Telcos are not done with copper, yet!

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Telcos are not done with copper, yet!

With the arrival of fibre and broadband wireless, the demise of copper in the ground was predicted. However, it now appears that copper is entering into the realm of the broadband spectrum world. The latest development is G.fast – offering speeds approaching that of optic fibre, with researchers hinting that more technology is on its way.

Mister 44

Executive Member
...and their fix for being in an area where even "The Bestest-estest Mobile Network In South Africa"[SUP]TM[/SUP] manages nothing more than "Vodacom-SA E" on your phone and the ultimate ADSL speed is equal to 4mbps?

system32

Expert Member
I doubt lazy Telkom will upgrade except in a few private estates.

Most customers have "upto" 4Mbps.
I have "upto" 8Mbps ADSL, pay for 8Mbps and get 5Mbps.
I get 60% of what I pay for.

Thank goodness FTTH is coming and Telkom can stick their "upto" ADSL up their ...

Peon

Expert Member
NO Gfast. Lovemore Sibanda from Zimbabwe is still going to jack the cable.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
South Africa is amongst the first countries in the world to trial G.fast and deployment is imminent.
I heard some imminent things in my area in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015, 2016 and recently in 2017, but we are still in 2009?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Watching these trials with interest. Telkom could speed up deployment considerably if the right strategy was deployed. There is already a 'next generation' G-Fast standard in development, and the GOLD consortium in Europe is pushing across multiple countries for wider deployment.

What I'm curious about is the impact of FM radio, which is obviously around 100MHz. The G.790x standards do address this but it would be interesting to see field trial results.

Totempole

Expert Member
Don't get your hopes up. G.Fast is unlikely to be "deployed" before 2020.

Even when they do finally deploy it, businesses where fibre can't be installed will be the target market.

phex

So no G-fast, Fibre and it does not even RAIN for us in remote townships of South Africa. I gues I am stuck with MTN's R10 1GB night data for the next 3 coming forevers