Telkom confirms smartphone battery drain problems on LTE

FlashSA

Executive Member
The response from Telkom is exactly like their call centre support. "My ADSL is down" "Please reboot your router"

Sigh...

Can confirm with my dual sim Redmit Note 4. When I only have the Telkom sim active the battery drains twice as fast.

Randux

Expert Member
MyBB please explicitly tell them this is not an issue unique to Nokia 5 but every smartphone. Thank you.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Telkom obviously did not do their own test, and would have scapegoated which brand and model of phone used by Mybroadband.
Typical Telkom nonsensical clueless response on just reading the Mybroadband article.

SDM

Switching on LTE on Telkom on any iPhone brings up a warning that the mobile network has not been certified by the carrier for LTE.

The battery goes down so fast I can watch the state of charge percentage drop in real time. Tested on a 5C, 5S and 6S several times over the past two years. The 5C is unusable the battery goes flat so quickly.

Comparing two 6Ss side by side on MTN and Telkom, there is a vast difference in battery life between the two networks on LTE.

op365

Not just Nokia's...my wife Huawei Nova overnight when even connected to our WiFi would loose 30% battery with 4G enabled on her Telkom SIM. Changed to 3G only - 5% max overnight (unplug 21:00 and check battery level 06:00 next morning).
Honestly say amazed that you even got a response from Telkom as it is never their fault...reboot your router or go to closest Telkom shop are standard solutions to any problem.

dotcat

So. What does this mean? Nobody in Telkom's tech division uses Telkom as their service provider? Surely if you are a tech you would have noticed this? Oh wait, doesn't Huawei manage Telkom's 4G network?

In that case.... What does this mean? Nobody in Huawei SA's tech division uses Telkom as their service provider? Surely if you are a tech you would have noticed this?

Mthiboz Onlife

My LG G4 used to do the same thing, now my Huawei P Smart has the same problem... Telkom please fix this issue. I can't leave my phone data on because my phone die out quickly

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
My LG G4 used to do the same thing, now my Huawei P Smart has the same problem... Telkom please fix this issue. I can't leave my phone data on because my phone die out quickly
Did you try limiting it to 3G instead of completely switching data off?

Mthiboz Onlife

3G and 4G... Even Roaming on MTN consume battery 3x compare to MTN or Vodacom... I've Tested this myself to both my phones LG and Huawei. Switching Data on.... On Telkom Sim Card Drains Battery