technologydirect.co.za

MrWireless

I had a look-see - as I am on a hunt for a laptop.

Not sure you will get much feedback, company was only registered in March this year.

Company Reg. Number: 2009/053949/23
VAT Reg. Number: Pending

Ive seen so many open and then close after a few months, which worries me warranty wise. That is why its the first thing I check! I personally am going to stick with a more established store...

Last edited:

OneEyedWelshman

My brother bought a HP laptop from them. It was retailing for about 10.5k but they had it on special for 8.5k which was a pretty damn good deal. After paying for the notebook and then meeting up with the owner to pick it up, we thought we may have been scammed since we waited about 10min before he managed to get there. But when he did arrive the notebook was still sealed and everything was in working order. The guy even had the Technology Direct banner stuck on his car so i'm pretty sure he runs a legit company.

kayvee

Expert Member
They must just be that new that no one has dealt with them yet.

Without any track record it's a difficult one, pot luck really.

Abe

Expert Member
If you get a branded laptop with or without an extended warranty, it should be fine.

eitai2001

Expert Member
Another thing that is good to note, they are paying for their ecommerce software ... not many people looking to defraud you would pay money to do it. So they seem pretty Legit ... I ran for 4 months before I registered or got a VAT number.

What laptop did they have by the way?

eitai2001

Expert Member
If you get a branded laptop with or without an extended warranty, it should be fine.
Don't be so sure ... not sure on laptops, but if you buy say a branded graphics card and the shop you bought it from goes under and owes that supplier money. If you take it to them to repair, they may reposess it and tell you to go to claim it from them. Sad but true ... happened to many customer of PC Gameworld in Sandton.

I would suspect its slightly different with HP though because you don't deal with the supplier, but their repair agent.

eitai2001

Expert Member
The HP Pavilion dv6-1130EI.
They told me the 1125EI is an Incredible Connection exclusive.
I'm sure Pavilions are import models? Or maybe they are from Tarsus who I haven't registered with. Been told they have k@k service + they want R1000 from me to register and will close my account if I don't buy regularly.

eitai2001

Expert Member
So you would advise against that?
I can't answer that ... because I may be wrong. I know from my one supplier I can't get the Pavilion models, but its not impossible that Tarsus does it. If it is an import, then yes ... especially from a new company, because if for some reason they go down, then your warranty will definitely go with them. If it is a local model, then all should be peachy.

Do you have the product page for it please?

eitai2001

Expert Member
What'll happen to the warranty if it's an import? Who do I speak to to find out about that?

Are you asking after the info posted in http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=183117?
If its an import. The warranty doesn't vest with the local venders. So the shop you bought it from will carry the warranty, and if something goes fugly, they have to either sort it out or send it overseas to get sorted out. This isn't so bad when you buy from a larger established store because they will gladly sort your warranty out. But for a new shop, its risky, because if they close down ... then to get your warranty you would need to send it overseas yourself.
Sometimes though, the product may carry an international warranty.

But like I say, I have no idea if these are imported ... so don't change your mind just yet.

chiskop

Executive Member
axiz carry the warranty on the Pavilions.

I had a problem with one of mine - took it in and was sorted in a few days (motherboard blew up). Didn't cost me anything. Even got a personal call from manager, when I said I wasn't going to be sharing my password with them.

eitai2001

Expert Member
How long ago was that? As far as I know, Axiz doesn't handle the warranties for HP anymore after HP's restructuring ... you have to go through Let Me Repair. But thats a good idea, phone Let Me Repair and ask them if the model is local and if they handle its warranty.