Telemarketers - How to OPT Out

<?php?>

Brian Mdluli CEO of the DMA SA (Direct Marketing Association of South Africa) was interviewed on Carte Blanche about Opting Out.

Check out the link http://beta.mnet.co.za/carteblanche/Article.aspx?Id=4091&ShowId=2

http://www.dmasa.org/dmasa/dma_optout.php

The Opt Out Register (go to www.nationaloptout.co.za) was launched on 19 March 2007 and to date around 25 000 consumers have registered online to have their details removed from mailing lists used by marketers to promote goods and services. The Don't Contact Me list - previously known as the Mail Preference Service (MPS), serves the sole purpose of removing your name and address from prospect mailing lists. According to proposed law, any company embarking on a direct marketing campaign will be required to run their list against the Opt Out register and ensure that any names on the DMA register are deleted off their database. Although you will see a reduction in the unsolicited direct mail you receive, not all commercial mail will stop. For example you may continue to receive mail from companies with which you already do business with for example a banking institution - where you have provided consent for them to market to you. In addition, you may continue to receive mail addressed to the resident/occupant since the mail is not personalized. To register, click on the Do not contact icon and then complete the necessary fields. Of vital importance is the submission of your ID number to ensure that all your details are removed.

SMS Functionality

The DMA has launched SMS functionality for consumers who do not have access to the internet but want to register on the national Opt Out Register which essentially removes their details from mailing lists used by marketers to promote goods and services. To add your details to the Don't Contact Me list - previously known as the Mail Preference Service (MPS), SMS DMA followed by your ID number (this is crucial) to 31484. This serves the sole purpose of removing your name and address from all prospect mailing lists used by members of the Direct Marketing Association. With the opt out register now fully functional via the internet and SMS, the DMA is now looking into the establishment of a call centre within the next six months.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Tiny problem, which has been around for ages, when validating the e-mail link:
Server Error in '/DMA' Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /dma/dncvalidate.aspx

I'd really love to know how those supposed 25,000 people managed to register. Oh well, lets try texting then.

<?php?>

O' I registered with the DMA's opt-out yesterday without any problems and received a e-mail confirmation as well, maybe the site is being worked on. Will check again just to be certain.

<?php?>

yip, all is well, see https://www.nationaloptout.co.za/NationalOptOut.aspx, no HTTP errors there.

Or, search their database here, https://www.nationaloptout.co.za/Search.aspx

ID Number is registered on DNC Database, with the following selections!!!

Channel pre-emptive block Home Telephone, Work Telephone, Email, Cellphone, SMS, DirectMail

Times pre-emptive block 8am To 1pm, 1pm To 7pm, Saturday 9am To 12pm

Review Status

Industry pre-emptive block Financial Services, Insurance Services, Vacation And Hospitality Services, Automotive Services, Cellphone Services

Other Industries ALL

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Tiny problem, which has been around for ages, when validating the e-mail link:

I'd really love to know how those supposed 25,000 people managed to register. Oh well, lets try texting then.

I registered 1 of my phones but can't do any others as I am already registered.

Zyk1

Expert Member
I have done this registration many years ago.
Still get marketing calls, sms etc

F

Fudzy

eBucks people, be careful as opting out of financial services unticks that option for 1000 points :

Be registered for inContact, allow us to communicate with you (i.e. update your marketing consent to 'Yes'), receive your statements via email and keep your contact information up to date in the last 12 months

Acid0

Expert Member
The DMSA website is a bit unclear

So if you tick all the opt out categories you will then NOT be notified by advertisers or should untick all options?