequate for a world of 6.8 billion people, nearly all of whom are susceptible to infection by this entirely new and highly contagious virus," Chan said on July 14.

A vaccine against the disease is currently being tested for safety and effectiveness, and is expected to be ready in the next two to four months, although the precise date is unclear.

US officials have recommended that children and pregnant women be among the groups first in line for swine flu shots, but said they were unlikely to have enough vaccine for everyone once the drug is ready to be rolled out.

Greece has announced it will vaccinate all its 11-million-strong population, the first country to introduce such a broad measure amid the current pandemic.

With such pledges emerging, developing nations have expressed concerns they will be left out, as richer nations race to build stock piles.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said developing countries could need about one billion dollars by the end of the year to fund measures against the swine flu pandemic, especially vaccines.

Oh Gaaaats!!! :eek:

EtienneK

Expert Member
Time to get normal swine flu so that you can be a bit more resistant to this strain!!

Pitbull

Verboten
The world is becoming an overy populated place.

That being said, AIDS seems to have only been the start of population control it seems. We are hearing more and more of these kinds of Viruses being found and mutating into unstopable forces. It seems as if the world will be a pretty interresting place in about 30 - 50 years ;)

TonyHawk

Expert Member
The world is becoming an overy populated place.

That being said, AIDS seems to have only been the start of population control it seems. We are hearing more and more of these kinds of Viruses being found and mutating into unstopable forces. It seems as if the world will be a pretty interresting place in about 30 - 50 years ;)

Pity alot of forumites here won't be around... if thats the case... as they are pretty ignorant
For those hoping it helps population control... we'll miss you too... These things know no boundaries
Whether you're rich or poor... if it comes... it comes & you go :rolleyes: lets hope not ;)

Smooth Criminal

Expert Member
but in Mexico and Canada it is sold freely and taken at the first sneeze. Then, when it is really needed, it doesn't work
Now I know why Cartman hates 'em, they're screwing it up for everyone else :(

Pitbull

Verboten
Pity alot of forumites here won't be around... if thats the case... as they are pretty ignorant
For those hoping it helps population control... we'll miss you too... These things know no boundaries
Whether you're rich or poor... if it comes... it comes & you go :rolleyes: lets hope not ;)

I never said I'm immune to it. If I die I die. Still doesn't make the statement any less true does it ;)

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
they also said they found another strain of the Aids virus here in africa in a woman. they said is a Simian (spelling) strain from gorillas or monkeys or something.

krycor

Honorary Master
Its not so much that the diseases are mutating faster than ever i think, its that now if something happens on the other side of the planet unlike before it won't just take out that population but be carried to every continent. The needs to be better controls and checks.

milomak

Honorary Master
i can't help but feel the whole thing about H1N1 is an overreaction to 24 hour news channels.

TonyHawk

Expert Member
i can't help but feel the whole thing about H1N1 is an overreaction to 24 hour news channels.

Tsk Tsk Tsk... RIP :rolleyes:
Watch sh*t fly WHEN this hits the squatter camps... cause with ignorance... it will happen... costs nothing to be safe ;)

mercurial

MyBB Legend

Exactly. It's overhyped crap and it seems like they are trying to put the masses into a frenzy. It's no worse than normal flu. Most people recover normally, like they do when they get the "normal" flu. The thing that everyone has missed is that those people who "died from swine flu" actually went into hospitals or to their doctors with pre-existing medical conditions. The flu just made things worse and that's why they died. They may have not specifically died from the flu itself.

Last edited:

Pitbull

Verboten
Guys,

Be as it may, you guys are aware that a 22yo student died of this virus right?
Now I would assume a 22yo student is pretty fit and health. It's not something to take very lightly ;)

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Guys,

Be as it may, you guys are aware that a 22yo student died of this virus right?
Now I would assume a 22yo student is pretty fit and health. It's not something to take very lightly ;)

More people die from normal flu every year. If they publicize how many people die from "normal" flu every year, people will be more freaked out and start getting more paranoid about "normal" flu than this swine flu crap.

Pitbull

Verboten
More people die from normal flu every year. If they publicize how many people die from "normal" flu every year, people will be more freaked out and start getting more paranoid about "normal" flu than this swine flu crap.

So you can confirm a 22yo guy dying from the normal flu for me then?

Pitbull

Verboten

No I'm serious about this.

Yes people who die from Normal flu are either elderly or sick people with underlying conditions. Then you get the Majority dying because they are athletes in some form or another. They part take in sport while they have flu and die of heart failure.

You don't just die of the Flu.

However, in the case of this student he had no pre-existing conditions know to us and was pretty healthy. He died from Swine Flu....

There is a difference ;)