Tax questions

R13...

Honorary Master
I gots me a couple of questions regarding whether I can claim for these,
1) I will be studying this year. Can I claim travel with SARS for travel (as in the travel kms go under business on log book?) to/from university? Yes I receive a car allowance.
2) Can I claim for hotel accommodation?
3) Any other claimable expenses while I am studying?

TIA

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
It's not your job to study but something you want to pursue in your spare time so no, you can't claim for any of that.

saturnz

Honorary Master
you can put in a claim and see if they accept it, if they don't at least you tried

rrh

Expert Member
I gots me a couple of questions regarding whether I can claim for these,
1) I will be studying this year. Can I claim travel with SARS for travel (as in the travel kms go under business on log book?) to/from university? Yes I receive a car allowance.
2) Can I claim for hotel accommodation?
3) Any other claimable expenses while I am studying?

TIA

You are only allowed to claim deductions for expenses incurred in the production of income, so I doubt if SARS will allow the expenses.

vash87

Where are you getting your income from? Who pays your car allowance? Assuming you must be doing some work on top of your studies to be paying tax..

Don't expect any tax deductions relating to studying.. even if you try claim that your expenses are incurred in the production of future income, SARS will most likely see it as expenses of a capital nature and thus won't allow any deductions.

R13...

Honorary Master
Interesting then some people have been cheating on the tax man. Guess they must have claimed to have travelled for work instead of study

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Post grad studies are considered spare time pursuits?

Well he has a job (because he is asking if he can claim back on travel etc) which means his studying would be in his spare time - therefore it is a spare time pursuit.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but how would you work full time and study full time?

BloodBurner9000

As a silly idea, can't you take with the work laptop, click say an hour's work at the hotel, and then claim for all expenses incurred? You did travel for work purposes... Needed the soothing mountain air to perform your duties...

MKFrost

Expert Member
Just a side note....

Travel for work purposes entails travel to go see a client and or to a work site. A hotel and or university is not a work site. Also, travel to the office and back home cannot be claimed.

Also, claiming 'all' expenses - you can only claim expenses against the income derived from those expenses so you cannot just throw any odd expense into the mix just because its an expense.

R13...

Honorary Master
We are encouraged to network on this program I'm sure that can be defined as work:p